Audi Q3 Forum banner

my ordered audi 2016 Q3 just landed in san diego

10K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Stomar 
#1 · (Edited)
hey guys, I am super excited to find out that the 2016 Q3 I ordered just landed today at the port in san diego ca.

it took a while from the date of ordering to this point.

its a:
Quattro
Hainan blue
fully loaded
prestige

I wonder when it will hit the dealership.

#3 ·
... I wonder when it will hit the dealership.
Could be as few as 2-3 days. As I mentioned to you, you could have your ABS expedite the release to trucking in less than a day, then it's just up to the driver and his route ...

#4 ·
well the ship just left port and the system says nothing. he stated that nothing has been updated.

Roger, the ship you mentioned has not docked yet. I'm thinking you might be right on that ship and not the one he mentioned to me.
when I asked him about delivery trucking, he had no idea what I was talking about.

here is his communication to me:
*I asked and this is his first reply.*

"I'm not sure either, where did you hear that? audi wont allow us to sell cars until its been through the post delivery inspection with out technicians, the cars must be scanned through audi's service scan tool. there are also dmv rules in regarding the contacts and the temporary registration stickers."

*his second reply to my next comment on the delivery.*

" since its pretty much a straight shot from the port to us that's how it does work. they will load the trucks up with vehicles destine to our dealership and they usually come straight to us. the truck drivers get paid for every car they deliver, they want to make as many runs from the port to dealerships they can, they don't want to be driving around socal dropping off a car here and a car off there. sometimes they will make stops first or not every car on the truck is ours, but that's only if the cars are destine for (the other local dealerships) that are pretty much in a straight line."

so this is what I got from him.

#5 · (Edited)
MY Audi info is what I sent you - (I have NOT checked it lately though). It's rare (don't know of a single case) for a car to change vessels once it's on one, but before it is, it's NOT unusual to - Your ABS has access to the VERY SAME data - I have NO idea why he cannot figure it out and tell you what I have. I'm not saying I'm right, only that that is what Audi has for your car - your ABS may be using other stuff, but not Audi stuff - I don't know what else to say about that.

As for the trucking info, I think we're saying basically the same thing - EXCEPT, I advised you to ask your ABS to expedite the port's "Release to Trucking." Once THAT is done, it IS up to the trucker(driver) and his intended route to get your car(s) to the dealers. NO, they don't zig-zag all over the place trying to prioritize one car vs another, but get there when/how makes the best sense for them. You can't change that. I was only asking to request a prioritization of your car's release from the port to your trucker - if not, it could take several days to even a week or longer for it to swim thru the system - doesn't have to, but it could. And the letter of expedition can shorten this (at some ports) to a few hours -

As for the other stuff, yup he's also pretty much right, although he can't spell (or write very well either) - I'm no expert on each state's requirements (although they don't vary THAT much), but I do know Audi's pretty well. The car does go thru a PDI (PRE-Delivery Inspection) that includes all kinds of stuff from taking off the protective wrapper (condom), prepping the car for use, checking nuts and bolts, fluids, etc. to scanning (and reporting) full systems and CAN-Bus DTCs if any - and fixing them. Also there's a bit of cleaning up the car so you like it when you pick it up. The PDI usually takes a tech about 2-3 hours to do - but could be both a bit shorter or longer. Your ABS has prolly little control over this, but the clean-up and F&I, he can work a bit off (if he wants to) - so by the time the trucker drops off your car, it could be in your hands between a half to 2 days - I don't recall advising you (or anyone) to try and get a car delivered without a PDI or ANY state requirements for inspections, taxes or "stickers."...

Hope that helps a bit more ...

#6 ·
.....and if your car is in the queue to get Homelink or any other port installed bits.....it could add a little more time to the equation.
Relax, just sit back and enjoy your beautiful new Q3 when it arrives....:)

#9 ·
thanks guys. I assume the queen ace ship is docking by tomorrow. so next week seems like a fair date.
the homelink is added to the order so it should take an extra day for that.

I have ordered my 2015 S3 this year and got it a few months back.

I have owned a few other makes and models in the past.

#13 ·
so I picked it up last night. I am happy that the weather was pretty nice. I would have preferred the super hot weather we had last month while doing this because I was outside most of the time and it was getting just a tad chilly.

#17 ·
hi otto,
the car is as expected. the car is actually for my girl friend/ fiancé, so when we first saw it, she was kinda liking it but she had hoped it was more like my S3 2015 sepang blue. when we ordered the car she was like, game on. >:D lets try out this new color. we had tried many cars before deciding and even then this was test driven and I had learned everything that is possible to know. all the negatives and positives. for us the negative was the hp, how much less we get for the money, and the interior is dated even with the exterior refresh. the positive is that we love the size, the look, the exclusivity, and the brand. no one in the area has a Q3 let alone the color. so we went in buying this knowing as much as a person can without owning the car.

as we now have had it for a couple of days, I have to say she loves the color more. the paint is very interesting. the color changes a little depending on the source of light that is casting on it. it will have different hues of blue when the sun reflects on it or lighting from the street lamps. on moment its like my sepang the next it looks a little turquois blue. in the pics I post I have not done anything to the pics other than have it in different lighting backgrounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.