Rain Sensing Wipers - Audi Q3 Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 19 Old 01-19-2016, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Rain Sensing Wipers

I have never had rain sensing wipers before so am unfamiliar with how they SHOULD work. I have had read that they can be a bit unruly, not working as one would want.

Today I set them on the most sensitive setting as it was raining continuously but not heavily.

The pattern was 3 wipes with about 5-10 seconds between each, followed by around 30-45 seconds with no wiping. During the 30-45 seconds more rain would accumulate on the windshield that desirable.

Is this normal behavior? Since there's no simple intermittent setting I would like to have the rain sensing setting work better.

Or am I missing something?

John
2016 Q3 Prestige
Mythos Black w/Chestnut Brown
Sport Package
post #2 of 19 Old 01-19-2016, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Have you adjusted the sensitivity to see how that affects the things? Best way for us to help you is to see a video.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-19-2016, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Yes I've tried it from the most sensitive to the least sensitive. If the "most sensitive" setting is not sensitive enough and allows more than desired rain to collect...not sure where to go from there. I'd prefer fixed intermittent settings to this. I will see if I get another chance to try other settings to compare more closely but need the right amount of rain to do that...I don't drive that much.

John
2016 Q3 Prestige
Sport Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-19-2016, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Garage
Actually it sounds like you are already using the fixed intermittent settings - if a regular rain pattern is sensed, the "sensed" wipe will be continuous at either normal or fast setting NOT intermittent at all ...only if there is NO moisture and the stalk is set will a "sensed"wipe be intermittent -

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #5 of 19 Old 01-19-2016, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Sorry Roger but I'm not getting this.

Here's what it says in my manual: "Interval mode. To extend/shorten the wiper intervals, move the switch to the left/right. In vehicles with a rain sensor [which I believe I have with the Prestige model], the wipers turn on in the rain once the vehicle speed exceeds approximately 2 miles per hour. The higher the rain sensor sensitivity is set, the earlier the windshield wipers react to moisture on the windshield."

So I have the switch set all the way to the right, which should provide maximum rain sensitivity and it it sounds like this also provides the shortest interval. But if so, then why, when I have it to the far right setting, am I getting a pattern of 3 wipes close together, with a 30 or so second gap with no wiping action, during which rain collects on the windshield? That pattern makes no sense to me.

Thanks
John

John
2016 Q3 Prestige
Sport Package
post #6 of 19 Old 01-20-2016, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Garage
I don't believe even the longest extended interval setting (non-rain sensing) is 30 seconds, maybe more like 3-5 - but anyway, I also think the rain sensor sensitivity is the MOST sensitive when set to the right (towards the longer marks), just as is the shortest duration of the interval setting. You can tell if you have the rain sensor by a big black mount under your rearview mirror (about 3" diameter) - but I believe the Prestige models have it anyway. The MOST sensitive rain sense wipe will start when the car is moving AND there is about 5-10 drops per square inch on your windshield - or at least the sensor area. If the rain is uneven (like just one side of the windshield for example), it prolly won't work consistently. Perhaps your sensor is bad or malfunctioning - it's possible.

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #7 of 19 Old 01-20-2016, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The rain sensor is something that is not easy to explain. It uses a number of variables to determine when to wipe and when to rest.

Basically - if driving is steady rain, they will wipe constantly (provided you are driving are a constant speed). The faster the speed, the more the sensitivity is adjusted. Should you stop at an intersection, the rate of wipe will decrease or stop as a result of the wheels not turning and you not needing as much forward visibility.

One way that I learned about the reaction of the wipers was driving next to semi who splashed a large puddle onto my car. The wipers went to super fast wipe mode for 3 or 4 cycles, then returned to a slower, more regular pattern.

Hopefully this adds a little extra clarification. Rogers was more detailed.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-20-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Based on the above it sounds like I may have an issue. I'm going to run some test, once I can use the hose in the driveway...too cold to do that now.

John
2016 Q3 Prestige
Sport Package
post #9 of 19 Old 01-21-2016, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e85sbm View Post
The rain sensor is something that is not easy to explain. It uses a number of variables to determine when to wipe and when to rest.

Basically - if driving is steady rain, they will wipe constantly (provided you are driving are a constant speed). The faster the speed, the more the sensitivity is adjusted. Should you stop at an intersection, the rate of wipe will decrease or stop as a result of the wheels not turning and you not needing as much forward visibility.

One way that I learned about the reaction of the wipers was driving next to semi who splashed a large puddle onto my car. The wipers went to super fast wipe mode for 3 or 4 cycles, then returned to a slower, more regular pattern.

Hopefully this adds a little extra clarification. Rogers was more detailed.
I bet it has some sort of frequency of water droplets it adjusts for.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-21-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Perhaps - but what I don't understand is that it seemed to follow a pattern Vs simply sensing water and reacting to it. It was 3 wipes with about 10 seconds between them and then more like 30-45 seconds before another set of 3 wipes.

John
2016 Q3 Prestige
Sport Package

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page