1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tanqueray

post #1 of 10 Old 06-14-2016, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Power Tailgate Installation

Hi guys,

I recently purchased my Q3 (about a week ago), and so far I am loving it! Prior to the Q3, I was driving an Acura TSX, but my fiancé and I decided it was time for a new ride and the Q3 was the perfect choice for us. I went with the Premium Plus model in Cortina white, however the Premium plus model without the navigation that they had on the lot did not come with power tailgate. I didn't really care for it much, so I was fine without it. The issue however is that my fiancé cannot reach the tailgate to close it! I called the dealership and asked if I can get one installed but they informed me that it wasn't something they can install. Do you guys have any suggestions to where I can take my car to get one installed? I realize it could be a lot pricier than if I had just picked one from the lot with one, but at this point I don't have much of a choice.

Thank you!

Last edited by jaespera; 06-14-2016 at 01:11 PM. Reason: clarification
post #2 of 10 Old 06-14-2016, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
If power gate is not possible anywhere else, try something like this?

trunk pull strap
BobInPa likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 06-14-2016, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
The pull strap seems like an inexpensive solution. Perhaps you could replace the hydraulic struts with shorter ones. Rig up something to keep it from opening all the way.
Or 9 inch heels, for your fiancé because she’s the one that needs them.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-15-2016, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Off/On topic: My key fob opens with the hatch with one push. To close it I must hold down on the fob button the whole time as it closes? Is this normal? It functions the same was with the button inside the driver door. The only button that closes it with one push is the one on the hatch itself. The fob and drivers's door switch supposed to function like this?

Previous/Current non-Audi vehicles is functions differently - push fob/inside vehicle button and it closes. No need to hold it down.

Thanks, John

2016 Audi Q3 Prestige Cortina White - Hers
2016 Audi Q3 Prestige Glacier White - His
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Tusk White - Mine
post #5 of 10 Old 06-15-2016, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
Off/On topic: My key fob opens with the hatch with one push. To close it I must hold down on the fob button the whole time as it closes? Is this normal? It functions the same was with the button inside the driver door. The only button that closes it with one push is the one on the hatch itself. The fob and drivers's door switch supposed to function like this?

Previous/Current non-Audi vehicles is functions differently - push fob/inside vehicle button and it closes. No need to hold it down.

Thanks, John
Yes, I believe there was an old thread on this and the conclusion was that it's a "safety" feature. I guess Audi didn't want someone to press close button and leave when there was someone or something in the way to get hit by the hatch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 Old 06-16-2016, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Garage
@jaespera - welcome to the forum, glad you found us and hope we can help with about every other issue than this one. My guess to retro-add the power lid would be prohibitively expensive at this point - perhaps $1000 with parts and labor - so perhaps the pull handle is not so bad an idea. The struts on the power lid can be adjusted but not so with the manual ones...

If you REALLY REALLY want to retro-fit the power lid, your dealer could do it, unless Audi has some weird reason not to let them, which I could not expect.

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #7 of 10 Old 06-16-2016, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanqueray View Post
Yes, I believe there was an old thread on this and the conclusion was that it's a "safety" feature. I guess Audi didn't want someone to press close button and leave when there was someone or something in the way to get hit by the hatch.
I get that but it does have pinch protection so it would open if it encountered an object. It is one of the "quirky german engineering" items to get used to.

2016 Audi Q3 Prestige Cortina White - Hers
2016 Audi Q3 Prestige Glacier White - His
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Tusk White - Mine
post #8 of 10 Old 06-17-2016, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kufatec US has a complete retrofit electric hatch kit for the Q3. However, it is very expensive (around $1600 and I don't know if it includes labor). It also says "Please check before ordering whether in the tailgate the hole for the new ball pivots is present (approximately 8 cm below the existing ball pivots)" so I suppose that not all tail gates may be installed with the kit

Please look up in Google for "Kufatec USA" to find the store
post #9 of 10 Old 10-31-2016, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaespera View Post
Hi guys,

I recently purchased my Q3 (about a week ago), and so far I am loving it! Prior to the Q3, I was driving an Acura TSX, but my fiancé and I decided it was time for a new ride and the Q3 was the perfect choice for us. I went with the Premium Plus model in Cortina white, however the Premium plus model without the navigation that they had on the lot did not come with power tailgate. I didn't really care for it much, so I was fine without it. The issue however is that my fiancé cannot reach the tailgate to close it! I called the dealership and asked if I can get one installed but they informed me that it wasn't something they can install. Do you guys have any suggestions to where I can take my car to get one installed? I realize it could be a lot pricier than if I had just picked one from the lot with one, but at this point I don't have much of a choice.

Thank you!
I'm disabled and have a similar problem but I can just about manage to close tailgate from the side by holding the outside lower side edge of the rear window. Otherwise the strap (which by dealer offered to fit)
post #10 of 10 Old 11-10-2016, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I think Kufatec has a full retrofit kit for power tailgate, as i remember about 1500$. You can check their site

"Posted from LG G3 Dual SIM D858HK"

Audi Q3 2.0 TDI Quattro 184PS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page