2017 Q3 S Line - HELP! - Audi Q3 Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 35 Old 12-28-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
2017 Q3 S Line - HELP!

I bought my brand new Q3 S Line about a month ago. Ever since I drove it off the lot, it has been vibrating anywhere between around 40-80mph. It vibrates so badly that I can feel it in my seat, gas pedal, and at times the steering wheel.

I've taken it in for service 3 times for this issue. The shop foreman has driven the car with me and has said each time that he feels the vibration but it is not "any abnormal vibration for this model." This model does has the 19 inch wheels, which I do understand can cause a slightly rougher ride than the 18 inch wheels. This is what the shop foreman is attributing the vibration to. I don't believe, however, that a bigger wheel would cause consistent vibrating.

They balanced and rotated my tires the first time I brought it in, but the vibrating was worse after they did that.

The last time I brought it in, they lowered the PSI in my tires to 38 in the front and 40 in the back. The ride is now a bit smoother but the vibration is still present.

I am so frustrated. I feel like I am getting nowhere, so I found this forum and am hoping someone can help. Anyone else have this issue? This is my first luxury vehicle I have ever purchased, and I am very upset to spend all this money only to have a shaky, uncomfortable ride.
post #2 of 35 Old 12-28-2016, 06:55 PM

We picked up a 2017 Q3 (Prestige, S-Line, 19in wheels) about a month ago...it's smooth all the way to 100, and I imagine even past that.

Do you have another dealer you can bring it too? Usually if it's a front wheel/tire issue you will feel it in the steering wheel. Rear will be felt in the seat.

You can also call Audi of America and let them know the ride is unacceptable.

2017 Q3, 2013 S4, 2006 F-150, 2004 Basset Hound
post #3 of 35 Old 12-28-2016, 10:47 PM

Garage
I bought my 2017 Audi Q3 Prestige S-Line with 19" wheels late August. I have only run it up to 80mph+ so far and it has had no vibration issues. It actually runs smooth and if I am not looking at the speedometer I can't determine if I am going 55 or 80mph. I agree with the suggestion above to try another service/dealer. If you're stuck with the same service/dealer, have the service person ride with you in a Q3 loaner to show the ride difference and disprove his claim that the vibration you are experiencing in your Q3 is normal.

Last edited by rgobantesdc; 12-28-2016 at 10:52 PM.

post #4 of 35 Old 12-28-2016, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I agree with trying a different dealer.
post #5 of 35 Old 12-29-2016, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWolf View Post
We picked up a 2017 Q3 (Prestige, S-Line, 19in wheels) about a month ago...it's smooth all the way to 100, and I imagine even past that.

Do you have another dealer you can bring it too? Usually if it's a front wheel/tire issue you will feel it in the steering wheel. Rear will be felt in the seat.

You can also call Audi of America and let them know the ride is unacceptable.
I purchased the vehicle in Memphis. I just called Audi in Nashville (closest one to me, ~3 hours) and they have me on the schedule for someone to do a test drive with me tomorrow afternoon.

The problem is that the vibration does not happen all the time. Sometimes it feels pretty smooth, at other times my whole body is shaking. So based on that alone, I am not sure if it is the wheels/tires. I am truly a layperson when it comes to vehicles though.

Thank you for your reply! It helps knowing that we have the same model and your ride is smooth.

Have you ever called Audi of America? If so, what was your experience with them like? That will be my next step if I don't get any resolution in Nashville.
post #6 of 35 Old 12-29-2016, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgobantesdc View Post
I bought my 2017 Audi Q3 Prestige S-Line with 19" wheels late August. I have only run it up to 80mph+ so far and it has had no vibration issues. It actually runs smooth and if I am not looking at the speedometer I can't determine if I am going 55 or 80mph. I agree with the suggestion above to try another service/dealer. If you're stuck with the same service/dealer, have the service person ride with you in a Q3 loaner to show the ride difference and disprove his claim that the vibration you are experiencing in your Q3 is normal.
Thanks for the reply!

During my 2nd visit to the shop, I actually did test drive another Q3 with the shop foreman. As soon as we pulled out of the lot, he said, "This vehicle is actually a rougher ride than yours! I'm watching the cuff of my sleeve vibrating right now!" and laughed. It was definitely not worse than mine and I did not feel the same vibration as I do in my Q3. I think he was trying some reverse psychology?

I just don't believe Audi would sell a product that people pay upwards over $40k that isn't a comfortable ride. I think the shop foreman in Memphis is stuck and doesn't know what the problem is so he is acting like everything is normal.

I have service scheduled tomorrow in Nashville. Hopefully I get some answers.
post #7 of 35 Old 12-29-2016, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
I agree with trying a different dealer.
Thanks for the reply! I have service scheduled in Nashville tomorrow afternoon.
post #8 of 35 Old 12-29-2016, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Running 19" wheels alone wouldn't cause a vibration within a range of speed. It'll either give you a vibration thoughout, or no vibration. Vibrations come in at the high speeds can be tied to improper balancing however ?

Bryan
Livin' the dream, Don't wake me up just yet
post #9 of 35 Old 12-29-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassic View Post
Running 19" wheels alone wouldn't cause a vibration within a range of speed. It'll either give you a vibration thoughout, or no vibration. Vibrations come in at the high speeds can be tied to improper balancing however ?
My vehicle is as smooth as a dream if I'm under 20mph. The vibration can be felt during acceleration, but also let's say I'm on the interstate doing about 75 and let my foot off the gas.

During my first service visit they balanced and rotated my tires. They said only one of the wheels was just very slightly out of balance but that they corrected it. Vibration seemed to be worse after that, to where I could feel it in the steering wheel and gas pedal. I'm wondering if they moved the "culprit" to the driver's side front?

How common is a warped wheel straight from the manufacturer? This was also a possibility I mentioned to the service technician but he dismissed it without checking.
post #10 of 35 Old 12-30-2016, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendel_t_wolf View Post
How common is a warped wheel straight from the manufacturer? This was also a possibility I mentioned to the service technician but he dismissed it without checking.
Anything goes. Who knows what happened during delivery. Stay on it. Do not let them off the hook. Mine rides real nice. So did the dealer demo. I liked the ride so much we bought a Q3 based on that. Maybe they should put new wheels/tires on yours for the next bit of trouble shooting. Is the vibration constant. Can it be in the transmission or differential? Just thinking out loud.

Last edited by Monsoon; 12-30-2016 at 08:27 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page