Cargo net/bag - Audi Q3 Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 4 Old 03-28-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cargo net/bag

Has anybody made sense out of the supposed cargo bag configuration for the cargo net?

The manual describes (poorly) an arrangement where the thin straps with rings on the ends hook onto the grocery bag hooks. As far as I can tell, the larger hooks at the bottom of the bag end can only fit the eyelets under the load sill, and the thin straps can just reach the grocery hooks at the same time. The other large hooks can even stretch across to the plastic eyelets on the seat back, having all six straps hooked in at once. The part of the net with the pouch then angles up at roughly 45 degrees and the other half forms a horizontal shelf of sorts.

But, I have a hard time seeing the utility of this. Other than letting the car play cats cradle with itself, what would you do with the net stretched like this? It seems like a flimsy arrangement. I tried leaving it that way and one of the thin straps popped loose on its own within a day, even without any real cargo flying around back there. It seems like it would most likely snap loose and lash out at anyone trying to load or unload cargo in or under the net.

Is there some other configuration that actually proves useful for anybody, besides stretched tightly across the floor?

2017 Q3 premium quattro
post #2 of 4 Old 03-28-2017, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Garage
While it's stretched across the floor, you can stuff stuff under it and it will expand while holding the stuff reasonably well in place. It's NOT meant to be either a furniture pad nor a lock down, just an easy slider preventer - for a nominal amount of smaller stuff - not big boxes that wouldn't move around much anyway.

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #3 of 4 Old 03-28-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Right, my old A4 had a cargo net across the floor, except a little more old-fashioned in that it had adjustable straps and buckles to expand rather than so much elasticity.

What I find odd is the description in the manual about an alternate configuration. They go to some trouble to describe the correct orientation including the use of the extra little straps and the grocery hooks, but the whole description fails to let me visualize it. I had to almost completely invert what I thought it said in order to find something that was physically possible.

If only it had been translated from Japanese with some exploded diagrams like an 80s piece of engineering, I'd probably have figured it out already... Unfortunately, I think the German engineering mindset for certain little details is counter-intuitive, kind of like the MMI knob that from my perspective goes the wrong way in vertical lists! I briefly wonder if the indexing wheel is broken or the software frozen when the cursor doesn't move, before I remember to turn it backwards...

2017 Q3 premium quattro

post #4 of 4 Old 03-29-2017, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Garage
They JUST changed the cursor knob in the latest gen cars (Q7, A4, Q5) but not Q3 yet ...

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page