User Tag List

1Likes

post #1 of 19 Old 04-21-2016, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question Continental Tire Blowout on new Q3 with 1900 mi

Hello,

I am a little frustrated that my very nice Q3 had a tire blowout on Hwy 5. It was a pretty scary few seconds at 80 mph. I was lucky that a tire/tow shop had a replacement 255/40 R19. I took the bad tire back to the dealership and got no help except to discard the tire.

Questions: Does Audi or the dealership have records of tire serial numbers installed on their cars?

Should the tire pressure sensor have given us a warning?

Has anyone had a similar experience with these wide Continentals?

I've sent emails to the San Jose Audi salesperson and the dealership contact but have not heard back.

Thanks,

Jim C

2016 Audi Q3 Quattro Prestige (Cuvee Silver/Chestnut)
post #2 of 19 Old 04-21-2016, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Garage
The tires DO have serial numbers and they ARE documented for your car at delivery. This is NOT a common experience though with the numbers, we can expect 5-8 folks here having something similar. Your TPMS can react fast, but for a real blowout of less than a second or 2, nothing so far installed in tires today can beat that. I had a catastrophic tire failure (puncture) and the TPMS DID react, but in reality just about in time to tell me my tire was flat. This was at 40 mph over about 200 yards. I had NO scary effects and was able to drive the rest of about 600 yards directly to my Audi store - I was headed there anyway, what luck, or not as it cost me $300.

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #3 of 19 Old 04-21-2016, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry to heard about the tire, to answer your questions

-I doubt anyone has a serial number for the tires.

-No necessary, if it blows with out losing pressure before, then the pressure sensor wont warning you.

-I had to replace one of my tires at around 5000 miles. Mine didn't blow, but got flat and while fixing it, discount tire discover it was defective. Dealer didn't exchange it because I didn't purchase a tire warranty. Same 19" continental.

-

Juan
2015 Q3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO PRESTIGE, SPORT PACKAGE, 19" OFFROAD WHEELS, MONSOON GREY METALLIC/BLACK INTERIOR.
2012 VOLKSWAGEN TIGUAN 2.0TSI SE, PREMIUM AUDIO, CANDY WHITE/BEIGE INTERIOR.
2008 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA 2.5 SE, PREMIUM AUDIO, MOONROOF, STANDARD TRANSMISSION, GRAPHITE BLUE/BLACK INTERIOR.

post #4 of 19 Old 04-22-2016, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by felipefaccini View Post
Dealer didn't exchange it because I didn't purchase a tire warranty. Same 19" continental.-
I just have to say that the tire should be warranted by the tire manufacturer. If a tire is defective they, the manufacturer, should adjust/replace it under their warranty. The warranty will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and tire to tire but their should be some coverage with any defective tire....

2015 Q3, Florett Silver Metallic, Quattro with lots-o-bells & whistles
2013 A5 Cabriolet, Cuvee Silver, Quattro with lots-o-bells & whistles
post #5 of 19 Old 04-22-2016, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Joe View Post
I just have to say that the tire should be warranted by the tire manufacturer. If a tire is defective they, the manufacturer, should adjust/replace it under their warranty. The warranty will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and tire to tire but their should be some coverage with any defective tire....
I agree, but dealer didn't. ended up buying a new tire and warranty on all 4 of them from Discount Tire. Cost me about $650, Just the tire cost $550 at the dealer.

Juan
2015 Q3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO PRESTIGE, SPORT PACKAGE, 19" OFFROAD WHEELS, MONSOON GREY METALLIC/BLACK INTERIOR.
2012 VOLKSWAGEN TIGUAN 2.0TSI SE, PREMIUM AUDIO, CANDY WHITE/BEIGE INTERIOR.
2008 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA 2.5 SE, PREMIUM AUDIO, MOONROOF, STANDARD TRANSMISSION, GRAPHITE BLUE/BLACK INTERIOR.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-22-2016, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Call Continental directly at 800-847-3349. Audi probably won't do anything (might assist you though) but Conti should...
Attached Images
File Type: png Conti.PNG (62.4 KB, 11 views)

2015 Q3, Florett Silver Metallic, Quattro with lots-o-bells & whistles
2013 A5 Cabriolet, Cuvee Silver, Quattro with lots-o-bells & whistles
post #7 of 19 Old 04-22-2016, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
A refresher on my experience about 6 weeks ago when changing from winter tires back to the Continentals. Three of four tires had a fairly large bubble on the interior sidewall. Discount tire contacted Continental and they agreed to replace all three. They had about 2000-2500 miles on them of which 1000 was one road trip. Rest around town driving. Discount Tire went to bat for me on this one. I have given them a lot of business between our two cars and sending daughters there too. Hearing of the blowout is concerning after my experience.

John
2016 Q3 Prestige
Mythos Black w/Chestnut Brown
Sport Package
post #8 of 19 Old 04-26-2016, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks all for the responses.

I carried the damaged tire back to San Jose from L.A. and went to the dealer. Basically the service rep told me that
Audi does not warranty the tire and I should contact Continental. At that point I was tired and dirty and just wanted to be rid of the tire
so I asked the service rep if he could discard it for me. He took the tire and the shreds.

In hindsight I should have searched for a local Conti dealer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg conti tire.JPG (164.8 KB, 19 views)

Jim C

2016 Audi Q3 Quattro Prestige (Cuvee Silver/Chestnut)
post #9 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
WOW!, scary!
post #10 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuroMexicano View Post
WOW!, scary!
Agreed!!

When we ordered our Q3 I asked the dealer if I could substitute Michelin tires for the stock Continentals as I'd heard bad things about Continental tires over the years.

Of course the answer was, "NO," but I'm going to keep a very close on the tires and inspect them at every gas stop from now on....if even one blisters, I'm getting rid of all of them.

A thousand dollars or so for quality tires is cheap life insurance, IMO.

2016 Q3 2.0 TFSI Quattro Prestige, Florett Silver/Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page