• 1 Post By MPBQ3
  • 1 Post By rnlabas

post #1 of 7 Old 04-18-2015, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
Advanced Key Stopped Working

Weird thing tonight, pulled over in a parking lot to take a picture of an amazing cloud formation, had my key in my pocket. When I went to start the car, it wouldn't recognize the key. Flipped open the manual (which, once again, should be a searchable pdf by now - it is 2015) and on page 69 found I should hold the key vertical next to the steering column. Voila, it syncs and car works again. My question is, what would have made it stop being recognized by the car? Is this something these keys do from time-to-time? Has this happened to anyone else?
post #2 of 7 Old 04-18-2015, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deverelle View Post
Weird thing tonight, pulled over in a parking lot to take a picture of an amazing cloud formation, had my key in my pocket. When I went to start the car, it wouldn't recognize the key. Flipped open the manual (which, once again, should be a searchable pdf by now - it is 2015) and on page 69 found I should hold the key vertical next to the steering column. Voila, it syncs and car works again. My question is, what would have made it stop being recognized by the car? Is this something these keys do from time-to-time? Has this happened to anyone else?
HMMM??? Amazing Cloud formations and the key not being recognized=aliens from outer space.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-18-2015, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to nickjs1984
I've had this happen twice now - no rhyme or reason and eventually just starts working again on its own. Very strange.

--
Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Florett Silver/Chestnut Brown
Previous: 2012 Volvo S60 T5, Vibrant Copper/Beechwood
2009 Audi A3 2.0T, Ibis White/Luxor Beige

post #4 of 7 Old 04-18-2015, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yup, it does. I've had my S5 key fo this 2-3 times in the last 6 years - doesn't seem to associated with battery life, just aliens ...btw, you should get a message when the battery gets low. Don't wait too long to change it. It sometimes gets wiggy on low battery. Changing the battery does NOT necessarily lead to a re-synch either.

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #5 of 7 Old 04-19-2015, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnlabas View Post
Yup, it does. I've had my S5 key fo this 2-3 times in the last 6 years - doesn't seem to associated with battery life, just aliens ...btw, you should get a message when the battery gets low. Don't wait too long to change it. It sometimes gets wiggy on low battery. Changing the battery does NOT necessarily lead to a re-synch either.
Pesky aliens. The cloud did look pretty suspicious.

Ignore me if this is in the manual and I'll go look it up, but any real world insight into how long the battery life is for the Advanced Keys? I am not getting a low battery warning yet. My key/car is less than six months old.

In other news, it looks like my beloved floor mats have cleared customs in Spain and are on their way. I ordered on the 6th, so they spent about 10 days hanging around Spain before released. I have never been so excited about floor mats. :-)
post #6 of 7 Old 04-19-2015, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Quote:

Ignore me if this is in the manual and I'll go look it up, but any real world insight into how long the battery life is for the Advanced Keys? I am not getting a low battery warning yet. My key/car is less than six months old.

In other news, it looks like my beloved floor mats have cleared customs in Spain and are on their way. I ordered on the 6th, so they spent about 10 days hanging around Spain before released. I have never been so excited about floor mats. :-)
Amazing how we get older sometimes the little things in life gets us excited.
rnlabas likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-19-2015, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

My Advanced Key batteries seem to last about 3 years so far - have changed them both once before, and just again this month... in 6 years. My dealer GIVES them to me - most do I think -
deverelle likes this.

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page