Bushing noise coming from passenger side - Audi Q3 Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 15 Old 09-12-2015, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Bushing noise coming from passenger side

Many of you know that I have KW coilovers.

There's been a strange noise from the passenger side (front) that sounds very much like rubber bushing noise every time I go over a large bump or a dip.

It doesn't sound like a mental "clank" but a hard rubber sound. (I had an old dried out bushing in my Passat and it sounds very similar to that)

But I'm wondering how a 2015 car can have a dried out bushing...

I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow, I know this won't be covered by warranty since I have coilovers.

If the bill is really high, I will take it to the shop that installed the coilovers (I can't go there right now cause they are not open on weekends)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2 of 15 Old 09-13-2015, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Garage
You may have a bump stop (a big rubber piece) that has moved - I am curious what the visual says -

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #3 of 15 Old 09-13-2015, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnlabas View Post
You may have a bump stop (a big rubber piece) that has moved - I am curious what the visual says -
Is this bump stop part of stock suspension system? or would it be a new one from the KW? Also do you think the dealership service would be able to do anything about it? (not under warranty, of course)

I will be taking it to the dealership this afternoon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old 09-13-2015, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Prolly the stock ones - BUT, there could be new ones for the coil-overs too - usually of a different compound to match the shocks.

- Roger

post #5 of 15 Old 09-13-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Roger!

I took it to the dealership this afternoon. I described the noise to the service manager and also explained the fact that I have aftermarket suspension.

So what's the first thing he tells me? "It could be due to your aftermarket coilover"

So I told him what I was going to tell him anyway, "I understand it's not going to be covered under warranty, just find the noise source and fix it"

Hopefully the fix is simple and I have the car back by tomorrow with not-so-high bill

post #6 of 15 Old 09-14-2015, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

So the audi service just called me.

They said the noise is coming from the rear and it's because KW variant 1 doesn't have a bump stop on the rear and that the perch is directly on the spring.

I don't know exactly what this means....

post #7 of 15 Old 09-14-2015, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Here's what the Report from Audi Services states

"Found aftermarket coilover spring perch for rear has no rubber bushing from body to perch and is at lowest point at spring perch"

What does THAT mean? haha

post #8 of 15 Old 09-14-2015, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Also found this on a BMW forum, it sounds very similar to my issue. (i.e. noise when suspension "drops" or "unloaded" and 'gronk' noise rather than 'clunk' noise)

I'm passing along this advice/experience in the hopes that someone else may benefit from our discovery via long period of trial and error.

I had a recurring thunk/clunk coming from the left rear corner. It made a 'gronk' noise that was rather loud and very annoying. Easily replicated in a quiet parking lot at 10-15mph by first loading and then unloading the left rear corner. Even a small bump would do it.

I suspected worn bushings in the Rogue RSMs; bought a new set and replaced them. Noise abated for around 50 miles then returned. Both Rogue and KW were helpful and responsive on support questions but we could not find the cause.

I Went through much trial and error with my smart and very patient mechanic (Plug for Bruce Barthel, bmwmd.com). We inspected and verified torques on all the bolts of the rear end (frame, suspension, differential, exhaust, etc) but noise persisted. We eventually tracked the problem to the uppermost two coils of the KW spring rubbing together when loading/unloading that corner. The friction had worn through plastic outer coating of the KW spring, allowing the plastic/metal of the coils to bind/rub against one another, especially when that corner got unloaded.

Wrapping the individual coils of that spring with two layers of 3M electrical tape has so far totally eliminated the noise. Not sure yet about the long term reliability on the tape. It will probably last a while here in SoCal. I plan to replace the tape with a synthetic rubber coating product like Plasti-Dip, or some other permanent rubber tubing that I can slip over the coils.

Also, we noticed also that the KW threaded collar was loose enough to wobble slightly on the threaded perch post. This seems odd and not very "German" if you get my drift. We used two passes of plumber’s teflon tape to snug up the fit between the collar and the threaded post.

post #9 of 15 Old 09-15-2015, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I guess that your bump stops either moved right off/out or never existed - strange to me. Perhaps the original ones can be found and fitted to work - they're basically a rubber gasket between the spring and the perch (or tower cap that the spring fits into) - I'm surprised that KW kits would leave these out or the installer did ... maybe a brain fart -

- Roger

post #10 of 15 Old 09-15-2015, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

I've emailed KW and this is the response I received from them:

John,

Thank you for contacting KW.

The rear does not need a bushing for the rear perch and this has been our design for ALL divorce rear end suspension with no issue.

I would make sure the mounts are TQed properly.

Usually if the mount is not tqed to spec you will hear this noise.

I'm going to the garage that installed the coilover this Saturday and have them diagnose and suggest they check the torques.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page