Baby car seats, strollers, etc... - Audi Q3 Forum
User Tag List

8Likes

post #1 of 20 Old 02-23-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thumbs up Baby car seats, strollers, etc...

Hello guys!

I guess this is my introduction for myself and at the same time I would like to start a topic of discussion on baby car seats and strollers. My wife and I just got a 2015 Q3 back In Januray 2015, we also have a 2010 A5. We are expecting out first child (He's a Boy) to be here with us around the end of March of this year.

Before we got the Q3, I actually took a small stroller to the dealership and put it inside the trunk to see if it would actually fit. I placed it parallel to the side doors, my intention is to maximize the use of the trunk since we travel often and we would still like to have some space for luggage.

Alright, so here's the dilemma we have now... That stroller I tried is not the stroller we would be using for the baby, I just wanted to try the trunk space as a preliminary precaution before buying the Q3. We are now looking at strollers and baby car seats and I am finding out that there's not so many car seats that would fit without having the passenger seat all the way forward (some what uncomfortable for the passenger).

So, I looked in the forum and I couldn't find any topics on this matter, (which strollers fit vertically in the trunk and what car seats take up the least space in the back seats) or maybe I didn't look in the right places.

We narrowed it down to 2 strollers that would fit vertically in the back and 2 car seats that won't make the passenger seat move all the way forward. It's between the Orbit stroller and car seat system, and the Bugaboo stroller & Nuna Baby car seat. I actually went to a couple of stores and tried these on the Q3.

Another option would be to get a roof rack, but I wouldn't like to go that route (just yet)

With that being said, what do you guys have to share on this?

Thanks!

Here's a pic of the Orbit with the stroller seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5667.jpg (110.5 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by ehechter; 02-23-2015 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Picture orientation
post #2 of 20 Old 02-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Garage
Well, first - Welcome to the forum - glad to see you here and hope that you'll find what you need both in terms of support for your new car - please add garage when you can - and your contributions for us too.

Second, my wife and I have no kids so I have no direct info to share, but wish I even had some indirect info, or directions to point you. I am hopeful though that somebody here has some and will...
ehechter likes this.

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #3 of 20 Old 02-23-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnlabas View Post
Well, first - Welcome to the forum - glad to see you here and hope that you'll find what you need both in terms of support for your new car - please add garage when you can - and your contributions for us too.

Second, my wife and I have no kids so I have no direct info to share, but wish I even had some indirect info, or directions to point you. I am hopeful though that somebody here has some and will...
Thanks!
BTW, I've been following all your mods on your Q3, looks sweet!
Love the front grille, the amber signals, and the fold down MMI screen!
rnlabas likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 02-23-2015, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Congratulations on both the baby and the car!!! My wife and I do not have any children so I would have to defer to others concerning your questions...

That being said I just wanted to say hello and welcome!!!
ehechter likes this.

2015 Q3, Florett Silver Metallic, Quattro with lots-o-bells & whistles
2013 A5 Cabriolet, Cuvee Silver, Quattro with lots-o-bells & whistles
post #5 of 20 Old 02-23-2015, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to nickjs1984
One step further: no wife, no kids so the closest I could give you to feedback would be stuffing my nephew's car seat into the Q3! I'm sure he'd be game, though, as he loves being picked up to press the power tailgate button (he's one and a half but it's also pretty entertaining game for me, if I'm honest).

You've probably already seen this from cars.com: Car Seat Check

Anyway, like above, just wanted to say "hello" and welcome to the forum!
ehechter likes this.

--
Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Florett Silver/Chestnut Brown
Previous: 2012 Volvo S60 T5, Vibrant Copper/Beechwood
2009 Audi A3 2.0T, Ibis White/Luxor Beige
post #6 of 20 Old 02-23-2015, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
A Combo savi umbrella stroller will last you through your child rearing years for this child and at least the next two if you keep going. They are pricey but they are light, compact, and hold up for a long time. Probably will fit through the pass through easily though will probably fit easily in the trunk when folded.

Steve

2015 Audi Q3 2.0T Quattro Tiptronic - Florett Silver / Black
2001 Audi A6 Avant 2.8 Quattro - Ming Blue / Black
1983 Porsche 928 S 5sp - Black / Pearl White
post #7 of 20 Old 02-23-2015, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Well, here's my 2 cents.

We bought a car seat for the granddaughter and in order for it to fit facing backwards, I need to have either the passenger or drivers seat really moved forward.

and that reallys sucks, so for that reason I'm out.

Lets just say and not because I'm looking to trade my in, but the Q3 is def not family friendly.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-24-2015, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBQ3 View Post
Well, here's my 2 cents.

We bought a car seat for the granddaughter and in order for it to fit facing backwards, I need to have either the passenger or drivers seat really moved forward.

and that reallys sucks, so for that reason I'm out.

Lets just say and not because I'm looking to trade my in, but the Q3 is def not family friendly.
I agree, i think I've done enough research and testing myself to find the best baby car seat that would occupy minimal space behind the passenger seat. I was just curious to see if anyone else had found something better than what I've been able to find out.

On a more positive note, the baby car seat will only be used for about 1 year on average, it depends on your child's growth. Convertible seats (or front facing seats) fit even better!

Well, in case anyone is interested; the best baby car seats that take the least amount of space and increase the distance between the passenger side knee caps and glove compartment or dash are the Orbit G2 and G3 seats and the Nuna Pipa. Not to mention that the Nuna Pipa was designed for autobahn speeds in Europe and comes with a floor support bar, it also looks very cool. Not that I'm going to be racing with my baby (or without), I just think it's a nice feature.

Thanks guys!
rnlabas and nickjs1984 like this.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-24-2015, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehechter View Post
I agree, i think I've done enough research and testing myself to find the best baby car seat that would occupy minimal space behind the passenger seat. I was just curious to see if anyone else had found something better than what I've been able to find out.

On a more positive note, the baby car seat will only be used for about 1 year on average, it depends on your child's growth. Convertible seats (or front facing seats) fit even better!

Well, in case anyone is interested; the best baby car seats that take the least amount of space and increase the distance between the passenger side knee caps and glove compartment or dash are the Orbit G2 and G3 seats and the Nuna Pipa. Not to mention that the Nuna Pipa was designed for autobahn speeds in Europe and comes with a floor support bar, it also looks very cool. Not that I'm going to be racing with my baby (or without), I just think it's a nice feature.

Thanks guys!
Thank YOU !!!
Ohio Joe likes this.

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #10 of 20 Old 02-25-2015, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Don't recall the model number of our car seat, but we HAD to buy the one that my son and daughter-in-law selected. You see because they're the experts with this being their first baby. The fact that my wife and I raised 3 kids doesn't mean a thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehechter View Post

Thanks guys!
deverelle likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page