• 2 Post By PJH

post #1 of 10 Old 02-20-2015, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Garage
Exclamation Inexpensive MMI cable for iPhone 6 charging/3.5mm audio

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121550393458?...84.m1439.l2649

I bought this for US$18.00 delivered. It charges a new iPhone 6 and the 3.5mm audio function works. It does not give full iPhone usability though. With Bluetooth for the iPhone audio I am happy. A lot of aftermarket iPhone charge cables do not work but this one does not even generate a warning message. I tested the audio by plugging it into the iPhone headphone jack.

I wish it were a touch longer but it reaches out enough to keep the phone in the tailward cup holder.

This is not a guarantee it will work for you though, products from China being what they are.

2015 Q3 Quattro Cortina White/Black, Technik, Sport, mudflaps, Weathertech, Carista, 2.0 TFSI Canada
post #2 of 10 Old 02-20-2015, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Garage
Great idea - think I'll get one. Thanks for the contribution -

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #3 of 10 Old 02-21-2015, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I bought the adapter cable from apple 3 months ago. It is about 6" long so you can drop the phone into the cup holder. Works fine. Around 29.00 I think.

Steve

2015 Audi Q3 2.0T Quattro Tiptronic - Florett Silver / Black
2001 Audi A6 Avant 2.8 Quattro - Ming Blue / Black
1983 Porsche 928 S 5sp - Black / Pearl White

post #4 of 10 Old 02-22-2015, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballplanet View Post
I bought the adapter cable from apple 3 months ago. It is about 6" long so you can drop the phone into the cup holder. Works fine. Around 29.00 I think.
Apple USA wants $39 today free shipping.

2015 Q3 Quattro Cortina White/Black, Technik, Sport, mudflaps, Weathertech, Carista, 2.0 TFSI Canada
post #5 of 10 Old 02-22-2015, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Price must have gone up. Anyway, it does work (it better for $ 39).

Steve

2015 Audi Q3 2.0T Quattro Tiptronic - Florett Silver / Black
2001 Audi A6 Avant 2.8 Quattro - Ming Blue / Black
1983 Porsche 928 S 5sp - Black / Pearl White
post #6 of 10 Old 02-24-2015, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Anyone have any problem playing the music on their Iphone 6's thru the bluetooth? Sometimes it playes, sometimes I have to manually help it along by going into my music on the phone and starting it there. It shows up on the screen with a blank song title and 00:00 on the song length. Weird. Then they'll be other times it'll ask me if I want to search for a bluetooth player, I'll select it and it plays!

Did any of you guys get an MMI cord from the dealer with your car? I thought they came standard with the prestige package in the US? I could be wrong. It's a very short cord though I have to say.

Anne
post #7 of 10 Old 02-24-2015, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMILL View Post
Anyone have any problem playing the music on their Iphone 6's thru the bluetooth? Sometimes it playes, sometimes I have to manually help it along by going into my music on the phone and starting it there. It shows up on the screen with a blank song title and 00:00 on the song length. Weird. Then they'll be other times it'll ask me if I want to search for a bluetooth player, I'll select it and it plays!

Did any of you guys get an MMI cord from the dealer with your car? I thought they came standard with the prestige package in the US? I could be wrong. It's a very short cord though I have to say.

Anne
I've had the issue with my iPhone as well, but thought it was just the car trying to find the right priority between my phone and my wife's. Also the MMI cable (to the old iOS connector) IS included with Prestige cars. But I think the cable talked about above is for a lightning connector and audio not the last gen multi...

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #8 of 10 Old 02-24-2015, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
The cable was also included on my order form for a premium plus model "at no charge."

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-24-2015, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Canadians get the 30 pin MMI cable. I assume that is because you can buy the converter to the Lightning but not from Lightning to 30 pin.

post #10 of 10 Old 02-25-2015, 09:05 AM
PJH

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
If you are hoping to use the MMI cable for music directly from a Lightning port on an iPhone be sure to buy an Apple Lightning to 30-pin adaptor.
The 30-pin MMI connector uses the analog output of a 30-pin iPod/iPhone to play music.
Since the Lightning port does not have an analog output the Apple adaptor contains a digital to analog converter that sends the converted analog music to the correct pins on the 30-pin connector.
A non-Apple adaptor may not have this built in function. The Apple adaptor also allows the iPhone to charge when connected. $39 is not much to pay considering all of the electronics built into the Apple adaptor.
Just be aware that's all.
ktraveler and DEQ3.NEWB like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page