Audi Q3 Forum banner

Front Grille Upgrade/Removal - anybody done it yet?

67K views 66 replies 15 participants last post by  maxislim 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone's looked into/removed their front grille yet. I've got an RS Q3 grille incoming for the fiance's Q3, and was just wondering if there are any hidden screws or tips anyone knows about. The part just cleared customs in NY today, so hopefully it'll be here soon! If nobody has done so already, I'll be sure to create a well documented DIY thread for everyone :)

Reactions: Arabay
#6 ·
Nice - looking forward to pics and play by play - btw, how much did the bad boy grill cost ?
Did you get the RSQ front bumper surround as well? I'm looking for that or just the S-Line version too...

#13 · (Edited)
#14 ·
Having had a quick look at photos, not very scientific I know, I think the RSQ3/SE grille is shorter in height than the S-Line grille.

I think this is also apparent in the trim UNDER the grill, in the S-Line it is much shorter in height than the SE/RSQ3 (Indeed the RSQ3 has the word QUATTRO written under the grille, demonstrating the height).

As said, I'm happy to be proven wrong... Indeed I would like the RSQ3 grille on my S-Line Plus :)

#15 ·
If the RSQ grille won't fit an S-line, then I'd find it hard to imagine/believe it would fit the "regular" bumper cover either. We in the US don't have an "SE" so I have no idea what that means. From the Audi EKTA, I can see 4 bumper covers : one for the regular line, one for the S-line, one for the India/China regular line, and the RS. For the first three, the grills seem to be the same size and have all the same mounting points. The RS has them in the same places as well, but the RS bumper cover is deeper - like on the RS7 to allow for that enlarged lower vent where they optionally place the "quattro" badge. It's not clear from the illustrations - they're drawings - about the grill itself size, even if the mounting points are the same. So it's conceiveable to me that the grill itself, mounting points notwithstanding could be shorter in height - but reviewing the other bumper covers, leads me to think it (the RS grill) won't fit ANY other cover than the RS.

The other thing I notice from the link above for an RSQ3 grill for $399 - is it is NOT an Audi part at all, but rather a duplicated (counterfeit) piece from China. This is quite common actually and extends to MANY Audi parts - even window regulators, motors etc. So, in their 'creativeness', the manufacturers could've actually resized this part to fit the normal bumper covers - then why it doesn't fit the S-line one is a mystery ...

Since CortinaQ3 has one and by now may have tried to install it, I'm kinda anxious to see what he's found out and if successful ... Hope so to see pics of before/after and during -

#18 ·
Sorry for the long absence guys! Between work & planning for a wedding, things have been rather crazy lately... I do indeed finally have the grille, but ran into a bit of a roadblock once I got to the wheel arch trim. I have no clue how to get it separated from the front bumper to take the bumper off, and if I accidentally break something on the fiance's brand new car, well... my life may be over. Anyone have any ideas on how the trim is held on? If it's some sort of adhesive, I may *sigh* break down and see if the dealership will do the install for me. They're an excellent dealership & I've already made friends there that liked my personal car & hooked my fiance up because of that, so maybe they'll do me another solid. fingers crossed!!!

oh, and just from lining up the grilles together, they seem the same size, so that should be fine :) the one we got was the RS Q3 style one with the black surround (as opposed to the matte silver or chrome).

#17 ·
@CoCoPops - could you measure the height of your S-Line grill, please. I'll check the regular one and compare. I challenged one of the RSQ3 grill suppliers on their statement and they just said "as we know," then they followed up a day later with, "it DOES fit S-Line and Sport cars." So now, I m a bit more definitively curious.

I'm also holding my breath for CortinaQ3 to publish his swap for us. If the grills do in fact interchange, which I believe they should, then we could all have grill swapping parties reminiscent of what I'd done with my B8. Btw, I saw also on eBay the lower vent grill with the word "quattro" on it as in the RS too. It was $199 though ...prolly cheaper than Audi.

#19 ·
Hey thanks for the update - don't risk your life. We mostly know from where this comes - I'll have the same concerns, which is one reason I really appreciate pioneers like yourself (you know, the ones with arrows often in their backs - hah!).

Please take pics of the install, whether yourself or at the dealer, so we can see. And good luck with the wedding too -

#22 ·
It looks like you prise the arch away from the bumper, the clips are perpendicular to the join.
I'd use plastic trim tools to split them apart rather than metal tools to avoid marking.

#24 ·
Grills are just for looks.

Hi,

You are right that all grills fit all bumpers, but the main concern is that it should improve the looks. Generally if you dont find compatible grills with bumpers, then you might see some space in between.

I did faced the problem with my Dodge truck initially. But later on, I fixed the issue with the right grill.

BTW, I am planning to customize my Dodge truck to look a bit fancy. Any suggestions ?

#25 ·
Hi,

You are right that all grills fit all bumpers, but the main concern is that it should improve the looks. Generally if you dont find compatible grills with bumpers, then you might see some space in between.

I did faced the problem with my Dodge truck initially. But later on, I fixed the issue with the right grill.

BTW, I am planning to customize my Dodge truck to look a bit fancy. Any suggestions ?
I've seen some nice two tone paint jobs that use vinyl on ram trucks. I think the more subtle variety looks better.

#26 ·
okay guys, I finally did it. 3 people and 5 hours of struggling later and we have success! I haven't written anything up on the process, but I'll be glad to help out any others with anything should you need it. now for a couple pics.

#33 ·
I can't tell if that looks easy or difficult to do. I'm pretty afraid of taking apart my vehicle to that degree. I'm afraid I'd mess something up putting it back together and the whole front of my car would come off while driving or something. LOL. I do like the grille change though. Good for you for figuring out how to do it properly.

#30 ·
haha thanks! I put this off long enough, I had to bite the bullet and just get it done no matter what. my fiancé's bday is today so I wanted to get it done since this is her car and all lol.

Looks great...so much nicer than the stock one.... you doing outside installs too??? :) I'll be right down... I'd never have that much patience to do that myself....

Where are you going to put the license plate on the front?

hahaha come on down! now that I've done it once I can do it again ;) just bring some good beer/buy me lunch afterwards!

I don't plan on putting the front plate back on lol. Here in MD they passed a new law that if your car did not come equipped with a mounting bracket or if it requires stylistic changes to mount one (which it now does lol), you don't need to mount it. just have it in the trunk for now.

#28 ·
Audi really didn't make it an easy job lol. I was spoiled by my first car, a VW Jetta whose front bumper was held on by 6 screws & took 5 minutes to completely remove. I removed probably 50 screws from this car in the process lol. And the fender trim pieces were really nerve-wracking because I was constantly afraid I'd break it off. Miraculously I broke nothing and everything fit fine! I was astonished (and extremely relieved) considering this is a "knock-off" part.

#31 ·
Daughter and son in law live down there...buying a condo in Gaithersburg this month....I may take you up on that soon...Gotta get my son and his car crazy Yuppy Racing buddies to help me install the MMI screen fix when I get the overseas parts then I can think about other stuff... Wish my husband was handy...Unfortunately I'm the handy one in the house...

#34 ·
It's not so bad really, just taking care is the most significant part - and btw, you don't need to take out the headlights - I didn't...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.