Rear end design of the Audi Q3 - Audi Q3 Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 22 Old 02-28-2014, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Rear end design of the Audi Q3

I was looking at this picture and was thinking that the back tail lights don't look quite right to me. I think it would be better if they expanded onto the side of the car instead of being contained to the hatch. Just my 2 cents.
post #2 of 22 Old 02-28-2014, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post

I was looking at this picture and was thinking that the back tail lights don't look quite right to me. I think it would be better if they expanded onto the side of the car instead of being contained to the hatch. Just my 2 cents.
I hear what you're saying but the problem with that is now the tail lamp would need to be a 2 piece affair instead of the single piece. Its not much but it adds a production cost, multiplied by the however many thousands will be sold globally and it adds up to quite the expense...
post #3 of 22 Old 02-28-2014, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
I like how the rear end looks, no complains aside from the exhaust tips, it might have been better with a squared exhaust tip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 03-03-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Yea I could see how square exhaust pipes would look better. I stand by my original criticism of the tail lights though. I understand why they did it now when you mention cost, but there must be other design options that would have looked better. I think the current taillights don't look very well integrated into the rest of the design. Maybe without the decals it would look slightly better.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-03-2014, 04:25 PM

yea I hear you Otto, it does look a tad unfinished.

But I think its just because the Clamshell is a relatively unique tail gate design. Although the new MKC also uses a clamshell rear hatch and integrates the lamps in much better...

I think the difference visually is that the Audi pushes its lamps all the way to the edge using the hatch break as its border where as the MKC leave sheet metal between the break and the lamp giving the apperance that its supposed to be that way.

I hope that makes more sense than the rambling pseudo design analysis it looks like, LOL
post #6 of 22 Old 03-04-2014, 04:08 PM

You have a good point. The MKC without the bar in the middle would look better to me, even very audi-like.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-05-2014, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it looks fine to me

not sure what everyone is seeing
post #8 of 22 Old 03-05-2014, 03:58 PM

it's just our opinions, not everyone will think about it the same way, some might like it others will dislike it
post #9 of 22 Old 03-06-2014, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatto View Post
You have a good point. The MKC without the bar in the middle would look better to me, even very audi-like.
No, I think the light bar is one of the best design features that Lincoln and the MKC have going for it.

I do agree with what was said about making the taillights not go right to the edge of the hatch. Maybe that would fix what I saw as being weird with the taillights. There just seems to be something missing from them from my perspective. Perhaps more use of the light tube stuff that they have in the headlights could also help.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-06-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
No, I think the light bar is one of the best design features that Lincoln and the MKC have going for it.

I do agree with what was said about making the taillights not go right to the edge of the hatch. Maybe that would fix what I saw as being weird with the taillights. There just seems to be something missing from them from my perspective. Perhaps more use of the light tube stuff that they have in the headlights could also help.
absolutely. Yea its the line break that really does in the look, there is not a smooth visual transition to the tail lights. Your sightline is interupted by thr clamshell break and is never allowed to recover before having the tail lights shoved down your throat.

Its a minor point of contention, by no means a deal breaker, but in all fairness the germans have never been known for their use of form...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page