Hardwiring dashcam - Audi Q3 Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 36 Old 10-20-2015, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Hardwiring dashcam

Hi,

I am planning to hardwire a dashcam on my Q3. Just started poking around and doing some research yesterday. I am considering to use the add-a-fuse thingy to tap into the fuse box.

But looking at the fuse box (the one behind the small storage box below the steering wheel), seems like the space is a bit tight, I am not sure if it can even fit the add-a-fuse thingy (ie the storage bin cover might not able to close).

And apparently, there are 2 different sizes of fuses being used. I think they are the standard ATO and Mini. Since the minis are probably slightly shorter in height, I think I will try to tap on the mini fuses.

Anyone has experience on hardwiring in a Q3 and would like to share some information?

Thanks,
post #2 of 36 Old 10-20-2015, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Never done this but I know there are specific forums out there on lighting, retrofit source is one of them, you might be able to pull answers from some of the lighting pros on the forum.
post #3 of 36 Old 10-20-2015, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Garage
There aren't usually problems with this, but the normal "be careful" about stacking too much current on the line you tap. Remember that the upstream wiring that you tap has to take BOTH loads not just one or the other ... current is simply cumulative unlike resistance.

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 10-20-2015, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Hi,

I am planning to hardwire a dashcam on my Q3. Just started poking around and doing some research yesterday. I am considering to use the add-a-fuse thingy to tap into the fuse box.

But looking at the fuse box (the one behind the small storage box below the steering wheel), seems like the space is a bit tight, I am not sure if it can even fit the add-a-fuse thingy (ie the storage bin cover might not able to close).

And apparently, there are 2 different sizes of fuses being used. I think they are the standard ATO and Mini. Since the minis are probably slightly shorter in height, I think I will try to tap on the mini fuses.

Anyone has experience on hardwiring in a Q3 and would like to share some information?

Thanks,
There's a great vendor in Canada that sells and ships to USA.

BlackBoxMyCar
He also had Youtube videos on how to hardwire Audis, BMWs, VWs etc. under "how to install"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 36 Old 10-20-2015, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice and info guys!

I will report back once I am done with this little project. Thanks!
post #6 of 36 Old 10-21-2015, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Garage
Please give us the details (and pics too) of your camera choice and results - many thanks !!

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #7 of 36 Old 10-21-2015, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Sure will do
post #8 of 36 Old 12-17-2015, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Finally sort of got it done last week. "Sort of" because I still haven't finalized where to mount the camera itself (as my dashcam is a bit big), but at least the circuit part (with Power Magic Pro) is done and it is working as expected.

I have taken a few pictures & notes and will post them when I have more time during the holidays. Hope it might help some of you.
post #9 of 36 Old 12-17-2015, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Finally sort of got it done last week. "Sort of" because I still haven't finalized where to mount the camera itself (as my dashcam is a bit big), but at least the circuit part (with Power Magic Pro) is done and it is working as expected.

I have taken a few pictures & notes and will post them when I have more time during the holidays. Hope it might help some of you.
That would be great since my dashcam is on its way. I purchased Blacksys CH-100B, which has a built in voltage shut-off.

It would really help me to see which fuses you tapped into and how you hid the wires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 36 Old 12-27-2015, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Finally I have a chance to write this up. I hope it can help out some members or at least speed up the installation a little bit. By no means this is the only way, and in fact it may not be the proper way even though it works for me. So use it at your own risk!

I have a Vicovation dashcam which has the parking mode feature. In general if you are interested in using the parking mode (or want to leave the dashcam on even when ignition is off) you probably want some kind of controller. I got the Power Magic Pro as the controller. There are 2 modes:

1) On and off with ignition - Controller will cut off power to the dashcam when ignition is off.

2) Always On - Controller will cut off power based on the car's battery voltage and timer (whichever comes first). This is to prevent the dashcam draining the car's battery.

Basically the controller needs to hook up 2 wires to the fuse box. One for always on, one goes with the ignition. And of course one for ground. It provides a 12V socket for connecting to the dashcam.

I also bought 2 "add a fuse" wires for tapping into the fuse box.

Instead of crimping the wires directly to the "add a fuse" wires, I hooked them up through some connectors. I thought it will be easier in the future in case I change to another controller.

Here is the ground, just below the fuse box compartment (btw, the fuse box is behind the little compartment, lower left of the steering wheel).

I was tapping to fuse #5 and #18 . #5 for the ignition wire and #18 for the always on wire. According to the manual, #5 is the left headlight and #18 is the TV Tuner. I don't think I have any TV Tuner related features at all, so I am not exactly sure, but it does sound like a non critical component to tap on.

Here are all the wires. Basically connect the ignition and always on wires to the corresponding "add a fuse" wires. The black ground wire and the white connector will be routed behind the compartment and come back out near the ground screw.

To hide the big batch of wires, I tied them up above the fuse box.

When it's all done, only the 12V socket will be left in the compartment.

The ground and the connector for the controller.

Last step is to hook up the controller. The controller is very light, I just use a double side tape and put it near the ground screw.

Once the circuit is working, it's really up to you where to mount the dashcam. Depending on the size/form factor of your dashcam, you might not have many choices. My dashcam isn't very small, I find it a bit large if mount on the windshield. For now I just mount it on the dash besides the MMI screen.

Hope it helps!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page