Door locks with key inside? - Page 2 - Audi Q3 Forum
User Tag List

post #11 of 25 Old 06-14-2017, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have experienced electrical problems with my 2016 Q3 - parking brake engaged on its own when I was backing up. I could not release it and the dash was reporting a malfunction that needed dealer assistance. Shutting off the car, waiting 5 minutes did not do anything. I called the dealer and they had me put my foot on the brake, then hold the emergency brake button for 10 seconds then release both. That reset it so I could drive it. The dealer did a software update to fix the problem. Now I have experienced the auto locking others have reported. I had unlocked the car by touching the front hande, opened the back door, then I put my purse etc. in the back seat. I closed the back door and the car locked. I never pressed any lock button. 3 hours later with the second fob in hand, I unlocked the car and all my electronics were reset. The climate control was off, AC was off - things like that. I am bringing it in for another software update. This is a glitch, not human error. Current workaround - always leave one door open until you are inside the car. P.S. The battery was changed 3 months ago.
post #12 of 25 Old 06-15-2017, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum - hope you come back too -

I think what happened in your case is also a 'feature' but not sure if the way you did it would or could be considered as such. Here's what I think. When you unlock the car, it is imagining that you will shortly open the driver door first - as most folks normally would. If you have the car set in the driver door mode, the rest of the doors remain locked. And you would normally have to unlock them with a second open command, either from the fob, or the inside door unlock button. A second swipe of the door handle will re-lock the car. Now, once the driver door is unlocked, you have about 20-30 seconds to open THAT door. If you fail to do this, the car will re-lock itself to protect itself from an unintended or delayed by other circumstance (car jacker interrupting you for example) unlocking. So, if you have the car set to open all doors when you unlock it, and STILL do not open the driver door first, whilst opening a rear door within that 20-30 sec time, it is possible to re-lock by itself. I don't think a software update will fix this - as it will be recoded to behave the same way. Now when you do what I just described, your key NOW in the back seat, may be outside the recognized zone and could be subject to being ignored - ALTHOUGH I do NOT think this is normally possible.

Lastly, while not normal (meaning the dealer is not likely to help you with this) I think that the re-lock delay timing can be either adjusted or bypassed, but not within the MMI system, rather thru external (e.g. VCDS) coding. Meanwhile, I'd leave the car set to unlock ONLY the driver door (you can do this in MMI) so that in order to unlock the others, you'd almost always have to open the driver door (satisfying that delay interrupt) and using the unlock button on the inside of the door. btw, I believe the second fob push to unlock the rest of the doors also satisfies the delay interrupt...

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #13 of 25 Old 06-23-2017, 10:21 AM

I understand your logic but I have had the car for 2 years and do the same thing 5 days a week and it never happened before. I have had the back door open for minutes before I close it and open the front door without issue. This day it was in the seconds category. Also, a few days later, I parked my car, took my purse and left the car through the driver door. I left the car not locking it as my husband was in it and as I was at the door of the store - about 30 seconds later, the car locked itself. I had the key with me. The button was not pushed.
When I first got the car, I left the key in my golf bag in the way back and the door would not lock - as expected. That does not work anymore. I can lock the key in the car. Again new batter in the fob and I tried it with both fobs at different times. I do think in my case it is a glitch. Dealer did say there have been issues with the Q3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 Old 06-27-2017, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Garage
Your keys will likely need to be re-coded to the car. When the voltage to the Instruments module goes below (IIRC 11 volts -which is NOT that low) this has been know to happen. The dealer can fix and if under warranty -no issue. Then just be careful as battery ages (and unfortunately is individual to the battery) watch carefully. The dealer can scan for low-voltage events and give you a periodic heads-up ...

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #15 of 25 Old 04-20-2018, 08:39 PM

Same here. Dealer could not replicate but changed battery to be safe and problem has been resolved.
**Change your battery every TWO years if used multiple times daily.
post #16 of 25 Old 05-15-2018, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am sorry you experience this. I don't believe you can lock the car with the fob inside as you describe
post #17 of 25 Old 05-17-2018, 03:25 AM

Nice Post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 25 Old 06-26-2018, 10:39 AM

The string technique just chips away at autos that have post-style entryway locks. Besides, it just chips away at post entryway bolts that have a little handle at the best that will enable a bunch to hold them. On the off chance that this is your auto and you are very brave, you're in good fortune. Thanks a lot.
post #19 of 25 Old 07-11-2018, 06:24 AM

I have had my 2015 Audi Q7 lock on me 2x now. If you do not open the driver door and inadvertently throw your purse with key OR shopping bag with key into the back seat or hatch, the car automatically locks. There is no way to adjust this on the MMI. Most days I wear my key around my neck so this won't happen. My husband is furious and demands I buy a new car. If you find yourself in this situation, DO NOT CALL AUDI - they spend an inordinate amount of time verifying that you are the owner and then send a bozo who fiddles with the mechanics within the door and window. Call a regular locksmith and TELL them use two bladders to pop open the door and a wire to manual unlock the door. Many locksmiths will say they don't have the right tool - that is BS. This is a major design flaw PLUS unbelievably AUDI CANNOT UNLOCK IT REMOTELY.
post #20 of 25 Old 07-25-2018, 03:07 PM

I've had my Q7 for maybe 6 months, the doors have locked with keys in the car THREE times!! When I've tried to lock the doors (at home) with the keys inside it won't lock, it only happens when I'm out and about....it's very frustrating. The locksmith who came to open the car said it happens ALL the time with Audi's. He said the only one worse is a Toyota.

With the price of these vehicles this shouldn't be a common event. Going in to dealership tomorrow to have it checked out !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page