Can I remove front license plate holder? - Audi Q3 Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

post #1 of 16 Old 12-12-2015, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can I remove front license plate holder?

Hello! I just received my new (new for me but it's a CPO) Audi Q3 2015 from Michigan where apparently the front license plate is needed. In Florida, we don't need it. I don't want to replace the whole grill because it costs a lot. I was looking at it and noticed 2 screws right in the middle of the the plate holder. Just wandering if that portion that holds the license plate only can be removed. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4120.jpg (144.5 KB, 35 views)
post #2 of 16 Old 12-12-2015, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
What your car has is the ”Front License Plate Frame (6W3)”. What you want it to have is the “Front Grille Panel (6W9)”. As you said these were options installed based on the appropriate state laws. I don’t think you can just remove the center license plate section, but I may be wrong. I’m sure there is an actual Audi part number. In the meantime just decorate it for Christmas until you get the part.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-13-2015, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Garage
You CAN replace that part (P/N: 8U0 807 287 A T94, the A is for without a front plate or "front plate delete" as the Germans say, and the T94 is for Gloss Black), it's just bolted and double side taped on - but beware - it is not cheap at $240 for what you prolly will think should be about $20 when you hold one in your hands. My guess is this is an equitable insurance part, that is a part often purchased by insurance through which the cost is 'equitably' priced (i.e. much higher than it deserves to be based on its actual manufacturing) in order to distribute costs across all other parts not so lucky to be reimbursed by insurances - sort of a socialized auto parts pricing practice...

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-13-2015, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I was sure Roger would know the actual part number of option 6W9. What I was trying to say is that I doubt you can replace only the small section that is the shape of a state license plate.
There are always the fun U-Pull-It parts yards or you could use the space to promote your favorite cause.
nickjs1984 likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-13-2015, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Did you purchase it from an Audi dealership? If so just ask your salesman to hook you up, that's what I did with mine, remember it never hurts to ask.
nickjs1984 and BobInPa like this.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-14-2015, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to nickjs1984
For my A3, I was actually living in Maryland with PA plates when I ordered and received it at a dealer in Delaware. Since both Delaware and PA don't have front plates and I wasn't sure if I'd bother getting Maryland plates, the dealer gave me a second grille insert, just in case I wanted to swap later. Definitely doesn't hurt to ask...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxtr6 View Post
Did you purchase it from an Audi dealership? If so just ask your salesman to hook you up, that's what I did with mine, remember it never hurts to ask.

--
Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Florett Silver/Chestnut Brown
Previous: 2012 Volvo S60 T5, Vibrant Copper/Beechwood
2009 Audi A3 2.0T, Ibis White/Luxor Beige
post #7 of 16 Old 12-14-2015, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you for your reply and your time. I was afraid that might be the answer as I searched the web and youtube and could not ding more information about it. Anyways, as some of our friends were saying, it doesn't hurt to ask the dealership if they could help me. I will try that.

Great to have people like yourselves sharing your knowledge in forums such as this one. It's so helpful. Hopefully I will be of help soon.

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!
VG
post #8 of 16 Old 12-15-2015, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghivi01 View Post
Hello! I just received my new (new for me but it's a CPO) Audi Q3 2015 from Michigan where apparently the front license plate is needed. In Florida, we don't need it. I don't want to replace the whole grill because it costs a lot. I was looking at it and noticed 2 screws right in the middle of the the plate holder. Just wandering if that portion that holds the license plate only can be removed. Thank you.
My dilemma was the opposite of your: bought car in a no-front plate state & bringing it to a yes-front plate state.

While I don't doubt any one of us could have switched the panel out - with directions - in lieu of that I just had my local dealer do that & billed back the original selling dealer the cost of their time.

But you can see what it looks like & how much it costs for me here:

Front License Plate Holder dilema

Current Stable:
2015.VW GTI.4S in Midnight Blue+LP+MM
2016.Audi Q3 Prestige Quattro in Mythos Black+Chestnut+Aluminum+Sport Pack
post #9 of 16 Old 12-15-2015, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Garage
btw - MOST dealers will NOT pay for a front plate delete in a state that doesn't require a plate - that is; Audi will NOT reimburse a dealer to put a blank (plate delete) on a car that originated in a state that required a plate when it is moved to a state that doesn't. They USUALLY will pay (always for new cars) for the other way round though as they are required by the state (requiring the plate) to have a vehicle suitable for a front plate, when it enters. This can and often does confuse folks even dealers...
Q3User likes this.

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #10 of 16 Old 03-18-2016, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I have a 2016 Q3 Prestige and also thought about removing the front license plate holder. When I ordered the car, the dealer mentioned "license plate delete," but I didn't think about it at the time since my state required front plate. At the time, I didn't know about the tow hook license plate mount, otherwise I would have opted for the plate delete.

Anyone know where is the cheapest place to get the plate delete? I assume its just the trim cluster, and not the entire grill, correct? Is it hard to replace? If I'm not mistaken, I think there are parking sensors near the plate mount.

Most sites I went to didn't have tow hook plate mount for the Q3. Does the one for other Audi models work? Since there are parking sensors by the tow hook mount area, would it obstruct the sensors if the plate is sitting in front of them?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page