User Tag List

7Likes

post #1 of 23 Old 01-07-2015, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
CarPlay

I was curious how Audi intends to implement CarPlay so I got my dealer to send me this FAQ:

Audi-Apple CarPlay FAQ

Q. Can’t I already connect my iPhone to my Audi MMI system?

A. For several years, Audi owners have been able to access music and address book files stored on their iPhones and iPods using the innovative Audi Music Interface connection with the MMI® system in their cars. In addition, most mobile devices can be connected through Bluetooth.

Q. How does CarPlay differ, then?

A. With the new CarPlay functions, Audi owners will be able to project the iPhone environment on the built-in displays of their cars. The unique MMI touch touchpad, voice commands and dials will then allow Audi owners to control and access their iPhone apps, as well as send and receive messages, listen to music and refer to Maps. When an iPhone is connected to the Audi MMI system by a USB cable, drivers will be asked if they want to use the display and controls for iPhone functions. Driver can switch to the MMI environment at any time and the CarPlay experience will end if the iPhone is disconnected.

Q. How will Audi control distractions with CarPlay?

A. Reducing driving distractions has been a core principle for Audi as electronics have taken a large role in the driving environment. That is no less true with the addition of CarPlay. With Apple engineers, Audi has included features that disable video or text-heavy content when the car is in motion. This is in keeping with current Audi MMI system practice.

Q. Why will it take until 2016 for CarPlay to appear in Audi models?

A. Audi is unique in offering drivers a touchpad to operate the MMI system while keeping their eyes on the road. This required the optimization of CarPlay for the advanced Audi system. What’s more, Audi will introduce CarPlay functionality with the next generation of its modular infotainment head unit now scheduled to appear in Europe next year and in U.S. models by early 2016. This timetable will allow the most seamless integration of CarPlay with the advanced voice recognition and other features. The Audi modular electronics architecture, or MIB, has been described by the automotive and technology media as an automotive breakthrough because it will allow engineers to quickly change out rapidly evolving components, such as graphics processors at the factory. This dramatically cuts the gap between cutting-edge consumer electronics lifecycles and automotive-grade electronics.

Q. Is Audi forcing me to choose between an iOS and an Android mobile device?

A. Absolutely not. Audi has announced a parallel plan to introduce Android Auto by 2015 in Europe and by early 2016 in the U.S. market. Android Auto will also allow Audi driver to access Android apps and services on their mobile devices.

Q. Does this all mean that Apple iOS will control the electronics systems in Audi models?

A. No. CarPlay allows the iPhone features to operate smoothly and efficiently with the in-car microphone, audio streams and in-car displays and driver inputs.

-END-

Contact Information

Bradley Stertz
Office: 703-364-7440
brad.stertz@audi.com
post #2 of 23 Old 01-07-2015, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
So will some US models get this system before 2016, or will it come out all at the same time in 2016?
post #3 of 23 Old 01-07-2015, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
I'ver had the option of internet access with my cars since 2009 and have absolutely no interest in carplay.
Quatto likes this.

post #4 of 23 Old 01-07-2015, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Eventually this will become more and more used, especially as self driving vehicles get into the hands of consumers, with less attention to focus on the road or none at all... there's more time to play around with tech.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-08-2015, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatto View Post
Eventually this will become more and more used, especially as self driving vehicles get into the hands of consumers, with less attention to focus on the road or none at all... there's more time to play around with tech.
Oh my, by then I hope I'm a slobbering boob in some home instead of riding behind the 'steering nub' fiddling with tech to find a YouTube video of the road I'm "driving" down...
vestergirl likes this.

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #6 of 23 Old 01-08-2015, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Once cars become autonomous I think the whole car industry will be focused on entertainment instead of driving. It will be a very interesting change in the auto industry.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-08-2015, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
omg !!

- Roger

post #8 of 23 Old 01-08-2015, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnlabas View Post
Oh my, by then I hope I'm a slobbering boob in some home instead of riding behind the 'steering nub' fiddling with tech to find a YouTube video of the road I'm "driving" down...
Riding* down
post #9 of 23 Old 01-08-2015, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
that's why driving is in quotes ...

- Roger

post #10 of 23 Old 07-07-2015, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Question Does 2016 Audi Q3 have CarPlay?

I've been reading articles that any new models coming out will have CarPlay, but its not 100% clear on the Audi specs page for the 2016 model.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page