User Tag List

post #1 of 27 Old 04-12-2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to nickjs1984
Tailgate Won't Close from Key Fob

Hi, all. First issue with the Q3 which I've found to be a really great car so far these first three months. When I try to close the power tailgate using the button on the key fob, I get, at most, about an inch of downward travel before hearing a small beep and it stops. Pressing again causes no motion and a longer tone to play. It's almost acting like it's hitting something and auto-stopping or something. The button on the tailgate works just fine, though. I've never encountered anything quite like this before - any thoughts?

--
Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Florett Silver/Chestnut Brown
Previous: 2012 Volvo S60 T5, Vibrant Copper/Beechwood
2009 Audi A3 2.0T, Ibis White/Luxor Beige
post #2 of 27 Old 04-12-2015, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Garage
Are you holding the button down? You need to keep it held and the beeping will continue as the tailgate closes - sounding like a back-up beeping until fully closed...

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #3 of 27 Old 04-12-2015, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to nickjs1984
Hmm, will give that a shot and report back, Roger.

--
Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Florett Silver/Chestnut Brown
Previous: 2012 Volvo S60 T5, Vibrant Copper/Beechwood
2009 Audi A3 2.0T, Ibis White/Luxor Beige

post #4 of 27 Old 04-13-2015, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
It doesn't make any sense to me either, you can press the trunk lid button and it'll close slowly and you can walk away so cannot be a safety issue, but you have to press and hold the key fob button until the hatch is closed, and you have to be close to the vehicle as well.

I was hoping some enterprising bright spark might find a way through VCDS to change the fob protocol.

177 SE S-Tronic, Pistachio Nappa, Tech Pack, Luggage, Load, 18" 5xTwins, Hot Seats, Bright Bendy Lights, Wobbly Mirrors, LazyBoy Rear Hatch, yadda yadda yadda.....I'll think of more later, Oh yes, and now soft sticky tyres for winter.
post #5 of 27 Old 04-13-2015, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Notwithstanding that the tailgate control button on my driver's side door came lose and was subsequently reinstalled improperly by my dealer (it now only opens the tailgate and can't close it as the button can now only move in one direction), I never knew you could close it with the key fob. It certainly doesn't close when I hold it and I think I tried to do it even before the driver's side swith came loose.

I have a Candian progressive model with the power hatch option. Am I supposed to be able to close the hatch from the key fob?
post #6 of 27 Old 04-13-2015, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbrownie View Post
It doesn't make any sense to me either, you can press the trunk lid button and it'll close slowly and you can walk away so cannot be a safety issue, but you have to press and hold the key fob button until the hatch is closed, and you have to be close to the vehicle as well.

I was hoping some enterprising bright spark might find a way through VCDS to change the fob protocol.
I'm actually surprised that there aren't any companies out there in the business of changing these functions through reprogramming. Niche market but would be valuable for situations like this.
post #7 of 27 Old 04-13-2015, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorbiggun View Post
... I have a Candian progressive model with the power hatch option. Am I supposed to be able to close the hatch from the key fob?
Not sure, I did several comfort convenience fob remote mods in VCDS, will check and report back ...

- Roger

post #8 of 27 Old 04-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbrownie View Post

I think Audi's logic here is, if you are close enough to the lid to use the button, YOU are at least aware that you've closed it. Whereas YOU could be standing under the lid, and I could close it from the remote up to about 30 feet away, and YOU would NOT necessarily be aware until it bonked YOU on the noggin...hence the beeping. And IF something like that were to occur, at least the person holding the remote would have to KEEP holding the button to continue trying the close. I think there still is a load sensing switch that will STOP the closing if it encounters enough resistance - but an unaware bonk, could still be quite surprising to someone under the lid who did not initiate the action.

- Roger

post #9 of 27 Old 04-13-2015, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnlabas View Post
I think Audi's logic here is, if you are close enough to the lid to use the button, YOU are at least aware that you've closed it. Whereas YOU could be standing under the lid, and I could close it from the remote up to about 30 feet away, and YOU would NOT necessarily be aware until it bonked YOU on the noggin...hence the beeping. And IF something like that were to occur, at least the person holding the remote would have to KEEP holding the button to continue trying the close. I think there still is a load sensing switch that will STOP the closing if it encounters enough resistance - but an unaware bonk, could still be quite surprising to someone under the lid who did not initiate the action.

But the point is you can only "start" the closing procedure with the fob if you are in very close range of the hatch, no difference than pushing the hatch closure button, but the difference is if you press the button you can just walk away and it still closes, but with the button if you walk out of range it stops, or if you stop pressing the button......

Yes there is a closure obstruction safety stop, and its very sensitive too......my MB ML had a remote hatch closure and you could use either method to close it, it would close but just keep beeping as it did so.

As you say "Audi Logic"............is there any?

177 SE S-Tronic, Pistachio Nappa, Tech Pack, Luggage, Load, 18" 5xTwins, Hot Seats, Bright Bendy Lights, Wobbly Mirrors, LazyBoy Rear Hatch, yadda yadda yadda.....I'll think of more later, Oh yes, and now soft sticky tyres for winter.
post #10 of 27 Old 04-13-2015, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Well, I really like my non power hatch release.

I can release it from the driver's seat if need be, easily open from the rear and to close it's just a gentle push with a tiny touch of spirit. Almost as easy as the trunk of an Audi sedan.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page