User Tag List

11Likes

post #1 of 83 Old 02-24-2015, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Prepaid SIM card to replace MMI connect trial subscription

I've been reading many posts on several different audi forums about replacement SIM cards that are prepaid and fairly inexpensive compared to the $30 audi wants to charge for this service. I don't care about having a hot spot in my car but I really like the Google maps and I use the traffic and gas prices sometimes too.

Looks like Truphone gets their service thru T Mobile and it's inexpensive after you purchase the SIM card. I'm interested to hear if anyone has replaced their trial SIM card yet and with which service? I have Verizon Wireless and they will not let me purchase a SIM card unless I have a phone to register it to and in that case it's ANOTHER $40/mo. Not me....Bill is high enough.

If anyone wants some of the info I've found just PM me.
Anne
post #2 of 83 Old 02-25-2015, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Anne, Interesting thoughts.... We havent gotten there on our Q3 yet but on our A5 that time has come and gone and I havent really missed it... Might just be me but the maps and traffic (sirius traffic will stay way after the Audi connect expires) has worked just fine. That being said though, If cheap enough, I might think about having another go with it....

2015 Q3, Florett Silver Metallic, Quattro with lots-o-bells & whistles
2013 A5 Cabriolet, Cuvee Silver, Quattro with lots-o-bells & whistles
post #3 of 83 Old 02-25-2015, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMILL View Post
I've been reading many posts on several different audi forums about replacement SIM cards that are prepaid and fairly inexpensive compared to the $30 audi wants to charge for this service. I don't care about having a hot spot in my car but I really like the Google maps and I use the traffic and gas prices sometimes too.

Looks like Truphone gets their service thru T Mobile and it's inexpensive after you purchase the SIM card. I'm interested to hear if anyone has replaced their trial SIM card yet and with which service? I have Verizon Wireless and they will not let me purchase a SIM card unless I have a phone to register it to and in that case it's ANOTHER $40/mo. Not me....Bill is high enough.

If anyone wants some of the info I've found just PM me.
Anne
First, be careful NOT to confuse the relatively inexpensive voice service cost of a pre-paid SIM to that of data - needed for Audi Connect. Second, as far as carriers (e.g. Verizon) are concerned your car IS a phone -

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red

post #4 of 83 Old 02-25-2015, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Roger,
Some of the articles I read people have gotten Truphone prepaids and used the sim card i their audi. Maybe they're pulling my leg. I thought if you have a sim card from a phone (I guess it would have to include data) you can just use it in the car?
anne
post #5 of 83 Old 02-25-2015, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I don't know enough about Truphone plans to say really - I just want you to be aware that you need a data plan/service for your Audi and that voice and data plans from carriers are USUALLY separate -

Inexpensive pre-paid SIM cards are USUALLY for voice only, as data is still comparatively expensive ... just be aware and don't rush to stick a voice-only SIM into your car and be surprised/confused that it won't work -

Also, realize that in most of the RoW these cars (and BMWs, Mercedes, etc) can come with a phone only - that means, just a voice device in the first place. This was never very common nor accepted in the US, but in the EU was for many years - maybe still is.

- Roger

Last edited by rnlabas; 02-25-2015 at 08:40 AM.
post #6 of 83 Old 02-25-2015, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Not to hijack this thread but my SIM card and service came with AT&T as default. On the myAudi website (https://myaudiconnect.com/#/carrier/coverage) there is a selection for T-Mobile which is my current cell phone provider; which I was curious whether it was an option to consolidate my bills. When I asked my dealer about the possibility of switching to T-mobile, he said it wasn't available and that T-mobile shows only because it was a previous partner.

Does anyone know if switching to T-mobile is possible and/or if it's as easy as switching out SIM cards?
post #7 of 83 Old 02-25-2015, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
Im curious about t-mobile as well. I will try my sim card this weekend an see if it works

Juan
2015 Q3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO PRESTIGE, SPORT PACKAGE, 19" OFFROAD WHEELS, MONSOON GREY METALLIC/BLACK INTERIOR.
2012 VOLKSWAGEN TIGUAN 2.0TSI SE, PREMIUM AUDIO, CANDY WHITE/BEIGE INTERIOR.
2008 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA 2.5 SE, PREMIUM AUDIO, MOONROOF, STANDARD TRANSMISSION, GRAPHITE BLUE/BLACK INTERIOR.
post #8 of 83 Old 02-26-2015, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Probably not so relevant as I am in the UK but in my A6 which had the same high MMI system as your Q3's I bought a "3" mobile SIM card, it's just a normal PAYG card but came with 10GB of data free and it had an unlimited time frame, I had that card in my Hybrid for 5 months and used Google maps all the time, made only 3 calls (stationary,I am dead against calls in car) and at the end of the 5 months I still had about 9GB of data left, in fact the card is now in a spare phone we have and still working with credit left......

177 SE S-Tronic, Pistachio Nappa, Tech Pack, Luggage, Load, 18" 5xTwins, Hot Seats, Bright Bendy Lights, Wobbly Mirrors, LazyBoy Rear Hatch, yadda yadda yadda.....I'll think of more later, Oh yes, and now soft sticky tyres for winter.
post #9 of 83 Old 04-13-2015, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool New "audi connect" sim card thru truphone

Okay, I just got my Truphone sim card $29.99 with $15.00 account credit. After I set up an account and ordered the sim card I followed the instructions I found on one of the Audi forums, activated the sim card on their website, changed the data connection login info, and BOOM!!! It works!!! Now I don't know how much data it'll use up when I use Google Maps or Google search but I'm just thrilled to have something that I don't have to fork over $450 for 30 months of Audi Connect service I might or might not use...

I heard from a few people it's expensive for the data and I've heard from some people it takes practically no data off your plan. So we'll see...

If anyone wants anymore info from me if they're thinking about moving ahead with an alternative plan besides the $450 PM me...
rnlabas, jtechico and deverelle like this.
post #10 of 83 Old 04-13-2015, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Please keep us informed - this sounds like you've found a good alternative. I'll be very interested in how the Truphone data plan is being consumed by your car. I hardly use mine at all, so could just as easily be happy with what you've done.

- Roger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page