Looking to purchase first Audi. Used Q3. Any watch outs? Issues to look for? - Audi Q3 Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 6 Old 03-12-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking to purchase first Audi. Used Q3. Any watch outs? Issues to look for?

Hello. New member here!

As the topic suggest, I am looking to purchase my very Audi. I am looking to get used 2015+ Audit Q3 in either 2WD or 4WD with about 40-50K miles. I prefer 2WD since its less complicated. I am looking put another another 100,000 miles on it. I am very technically/mechanically oriented person so I will do my own maintenance and complicated electronics does not scare me.

Are the engine & transmission same as VW Tiguan?

How is the reliability of the engine & transmission ?

Does it share anything with any VW ?

Can you run mid-grade fuel?

Thanks

Waid

Last edited by waid302; 03-12-2019 at 11:53 AM.
post #2 of 6 Old 03-13-2019, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Google search tells me the Q3 is Audi's more troublefree vehicle. Ours surely is .
post #3 of 6 Old 03-15-2019, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
The engine, transmission, all-wheel-drive system (Haldex), suspension, steering, and brakes are identical to the Gen-1 Tiguan. The shock damping, spring rates and sway bars might be somewhat different, but they are physically interchangeable.

Some of the electronics are the same (ECU, ABS/Stability Control modules), but Infotainment electronics, and some of the other body electronics (window motors, alarm, climate control) is different.

The body/chassis is similar, but the Q3 has a reinforced front structure, which results in improved small-offset crash test results. The Q3 also has an aluminum hood and tailgate, for weight savings.

The Q3 is built in Spain, the Tig Gen-1 is built in Germany. The Q3 is statistically been significantly more reliable than the Tiguan. The Q3 is actually the most reliable Audi model currently sold.

Change your engine oil and filter every 3000 to 5000 miles max. Make sure the oil you use states on the bottle, that it meets the VW 502 specification, like Mobil-1 0W-40 "European Formula" (Walmart $26 for 5 QT bottle). You should stick with the OEM filter, made by Mann or Hengst. You can buy at VW dealer or Amazon.
Mann-Filter part number = W 719/45
Hengst part number = H14W30
VW part number = 06J 115 403Q = 06J 115 561B

Change the transmission fluid and filter every 40,000 miles, there are some wear issues with the aluminum valve body bores. Make sure you use the correct ATF for this Aisin made transmission, not some "Universal Multi-Application ATF". The Ravenol T-IV synthetic ATF is especially formulated for this transmission. There are two similar pan gaskets and filters for the two similar versions of this transmission, the Q3 needs the "09M" 9 bolt gasket version, not the 8 bolt. The Meyle part number of the gasket and filter kit is 1001370005 or MHK0044 .

Also change the Bevel Box gear oil (bolted to the automatic trans), and the rear differential gear oil every 40,000 to 50,000 miles.

Change the Haldex fluid (the other part of the rear differential unit), and replace the filter (or clean the filter screen on the pump) every 30,000 miles.

I bought a used CPO 2015 Q3 with 6500 miles on it, now has 40,000 miles, zero problems. I really like this mini-ute, and am considering buying another one for the family.

Last edited by S4'ed; 03-15-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-15-2019, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
My only criticisms : The engine could use more HP (can be fixed with a Neuspeed Power Module), the rear passenger and cargo areas are a little tight (no surprise), and the bit of excessive body roll can be reduced with a rear anti-roll/sway bar.

If you can live without the Quattro version, a front-drive Q3 will be cheaper, accelerate better, and get better fuel economy, due to its lower weight.

Premium fuel is recommended, due to the turbocharging. You can use mid-grade or regular if premium is not available.

Last edited by S4'ed; 03-15-2019 at 05:34 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-11-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4'ed View Post
My only criticisms : The engine could use more HP (can be fixed with a Neuspeed Power Module), the rear passenger and cargo areas are a little tight (no surprise), and the bit of excessive body roll can be reduced with a rear anti-roll/sway bar.

If you can live without the Quattro version, a front-drive Q3 will be cheaper, accelerate better, and get better fuel economy, due to its lower weight.

Premium fuel is recommended, due to the turbocharging. You can use mid-grade or regular if premium is not available.
you might not be saving money with the less octane fuel as the consumption will go up as the ECU compensates for the reduction in the fuel quality.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-11-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4'ed View Post
The engine, transmission, all-wheel-drive system (Haldex), suspension, steering, and brakes are identical to the Gen-1 Tiguan. The shock damping, spring rates and sway bars might be somewhat different, but they are physically interchangeable.

Some of the electronics are the same (ECU, ABS/Stability Control modules), but Infotainment electronics, and some of the other body electronics (window motors, alarm, climate control) is different.

The body/chassis is similar, but the Q3 has a reinforced front structure, which results in improved small-offset crash test results. The Q3 also has an aluminum hood and tailgate, for weight savings.

The Q3 is built in Spain, the Tig Gen-1 is built in Germany. The Q3 is statistically been significantly more reliable than the Tiguan. The Q3 is actually the most reliable Audi model currently sold.

Change your engine oil and filter every 3000 to 5000 miles max. Make sure the oil you use states on the bottle, that it meets the VW 502 specification, like Mobil-1 0W-40 "European Formula" (Walmart $26 for 5 QT bottle). You should stick with the OEM filter, made by Mann or Hengst. You can buy at VW dealer or Amazon.
Mann-Filter part number = W 719/45
Hengst part number = H14W30
VW part number = 06J 115 403Q = 06J 115 561B

Change the transmission fluid and filter every 40,000 miles, there are some wear issues with the aluminum valve body bores. Make sure you use the correct ATF for this Aisin made transmission, not some "Universal Multi-Application ATF". The Ravenol T-IV synthetic ATF is especially formulated for this transmission. There are two similar pan gaskets and filters for the two similar versions of this transmission, the Q3 needs the "09M" 9 bolt gasket version, not the 8 bolt. The Meyle part number of the gasket and filter kit is 1001370005 or MHK0044 .

Also change the Bevel Box gear oil (bolted to the automatic trans), and the rear differential gear oil every 40,000 to 50,000 miles.

Change the Haldex fluid (the other part of the rear differential unit), and replace the filter (or clean the filter screen on the pump) every 30,000 miles.

I bought a used CPO 2015 Q3 with 6500 miles on it, now has 40,000 miles, zero problems. I really like this mini-ute, and am considering buying another one for the family.
Thanks for the thorough post. My wife just bought a CPO 2016 and she loves it. I am planning on 3000 mi oil changes as it is a turbo 2.0.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in