Q3 Cargo space - Audi Q3 Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 03-11-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Q3 Cargo space

Hi, I am considering buying a Q3 or a Q5 & wanted to ask all the Q3 owners if they feel that the Q3 is roomy enough especially when it comes to the trunk size? How many standard 50 lb (check in) bags can you fit in? What about strollers etc? Did you ever feel like you should have bought a larger SUV? Thanks!
post #2 of 33 Old 03-11-2015, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rads View Post
Hi, I am considering buying a Q3 or a Q5 & wanted to ask all the Q3 owners if they feel that the Q3 is roomy enough especially when it comes to the trunk size? How many standard 50 lb (check in) bags can you fit in? What about strollers etc? Did you ever feel like you should have bought a larger SUV? Thanks!
IMO the trunk space is way to small.

Lets just say that the Q3 isn't for familes, but singles or empty nesters. My wife even says that the trunk doesn't hold all her groceries without putting down the rear seats, which means you have to move the front seats up because the rear doesn't fold flat otherwise.

If you're looking at it for a family then get the Q5.

Wonder if the new coming out Q1 will be larger than a Yugo? (Make note to take meds)...LOL

Last edited by MPBQ3; 03-11-2015 at 08:31 PM.
post #3 of 33 Old 03-11-2015, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I test drove both the Q3 and Q5. As a part of my test drive, I drove home and parked them in the garage. I also check to see if our luggage fit.

Yes the Q5 had more luggage space, but for me the Q3 was adequate. The deciding factor was the tight space in the garage. The Q5 was just too tight, much tighter than my A4 is today. Also, I thought the 2.0T was just a little under powered for the Q5.

If I had a wider garage and enough $$ for either of the 3.0 engines, I would have purchased the Q5.

post #4 of 33 Old 03-12-2015, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
Seriously? How many groceries does your wife buy?!

The Q3 is fine for our family of 4 (4yr old twins).
However, we are glad our stroller time is over as it doesn't fit into the Q3. For a recent roadtrip to Paris for Disneyland Paris, we used a roof box to store the stroller and additional luggage.

For day to day use, it's perfectly adequate for our needs.

2014 Audi Q3 S-Line Plus Misano Red 2.0TDi 177 S-Tronic Quattro with Pano Sunroof, LED Lighting, Heated Seats, Technology Pack, RSQ3 pedals
post #5 of 33 Old 03-12-2015, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
We fall into the empty nester bucket. So we are LONG past the phase of strollers
I did many a vacation in a mini van.

Like I said, the garage test was a clincher for me. The collision warning alarms were going off on all sides. Plus the Q3 is a sportier drive than the Q5 with the same engine. It handles like my 2005 A4, which has been a great car. It has over 200K miles on it.
post #6 of 33 Old 03-12-2015, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I’m going to chime in on this, although I have no answers. I am also in the narrow garage (1929 two car) situation and after lots of measuring I know I max out at a 72 inch wide vehicle. Our nest has been empty for about 25 years so we don’t need to schlep kids or kid stuff. What trunk volume we do need is limited to the occasional bike transport (a different thread), Costco runs and taking luggage with us when we go on vacation. So, I am going to ask essentially the same question as rads the OP.

How many standard 50 lb (check in) bags can you fit in? And in my case, I mean in the covered area behind the rear seats.

Thanks,
Bob
post #7 of 33 Old 03-12-2015, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Garage
Since I am usually so shy, I must be careful with my chime in - but yatta hey :

For two of us - I have yet to even come close to filling the trunk with groceries - seats normal, two fold-up bins for stability and a 1 ft3 cooler for cold/frozen stuff already in the trunk - with the privacy cover on. Now I will admit that we visit the food store more than once a week (but usually only twice), and a Costco once a month, but really have had NO issues with capacity. I did fold the seats down once whilst taking about a dozen cardboard boxes (broken down) to the recycle center - but that's only once a month or so ...

For me, my wife and a roadtrip for us - the Q3 is perfectly sized -

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #8 of 33 Old 03-12-2015, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to nickjs1984
Hmm. So far, I've not had any problems getting a variety of cargo and passengers in the car though I've not yet done an airport run. That said, it's definitely got at least as much space as my 2009 A3 and that would easily accommodate two checked (50 lb) suitcases and two carry on bags in the hatch area. So I'm not terribly worried...

--
Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Florett Silver/Chestnut Brown
Previous: 2012 Volvo S60 T5, Vibrant Copper/Beechwood
2009 Audi A3 2.0T, Ibis White/Luxor Beige
post #9 of 33 Old 03-12-2015, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Doug-

My '06 A4 has 157,000 on it and it has had its share of maintenance issues over the years. I'm curious how yours held up.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 33 Old 03-12-2015, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Quick question for any current O3 owner.

Does folding down the rear seats limit the backward movement of the front seats?

Thanks

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page