User Tag List

8Likes

post #1 of 43 Old 10-20-2015, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Wind noise on highway

Hi,

I noticed there is a little bit of wind noise on highway starting at around 60-70 mph. Seems like it's coming from the driver's side door frame. Sometimes it's louder and sometimes a lot better, probably due to the outside wind speed and direction.

It's not loud enough to say uncomfortable, but it's there for sure. Maybe the interior is quiet to begin with, and that makes the wind noise more noticeable? Just trying to see if this is somewhat normal or something wrong with mine.

Thanks,
post #2 of 43 Old 10-20-2015, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
On our recent trip to California we were traveling a mix of highway speeds from 60-65 in some areas to 70-75+ in areas posted at 70. I definitely noticed that there was wind noise when we got into the 70MPH and up range. I thought it was coming from both the driver and passenger sides and wondered if it was originating around the mirrors. Otherwise the car was very quiet (and comfortable). I was discouraged by the wind noise, but the given where we live we don't go that fast unless we travel out of town and even then much of that travel isn't going to be at those speeds (although Oregon is planning to raise the speed limit in some areas). So this is going to be a fairly rare issue. When we tested a BMW X1 before buying the Q3 I noticed wind noise in the X1 even going 50 on country roads and it seemed to be coming from the front windshield/roof area. Glad we are way better than that.

John
2016 Q3 Prestige
Mythos Black w/Chestnut Brown
Sport Package
post #3 of 43 Old 10-20-2015, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Garage
Same here as above 70 it seems as though the wind noise is buffeting around the front A pillar near the windshield and driver door a lot more

That said I think the overall sound deadening of the Q3 is excellent and as owners we tend to focus on any anomaly such as in noise that make its way into the cabin.
DEQ3.NEWB likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 10-21-2015, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Totally agreed with you guys. On my previous car at that speed, the cabin will be full of road noise and it's a lot louder than the current minor wind noise. I really think the Q3 did a very good job.
post #5 of 43 Old 10-21-2015, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I use my Q3 for daily driving, to and from work. the noise is unnoticeable unless you're running in a speed of 70mph and up
post #6 of 43 Old 10-21-2015, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIble View Post
I use my Q3 for daily driving, to and from work. the noise is unnoticeable unless you're running in a speed of 70mph and up
With a name like AUDIble I think I will nominate you as the expert on this one!!!
DampDuffer and DEQ3.NEWB like this.

2015 Q3, Florett Silver Metallic, Quattro with lots-o-bells & whistles
2013 A5 Cabriolet, Cuvee Silver, Quattro with lots-o-bells & whistles
post #7 of 43 Old 10-21-2015, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
I too am impressed with the quiet ride of the Q3. It is quieter than my 9 year-old Lexus.

Not sure if the noise level increases appreciably above 70mph....so far I've just been the navigator with my wife doing all the higher speed driving with one of her 60's era rock band (usually The Who) CDs playing at warp 10!

I was not particularly impressed with the cabin quiet of the 2015 Q5 demo car we borrowed for a 500+ mile trip.......

2016 Q3 2.0 TFSI Quattro Prestige, Florett Silver/Black
post #8 of 43 Old 11-14-2015, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

After a few more weeks of driving and experimenting, I think my Q3 might have some wind noise issue.

Even at speed of 45-ish mph, sometimes I can hear wind noise coming from the driver's door top corner. Probably also depends on the outside wind speed and direction too, that's why only sometimes. And of course the faster the louder. When it gets to around 60 mph (even on a calm day), it becomes relatively loud (as said before the cabin is fairly quiet to begin with, that might make the wind noise more obvious).

What makes me think it's a real issue is that 1) it starts happening at such a low speed 2) the passenger side seems to be a lot better.

I will probably talk to my dealership regarding this. Just curious does anyone encounter or heard of similar issue?
post #9 of 43 Old 11-14-2015, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Garage
Every car has wind noise - it's just there. The only way to get rid of its effects is to insulate the heck out of your interior (or windows - double panes) - both at extra $$ and weight. If the Q3 is too loud for you (provided all weather stripping and trim is factory fitted and secure) then buy and A8L ... $120K. For this segment (compact SUV) the Q3 is amongst the quietest already - enjoy that.

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #10 of 43 Old 11-24-2015, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIble View Post

On our 1200+ mile road trip last week I only noticed significant wind nose over 70 MPH (and I confess that I drove that fast or faster whenever I got the chance) but we were also driving in higher winds the majority of the time. Actually, I noticed that strong cross winds contributed to the noise more than head winds. I didn't find it to be bad and around town the Q3 interior is quiet. All in all I'm quite happy with the Q3's cabin and haven't found wind noise to be a big issue.
rnlabas likes this.

2016 Q3 Prestige Quattro w/Sport Package & Homelink/Monsoon Gray/Black Leather

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page