Which Wheels - 18 or 19? - Audi Q3 Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

post #1 of 26 Old 02-11-2015, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which Wheels - 18 or 19?

I am probably going to purchase a Q3 and have been looking at the options. Inventory is very low in my area and so there aren't many to choose from.

Other than aesthetics, is there any reason to spend the additional $800 for the 19" wheels with 255/40 tires or should one stick with the standard 18" wheels with 235/50 tires?

Thanks in advance.
post #2 of 26 Old 02-11-2015, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to nickjs1984
I've got the 18" wheels and have no complaints. I preferred the way they looked, honestly and thought the tires would be less expensive to replace over the four years I'll be leasing this car.

--
Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Florett Silver/Chestnut Brown
Previous: 2012 Volvo S60 T5, Vibrant Copper/Beechwood
2009 Audi A3 2.0T, Ibis White/Luxor Beige
post #3 of 26 Old 02-11-2015, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Garage
I just like the looks of the off-road style wheel and that they're 19s - it's a matter of personal choice - was worth the $800 to me, as I prolly would've gone for an aftermarket wheel/tire if I hadn't got these. I get a lot of compliments on them too... Someone could/will argue the wider tire is worth something, but imho that's negligible really for what this car can be used for.

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red

post #4 of 26 Old 02-11-2015, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure if the 19" tires are low profile or not but...

low profiles from what I understand do not last as long nor ride as well and will blow out faster when hitting a pot hole where as the others may not (all factors being equal).

Again, no personal experience just the comments from folks that have experienced them as well as car sales people.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 Old 02-11-2015, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
If you prefer a slightly more forgiving ride and better pothole survival for your wheels then the 18's are your better choice. Test drive both. But if looks are your primary interest, go with what you like best.

Steve

2015 Audi Q3 2.0T Quattro Tiptronic - Florett Silver / Black
2001 Audi A6 Avant 2.8 Quattro - Ming Blue / Black
1983 Porsche 928 S 5sp - Black / Pearl White
post #6 of 26 Old 02-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Garage
While ride quality and fuel consumption can be a variable of tire profile, load rating and sidewall stiffness will determine "pothole" survivability for the tire. In this case they are both adjusted to essentially be equal. What WILL be more of a "pothole" survivability variable will be for the wheel itself, which in the case of the wider lower profile tire, would edge in favor of the 18" wheel. However in this case THAT is offset by the fact that the 19" wheels are forged rather than cast (as are the 18" wheels), which makes the 19s much stronger - and hence the biggest difference towards the added cost.

Wear (which is not a profile variable but rather one of compound and pressure) is out of the comparison as I expect there is more difference in compound or even manufacturer between these options. And I feel "pothole" survivability won't practically vary much between them either...

Just my 2¢ -
nickjs1984 and Ohio Joe like this.

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #7 of 26 Old 02-12-2015, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to nickjs1984
Informative, as always. More like 4¢, maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnlabas View Post
While ride quality and fuel consumption can be a variable of tire profile, load rating and sidewall stiffness will determine "pothole" survivability for the tire. In this case they are both adjusted to essentially be equal. What WILL be more of a "pothole" survivability variable will be for the wheel itself, which in the case of the wider lower profile tire, would edge in favor of the 18" wheel. However in this case THAT is offset by the fact that the 19" wheels are forged rather than cast (as are the 18" wheels), which makes the 19s much stronger - and hence the biggest difference towards the added cost.

Wear (which is not a profile variable but rather one of compound and pressure) is out of the comparison as I expect there is more difference in compound or even manufacturer between these options. And I feel "pothole" survivability won't practically vary much between them either...

Just my 2¢ -

--
Current:
, Florett Silver/Chestnut Brown
Previous: 2012 Volvo S60 T5, Vibrant Copper/Beechwood
2009 Audi A3 2.0T, Ibis White/Luxor Beige
post #8 of 26 Old 02-12-2015, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Bottom line: If more money for more bling(and likely pricier tires) is your thing...go 19".

19" on a Q3 is kinda like putting 22"-ers on my work truck, i.e., what's the point?
post #9 of 26 Old 02-12-2015, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks to all of you for your very informative replies to my original post. I look forward to becoming an active participant in this forum once I finally make the purchase.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-13-2015, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I do suggest test driving both configurations. There's nothing like a seat of the pants comparison.
rnlabas likes this.

Steve

2015 Audi Q3 2.0T Quattro Tiptronic - Florett Silver / Black
2001 Audi A6 Avant 2.8 Quattro - Ming Blue / Black
1983 Porsche 928 S 5sp - Black / Pearl White

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page