1Likes
  • 1 Post By rnlabas

post #1 of 8 Old 08-19-2015, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Garage
MMI Questions - Help!

Okay, I'm feeling really dumb. I consider myself pretty tech-savvy, but there are a few things within the Audi controls and MMI that are dumbfounding me!

1. Why is there no one-touch telephone button - anywhere?? Okay, so I get that I can initiate a call from my phone and it will connect through the car's audio system. Or I can go into the MMI's telephone display and do things there. But if I'm on an audio call and NOT in the telephone screen display, why isn't there a single button somewhere on the wheel or the dash to "end call?" Am I missing something?

2. Main and trip odometers / MPG current and average. I am completely confused by the center panel above the steering wheel. I've scrolled through every possible screen, and for the life of me, cannot figure out how to easily get to the main odometer, each trip odometer (how many are there?!), the average MPG (is that overall, or by trip?) and current. I was running the "eco mode" or whatever it is yesterday, and I thought it was showing me the current and average MPG, but I'm just really not sure. Any clarifcation??

THANK YOU!
post #2 of 8 Old 08-19-2015, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Garage
Oh, oops - one more thing...how to clear the odometers and average MPGs??
post #3 of 8 Old 08-19-2015, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Garage
Okay - let me "try" to help a bit - First, there is no one-touch button just hanging out on the dash or wheel to shutoff the phone. IF you use either the MMI screen OR the in-dash (between the gauges) display to initiate a call, then you DO have a one-button off option - either the key around the MMI knob (believe it's upper left -11:00) or the left steering scroll knob - (that you push) to end the call. But IF you say have the MMI on Nav, the in-dash screen on Car, AND you call from your phone (not hands-free, NOT recommended) and the call connects automagically thru BT, then the only way to end the call is either A) go to phone on your MMI, and then push the end-call button - this takes TWO button pushes, one to get to the phone screen and one to end the call; or B) use the top left button on your steering wheel to move to the phone (TWO button pushes, THEN push the scroll button in for the THIRD button push to end the call. For me (since my MMI screen is normally closed) I use the latter method - but since I also use THAT method to call (since I do NOT want to fumble for my phone to call), the in-dash screen is already set to phone and then i really only DO have ONE-BUTTON push to end the call.

Now the other stuff - Main and Trip odometers. Actual odometers you have just ONE Trip Odometer - it is reset by the button on the dash (right side of tach) that says "0.0" on it. just mash that baby and it will zero. Now for Computerized stuff, you have TWO odometers (distance and time) Trip (1) and Cumulative (2) whereas the trip is just between successive ignition on/offs and the cumulative is well, cumulative. So in that way you can think of them as current/average - but while the current is live as displayed when in view, as soon as you turn the car off, that value is average for that trip (say 1, 10 or 100 mile trip on OD1) and the cumulative (2) keeps going UNTIL you clear it to start over - which you might consider is a trip instead of say a leg.

To clear either of them you use the in-dash display and use the upper lefty button (with the arrows) to get to the Car menu and then use the scroll button to scroll through the values - each time you get to a value - push the scroll button in to clear that value. You will see a little number (1 or 2) in white in a little red box to the upper left of the middle part of the in-dash display as you scroll thru them. All the values associated with the Trip set will be 1, while the Cumulative set will be 2.

Hope this helps ...
harrsha likes this.

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-21-2015, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Now the other stuff - Main and Trip odometers. Actual odometers you have just ONE Trip Odometer - it is reset by the button on the dash (right side of tach) that says "0.0" on it. just mash that baby and it will zero. Now for Computerized stuff, you have TWO odometers (distance and time) Trip (1) and Cumulative (2) whereas the trip is just between successive ignition on/offs and the cumulative is well, cumulative. So in that way you can think of them as current/average - but while the current is live as displayed when in view, as soon as you turn the car off, that value is average for that trip (say 1, 10 or 100 mile trip on OD1) and the cumulative (2) keeps going UNTIL you clear it to start over - which you might consider is a trip instead of say a leg.

So I picked up my Q3 today. I have gone on a number of trips today and the #1 Trip is reading cumulative from all the driving today while #2 is reading cumulative from time the car first started running. A few people took a test drive in the car so that has more hours and miles. Trip #1 is not resetting between ignition on/offs. Any ideas?

Thanks! John

2016 Audi Q3 Prestige Cortina White - Hers
2016 Audi Q3 Prestige Glacier White - His
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Tusk White - Mine
post #5 of 8 Old 08-23-2015, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Garage
Perhaps I confused things by the way I said it. You COULD use OD1 like a leg or trip odometer and timer, BUT you don't have to - if you reset them and never reset the OD1, it will continue to accumulate also - I didn't mean to say OD1 automagically reset between successive offs and ons -

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #6 of 8 Old 08-23-2015, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnlabas View Post
Perhaps I confused things by the way I said it. You COULD use OD1 like a leg or trip odometer and timer, BUT you don't have to - if you reset them and never reset the OD1, it will continue to accumulate also - I didn't mean to say OD1 automagically reset between successive offs and ons -
I actually read the manual! It states that OD1 will reset each time you turn off/on the vehicle IF it has been less than 2 hours between ignition off/on. So if less than 2 hours, like I experienced, it will be cumulative until 2 hours elapses between on/off. Good to know!!
Page 22 in the manual.

2016 Audi Q3 Prestige Cortina White - Hers
2016 Audi Q3 Prestige Glacier White - His
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Tusk White - Mine
post #7 of 8 Old 10-16-2015, 03:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Hmmm.....

Riding as co-pilot/navigator with my wife this evening and showing her some of the magic of the MMI, I was unable to get the screen out of the North-Up mode.

When in "settings," I scrolled to Dir. of Travel....but it was not lit up, meaning it was not a selection I was "allowed" to make.

The OM says the North Up mode is "Only possible in the 2D map view," but we were in 3D.

I goes on to say "When the 3D function is switched on......the map orientation is set automatically to Dir. of Travel." It also says "at a scale of 62 miles and larger, the map is oriented to the north."

I tried ever scale the map has to offer, but the setting mode would never allow me to select "Dir. of Travel"

My wife drives the car daily and does NOT use the navigation feature. I, on the other hand, always use navigation and the display has always allowed me to use "Dir. of Travel." I haven't driven the car for a couple of weeks, so I don't know how long this situation has existed.

Any thoughts?

2016 Q3 2.0 TFSI Quattro Prestige, Florett Silver/Black
post #8 of 8 Old 10-16-2015, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Well, I can't say I know what I did to resolve the situation, but the map orientation is now set to "Automatic."

I did find that "map orientation" is not something you can change while in 3D, but today when I used 2D (I swear I did this last night too..), I was able to scroll between "Automatic," "North," and "Dir. of Travel."

So all is good, but I posted the "fix" here in case others encounter the same dilemma.

2016 Q3 2.0 TFSI Quattro Prestige, Florett Silver/Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page