Acceleration - Delays, Shudder, Etc - Audi Q3 Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

post #1 of 27 Old 04-12-2015, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Acceleration - Delays, Shudder, Etc

Recently bought an Audi Q3 and I'm starting to hate it. The Audi has enough power but the transmission doesn't feel smooth at all. In "D" mode, it tends to stay in higher gear (5/6 gear) but at low speed (40 MPH) causing shudder, vibration, droning, and lack of acceleration. If I give it more gas, there's a delay and it jerks into a lower gear. If I use manual mode and put it into 6 gear at 50 MPH, it doesn't accelerate at all. In fact, the RPM decrease while giving it gas followed by vibration, shudder, etc. I'm forced to use "S" mode all the time now to bypass the before mentioned problems.

Does anyone have the same problem(s)? Is there a fix?
post #2 of 27 Old 04-12-2015, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Garage
First, welcome to the forum - we are hopeful that you'll find answers and can contribute to your ownership experience here - we're a pretty knowledgeable group and willing to help. Second, sorry you're having an issue causing some frustrations - there are a few other notes on driveability, but not exactly like yours.

In my own car I notice the flat-spot even in 4th-6th, but also that the "kick-down" is a bit stiff, at least compared with my TT. But on push thru, the car shifts fine - although since it's a regular automatic (torque converter), it's not as crisp as the DSG (dual clutch) in my TT.

I'll aslo be trying a throttle aid called SprintBooster (see here SprintBooster Throttle Aid ) that should help throttle tip-in - as I have one on my S5 and like it a lot. It should arrive this week, and is an easy PlugNPlay.

Meanwhile take your in for a service check and have them scan for faults - perhaps something is really amiss - it doesn't sound normal and you should have the chance to get your car right. I'll check for any TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) that may be related and report back later this week...

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #3 of 27 Old 04-12-2015, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Man, I must drive like a grandma.

post #4 of 27 Old 04-13-2015, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnlabas View Post

although since it's a regular automatic (torque converter), it's not as crisp as the DSG (dual clutch) in my TT.
That's interesting, I thought all Q3 had the S-Tronic 7 speed DSG box (apart from the 1.4TFsi with the 6 speed box), I looked for info on the cars available in the UK and the 2L TFsi is listed as 7 speed S-Tronic.........I always thought the TC trans was the Tiptronic?

177 SE S-Tronic, Pistachio Nappa, Tech Pack, Luggage, Load, 18" 5xTwins, Hot Seats, Bright Bendy Lights, Wobbly Mirrors, LazyBoy Rear Hatch, yadda yadda yadda.....I'll think of more later, Oh yes, and now soft sticky tyres for winter.
post #5 of 27 Old 04-13-2015, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Garage
All Canadians and Americans get the Tiptronic six speed.
post #6 of 27 Old 04-13-2015, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnlabas View Post
First, welcome to the forum - we are hopeful that you'll find answers and can contribute to your ownership experience here - we're a pretty knowledgeable group and willing to help. Second, sorry you're having an issue causing some frustrations - there are a few other notes on driveability, but not exactly like yours.

In my own car I notice the flat-spot even in 4th-6th, but also that the "kick-down" is a bit stiff, at least compared with my TT. But on push thru, the car shifts fine - although since it's a regular automatic (torque converter), it's not as crisp as the DSG (dual clutch) in my TT.

I'll aslo be trying a throttle aid called SprintBooster (see here SprintBooster Throttle Aid ) that should help throttle tip-in - as I have one on my S5 and like it a lot. It should arrive this week, and is an easy PlugNPlay.

Meanwhile take your in for a service check and have them scan for faults - perhaps something is really amiss - it doesn't sound normal and you should have the chance to get your car right. I'll check for any TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) that may be related and report back later this week...
I'm also getting seat vibration on decent to hard acceleration. None to very little vibration on "gramdma mode" acceleration. Do you have this problem too or is your engine smooth?
post #7 of 27 Old 04-13-2015, 03:34 PM

Garage
Is there a chance you got a bad tank of gas?? Was it a major retailer you filled from??
post #8 of 27 Old 04-13-2015, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblepp View Post
All Canadians and Americans get the Tiptronic six speed.
Interesting, I wonder why?

Thanks........

177 SE S-Tronic, Pistachio Nappa, Tech Pack, Luggage, Load, 18" 5xTwins, Hot Seats, Bright Bendy Lights, Wobbly Mirrors, LazyBoy Rear Hatch, yadda yadda yadda.....I'll think of more later, Oh yes, and now soft sticky tyres for winter.
post #9 of 27 Old 04-13-2015, 04:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbrownie View Post
Interesting, I wonder why?

Thanks........
Best guess is to lower the base price cost for our markets and to simplify orders. The older Tiptronic likely has a lower internal costs than the newer types. And they know we tender-bummed people are happy with its smooth shifting. I would hope a couple years of demand will let them see there is a market for the nicer transmission.
boxbrownie likes this.

2015 Q3 Quattro Cortina White/Black, Technik, Sport, mudflaps, Weathertech, Carista, 2.0 TFSI Canada
post #10 of 27 Old 04-13-2015, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblepp View Post
Is there a chance you got a bad tank of gas?? Was it a major retailer you filled from??
I'm still on the tank of gas the car came with....lol. Maybe the dealer is super cheap and used some low grade gas when they sold me the car? Don't know. I still have a 1/4 of tank. I'm going to wait until it gets really close to empty and fill her up with 93 oct gas from Chevron.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page