User Tag List

1Likes

post #1 of 11 Old 02-12-2015, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Rear doors - Keyless entry (not)

Good day all,
Confirmed last night that the rear doors on the Q3 do not have the self locking/unlocking door sensors, or should I say self locking/unlocking doors. I was initially thinking that maybe they were keyless entry but childproofed or something like that... (Dealer confirmed that for access to the rear seat the doors must be unlocked using the either remote or the switch up front) At first look the rear door handles appear to have the sensors but I think that was done to minimize the parts and don’t imagine it goes any further than the handles. Seems a bit of a shortcut when you have keyless entry but not thru all of the doors... I know the rear hatch works with the keyless entry but unfortunately my wife tends to put more stuff on the rear seat than in the back. Does anyone know if it would be possible to mod the rear doors for keyless entry? My guess would be that it would get way too involved and complicated and probably void the warranty but I thought that it’s worth a question....

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!!

2015 Q3, Florett Silver Metallic, Quattro with lots-o-bells & whistles
2013 A5 Cabriolet, Cuvee Silver, Quattro with lots-o-bells & whistles
post #2 of 11 Old 02-12-2015, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
On the car option you can set it up so it unlocks all the doors, I only hace to Touch the front handle (no need to open the door) and all 4 door get unlocked.

Juan
2015 Q3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO PRESTIGE, SPORT PACKAGE, 19" OFFROAD WHEELS, MONSOON GREY METALLIC/BLACK INTERIOR.
2012 VOLKSWAGEN TIGUAN 2.0TSI SE, PREMIUM AUDIO, CANDY WHITE/BEIGE INTERIOR.
2008 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA 2.5 SE, PREMIUM AUDIO, MOONROOF, STANDARD TRANSMISSION, GRAPHITE BLUE/BLACK INTERIOR.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-12-2015, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by felipefaccini View Post
On the car option you can set it up so it unlocks all the doors, I only hace to Touch the front handle (no need to open the door) and all 4 door get unlocked.
As delivered the touch sensor is configured for opening drivers door only. This makes sense when you consider your wife opening the door in a dark parking lot, you don't want the bad guys on the ground on the far side gaining entry. You change that in the MMi.
Also, on locking with the sensor, all open windows and the roof are closed if you hold the sensor for a few seconds. At least in Canada mine does. This came standard from Audi.

2015 Q3 Quattro Cortina White/Black, Technik, Sport, mudflaps, Weathertech, Carista, 2.0 TFSI Canada

post #4 of 11 Old 02-12-2015, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
For us models you need to program it vía VCDS to close the Windows and sunroof using the remote or the door sensor.

Juan
2015 Q3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO PRESTIGE, SPORT PACKAGE, 19" OFFROAD WHEELS, MONSOON GREY METALLIC/BLACK INTERIOR.
2012 VOLKSWAGEN TIGUAN 2.0TSI SE, PREMIUM AUDIO, CANDY WHITE/BEIGE INTERIOR.
2008 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA 2.5 SE, PREMIUM AUDIO, MOONROOF, STANDARD TRANSMISSION, GRAPHITE BLUE/BLACK INTERIOR.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-12-2015, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by felipefaccini View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblepp View Post
As delivered the touch sensor is configured for opening drivers door only. This makes sense when you consider your wife opening the door in a dark parking lot, you don't want the bad guys on the ground on the far side gaining entry. You change that in the MMi.
Also, on locking with the sensor, all open windows and the roof are closed if you hold the sensor for a few seconds. At least in Canada mine does. This came standard from Audi.
Thanks for the thoughts....
The Q3 is my wifes car and safety is definately high on the priority list so I/we are not real keen on unlocking all of the doors at the same time... I was hoping to find a solution that would only unlock the door that you wanted to open without opening all of the doors at the same time...

Not a big deal and it is what it is but keyless entry to me means keeyless entry on any door not just three of the five...

post #6 of 11 Old 02-12-2015, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
On EU models you can choose through the menus to unlock just the drivers door or all doors from the remote, not sure if keyless has the same function (I have the car set to open all), but it is annoying the rear doors will not open using keyless unless triggered by the fronts first.

177 SE S-Tronic, Pistachio Nappa, Tech Pack, Luggage, Load, 18" 5xTwins, Hot Seats, Bright Bendy Lights, Wobbly Mirrors, LazyBoy Rear Hatch, yadda yadda yadda.....I'll think of more later, Oh yes, and now soft sticky tyres for winter.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-12-2015, 03:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Joe View Post
snip... I was hoping to find a solution that would only unlock the door that you wanted to open without opening all of the doors at the same time...
I have never heard of any car allowing you to select an individual door to open. Am I leading a sheltered life?
Any car I have tried usually lets one press of the remote mean open driver's door, and a second quick click opens the rest. The MMI setting reduces this to one click to open all and I am confused what else it could do for you?
Are you wanting the right rear to open by itself just by placing your hand on the handle with the keyless in your pocket? The rear door 'sensors' are fakes to save on parts count.

2015 Q3 Quattro Cortina White/Black, Technik, Sport, mudflaps, Weathertech, Carista, 2.0 TFSI Canada
post #8 of 11 Old 02-12-2015, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblepp View Post
I have never heard of any car allowing you to select an individual door to open. Am I leading a sheltered life?
Any car I have tried usually lets one press of the remote mean open driver's door, and a second quick click opens the rest. The MMI setting reduces this to one click to open all and I am confused what else it could do for you?
Are you wanting the right rear to open by itself just by placing your hand on the handle with the keyless in your pocket? The rear door 'sensors' are fakes to save on parts count.
The key here is keyless (pun intended) meaning not using/clicking the remote. For example when locked I can open the passenger front door only if I choose and only that door will be unlocked or the rear hatch with the same result. Yes I was wanting the rear doors to open the same as either front door or the hatch and yes I learned late evening that the sensors are "fake".
My hope was that maybe someone knows if the "fakes" can be made "real"...

post #9 of 11 Old 02-12-2015, 03:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
snip...
OK, now I am with you! And I do not know.

post #10 of 11 Old 02-12-2015, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The key here is keyless (pun intended) meaning not using/clicking the remote. For example when locked I can open the passenger front door only if I choose and only that door will be unlocked or the rear hatch with the same result. Yes I was wanting the rear doors to open the same as either front door or the hatch and yes I learned late evening that the sensors are "fake".
I checked ETKA and I don't see a way to integrate the sensors into the system to operate on the door active. The system just doesn't seem "wired" and programmed for that function. You might be able to wire them parallel with the fronts - looks like a daunting task though - but then you have them work just like the fronts anyway - just another 2 feet away. Hardly seems like worth the effort for just that functionality.
boxbrownie likes this.

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page