NAV and Audi Connect - Audi Q3 Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 13 Old 10-05-2015, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
NAV and Audi Connect

My Audi Connect subscription is about to expire and so far I am not all that impressed. Everything the connect can do, my iOS and google seem to do better; albeit its not integrated into my dash screen.

I tend to use Google Maps on my iOS and have noticed that if I set the same destination on the car and phone they show different routes with the phone always showing me a faster route and updating along the way. Plus it finds locations faster and more intuitively than the in dash unit. Am I doing it wrong???

Other than the MMI Connect App and myAudi Destinations I don't use a lot of these features. The WiFi hot spot is a nice idea but it's slow compared to my phone.

What do you'll find yourself doing with Audi Connect when your subscription expires?

For those of you who let it drop do you miss it?

2015 AUDI Q3 PRESTIGE, 2.0TFSI QUATTRO, SPORT PACKAGE, MONSOON GRAY METALLIC/ROCK GRAY

2013 INFINITI JX35
post #2 of 13 Old 10-05-2015, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Sadly I am not using any of these features.

2016 Audi Q3 Prestige Cortina White - Hers
2016 Audi Q3 Prestige Glacier White - His
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Tusk White - Mine
post #3 of 13 Old 10-05-2015, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
I think if you do a search of this forum you'll find what others have done as far as renewing their sim cards.....but I don't recall any comments about missing or not missing their Google search once it expires.

Obviously you know best what you'd miss, but I use Audi Connect for one thing only: navigation! I (almost) always use the voice feature to find a location, especially if I don't have the address. The state I live in, and the adjoining states, only allow hands-free devices while in motion, so I find the voice feature indispensable.

I will renew my Audi Connection when the time comes.

(The only time I do not use the voice feature is when I'm the co-pilot/navigator....my wife hates me talking to another woman. )

2016 Q3 2.0 TFSI Quattro Prestige, Florett Silver/Black

post #4 of 13 Old 10-05-2015, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Garage
@OP : have you checked/compared the routing priorities for your car vs your phone. Sometimes you may want to use back roads as a priority instead of highways; Toll Roads vs non tolls, etc. the search and routing criteria need to be the same for a fair comparison. Nominally, they should the same or at least present some or all of the same routing options based on your preselected priorities...

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #5 of 13 Old 10-07-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnlabas View Post
@OP : have you checked/compared the routing priorities for your car vs your phone. Sometimes you may want to use back roads as a priority instead of highways; Toll Roads vs non tolls, etc. the search and routing criteria need to be the same for a fair comparison. Nominally, they should the same or at least present some or all of the same routing options based on your preselected priorities...
Thanks Roger. I've checked the settings and they are the same on both systems. My phone is always more accurate (ETA wise) and reroutes me more frequently to shave off time compared with the Audi. Traffic rerouting is active on the Audi NAV too.

I did this more out of curiosity and to help me decide between keeping connect or not than to bash the system. I still haven't decided that, but the net result of my experiment is disappointing though.

2015 AUDI Q3 PRESTIGE, 2.0TFSI QUATTRO, SPORT PACKAGE, MONSOON GRAY METALLIC/ROCK GRAY

2013 INFINITI JX35
post #6 of 13 Old 10-09-2015, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also find that Audi Connect App is quite useless. Only thing that works is to send destinations. Those features like lock/unlock doors or getting the car status shown in the App store are not even available.
There's parking info but it's not working at all with my 2016 Q3. I tried to connect my iPhone with in-car WiFi but still the parking info is not shown in the app.

And no point using in-car wifi which only provides 3G speed while my iPhone connects 4G LTE...
post #7 of 13 Old 01-11-2016, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Still in the "playing" phase of this system. I added a few destinations on the "MYAUDI" website and can retrieve them in the car, but has anyone figured out how to copy them to the MMI locally for faster retrieval. Posting them to a cloud location is convenient, but would like them local for quicker access and if I decide to not renew, then I wouldn't want to recreate all of them again.

In my situation, I don't think I would renew it even at $10/Month added to my family plan. This is my commuter car and wont be lugging my family around on long trips where playing around with the system while traveling may come in handy. In all honesty....its a toy. You can find this stuff faster on your phone which has more compute power than the MMI. As long as the maps are kept up to date, Google search ability in the car wont be much value when looking for destinations.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-11-2016, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfo View Post
Still in the "playing" phase of this system. I added a few destinations on the "MYAUDI" website and can retrieve them in the car, but has anyone figured out how to copy them to the MMI locally for faster retrieval. Posting them to a cloud location is convenient, but would like them local for quicker access and if I decide to not renew, then I wouldn't want to recreate all of them again.

In my situation, I don't think I would renew it even at $10/Month added to my family plan. This is my commuter car and wont be lugging my family around on long trips where playing around with the system while traveling may come in handy. In all honesty....its a toy. You can find this stuff faster on your phone which has more compute power than the MMI. As long as the maps are kept up to date, Google search ability in the car wont be much value when looking for destinations.
Yes, this can be done but you need to go in and save them individually....

2015 Q3, Florett Silver Metallic, Quattro with lots-o-bells & whistles
2013 A5 Cabriolet, Cuvee Silver, Quattro with lots-o-bells & whistles
post #9 of 13 Old 01-11-2016, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfo View Post

Agreed.
Mobile phone technologies & services are far outpacing what the car manufacturers can provide at the moment.

I will hand it to them, the car guys are trying to make grounds up but they are till a couple of years away from making things smoother.

But I am not renewing either the Audi connect...the way it's configured on this car 3G & send maps to your car? Very last decade.

Current Stable:
2015.VW GTI.4S in Midnight Blue+LP+MM
2016.Audi Q3 Prestige Quattro in Mythos Black+Chestnut+Aluminum+Sport Pack
post #10 of 13 Old 01-16-2016, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Speed...
I think you will find a wealth of information on the Audi Connect. Personally, I really liked Google Maps but I don't have a T Mobile account to add another data card to use in the car. I decided I'd rather have the Google Search when I need it and I just got used to using the regular maps. I went thru Truphone and set up an account. If you don't use Google Maps you can put just $20 on your account and it will last forever. Every time I use Google Search I literally use 3 cents.

As I said I wish I could justify spending the $400 up front for the renewal but I just weighed the pros and cons and this is my choice I decided on.

If you research the site you'll find much more information on Truphone as well as some other companies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page