Just had a little accident, need your advice! - Audi Q3 Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 12-05-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Just had a little accident, need your advice!

I was traveling on the right lane on a three lane road. Right lane was ending so I turn on my signal and saw that there was a car on my left but I knew he saw me and was able to make a close but safe lane change.

But he decided to gas up and push right next to me, which got me worked up... I'm such an idiot for getting lured into it... I stepped on my gas and I tried to enter and his passenger side tire contacted my driver rear side side skirt and rear fender right above the rear wheel.

Nothing is bent, dented or loose. The paint on skirt and lower portion of the door is burned from rubber and fender is very lightly scratched.

So this other driver gets out of the car and starts getting very aggressive in no time. I asked him to exchange information and be on our way, he says things like "I want you to pay for the damage you've done to the car" (his car had same extent of very light damage; same rubber burn on paint and very minor scratched). And he also claimed that curb rashes on his rims are from the incident (at which I laughed pretty hard)

So it this case, I understand I'm mostly, if not all, at fault. I can take that and call up my insurance on Monday. However, what I'm wondering is, what if that guy claims other damages that I'm not responsible to the insurance company (i.e. curb rashes).

Also, is it worth mentioning to the insurance company that he actually sped up when he saw me trying to enter his lane? How do I prove it? I don't mind being 100% at fault for my sake but I don't want him to get away with no fault claim.

Thanks for the help guys.

p.s. I'm glad this is just a rear side skirt repaint and bottom of door repaint and rear plastic fender replacement. Nothing being is broken and my rims are fine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tanqueray; 12-05-2015 at 08:51 PM.
post #2 of 34 Old 12-05-2015, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Hey Glad you're ok. Never admit anything(fault). Do not apologize. Let your insurance company work it out. You can say he hit you. Say what you have to...you entered the lane safely and he changed lanes and sped up ...whatever. Don't admit a thing. Do so and you're at fault.

Last edited by Monsoon; 12-05-2015 at 09:50 PM.
post #3 of 34 Old 12-05-2015, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
Hey Glad you're ok. Never admit anything(fault). Do not apologize. Let your insurance company work it out. You can say he hit you. Say what you have to...you entered the lane safely and he changed lanes and sped up ...whatever. Don't admit a thing. Do so and you're at fault.
Thank you for that advice. I will tell the insurance company the facts. I was doing a lane change and he sped up to block me (which can be partially proved by the fact my rear is damaged beyond the rear door)

My wife also in the car and she was amazed by that guy's behavior before and after the accident.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 34 Old 12-06-2015, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
First off its good no one was injuired. The other guy sounds like a jerk... Did you get a police report? Normally I would say that the report may add to your grief but from what you said I would be concerned thay guy may start talking about hit & run... I would agree with above about contacting insurance an see what they say. Good luck!

2015 Q3, Florett Silver Metallic, Quattro with lots-o-bells & whistles
2013 A5 Cabriolet, Cuvee Silver, Quattro with lots-o-bells & whistles
post #5 of 34 Old 12-06-2015, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Joe View Post
First off its good no one was injuired. The other guy sounds like a jerk... Did you get a police report? Normally I would say that the report may add to your grief but from what you said I would be concerned thay guy may start talking about hit & run... I would agree with above about contacting insurance an see what they say. Good luck!
Police was called and I have the officer's name, station and call number. Even the police officer was shaking his head at him when he wanted to "press charges"...

He must have called his insurance company right after the incident because I got an email from my insurance company about the claim.

I will contact my insurance company and explain every little detail about the incident and what kind of a jerk/goof he was being and also provide the officer's contact number to them.

post #6 of 34 Old 12-06-2015, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanqueray View Post
I will contact my insurance company and explain every little detail about the incident and what kind of a jerk/goof he was being and also provide the officer's contact number to them.
The other party's insurance company might contact you...ask what happened...are you ok, etc. Do not answer them. In a civil, kind, firm manner tell them to get any details from your insurance company. Do not answer them.

I pm'd other info to you...
post #7 of 34 Old 12-06-2015, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
The other party's insurance company might contact you...ask what happened...are you ok, etc. Do not answer them. In a civil, kind, firm manner tell them to get any details from your insurance company. Do not answer them.
I will do that.

Thanks!

post #8 of 34 Old 12-07-2015, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Garage
I concur - don't admit to fault nor even hint at your culpability.

You are at much to have a right to your piece of the road as the counterparty.
It's share the road - true?

Most importantly, the police didn't fault anyone I assume.

I can speak from experience as this exact incident happen to me except I was the guy in the left lane & the counterparty tried to force his way into my lane AFTER he had run up to another car's tail in the right lane.

We traded some wheel touches & the police assigned no fault to either party.

Current Stable:
2015.VW GTI.4S in Midnight Blue+LP+MM
2016.Audi Q3 Prestige Quattro in Mythos Black+Chestnut+Aluminum+Sport Pack
post #9 of 34 Old 12-07-2015, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the replies. I spoke to the insurance company and I didn't admit anything except explain the situation and the guy's "jerkish" manners. My claim rep said we need to prove that he sped up and did nothing to avoid the accident. He said he will update me soon. I also mentioned that the other driver spoke of trying to get me to fix something that I didn't damage (his wheel, which is clearly from curb rash) and the rep said if he claims those things, they will get team to measure and prove that was not caused by the particular accident.

After a deductible of $500, my car will be fixed on Wednesday at Mercedes collision center (Audi wasn't on a select program list of collision service providers in the area).

I really doubt the damage for each of our car will be over $2000. I don't even know why I'm going through the insurance for such small incident (If I think about it, I guess getting the insurance to deal with a hot head like the other driver will save me from the stress)...

I just hope my premium doesn't sky rocket from such a small incident... (being my first accident on record, nor tickets)

Thanks guys

Last edited by Tanqueray; 12-07-2015 at 02:16 PM.
post #10 of 34 Old 12-07-2015, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q3User View Post
Most importantly, the police didn't fault anyone I assume.
You are correct, the officer basically said, all he can do is provide a piece of paper to exchange driver information.

That's when the other driver asked "Can I press charges"... At that point, I started laughing pretty hard, which got him worked-up even more
Q3User likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page