HID Fog lamps? - Audi Q3 Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

post #1 of 24 Old 05-19-2015, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
HID Fog lamps?

Hello guys, I just ordered some HID fog lamps for my A5. If they turn out as good as I hope, I was thinking about getting some for the Q3 also. (Unless it voids the warranty, then I won't...)

Have you guys done it to yours?
Yes? No? and why?

I'm just trying to pick your brains a little...

I don't really care for the HIDs; I'd just like to have the fog lights match the headlight, or something close to it.

Last edited by ehechter; 05-19-2015 at 09:49 AM.
post #2 of 24 Old 05-19-2015, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I personally haven't done this, but I think I can safely say that it won't void your warranty (unless something gets wired up incorrectly and it ends up frying some other electronics in the car, which I HIGHLY doubt would happen lol). In my old GTI I installed an LED fog light kit which I loved. It was a lot brighter and matched the OEM xenon lights almost perfectly. Also (supposedly) lasts longer than HID's, but I didn't have the car long enough to test that lol.

TL;DR version: if that's something you wanna do, go for it! it most likely won't hurt anything.

2015 Cortina White Audi Q3 (Wifey's)
2008 Phantom Black Pearl Audi S4 (Mine
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #3 of 24 Old 05-19-2015, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortinaQ3 View Post
I personally haven't done this, but I think I can safely say that it won't void your warranty (unless something gets wired up incorrectly and it ends up frying some other electronics in the car, which I HIGHLY doubt would happen lol). In my old GTI I installed an LED fog light kit which I loved. It was a lot brighter and matched the OEM xenon lights almost perfectly. Also (supposedly) lasts longer than HID's, but I didn't have the car long enough to test that lol.

TL;DR version: if that's something you wanna do, go for it! it most likely won't hurt anything.
Nice!
It's been a while since I've done any bulb replacements/upgrades and I just stumbled upon some LED "bulbs" (if you will) from PIAA like you mentioned... It definitely caught my attention.

I personally like when the fog and headlight match.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 05-19-2015, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehechter View Post
Hello guys, I just ordered some HID fog lamps for my A5. If they turn out as good as I hope, I was thinking about getting some for the Q3 also. (Unless it voids the warranty, then I won't...)

Have you guys done it to yours?
Yes? No? and why?

I'm just trying to pick your brains a little...

I don't really care for the HIDs; I'd just like to have the fog lights match the headlight, or something close to it.
You really mean "HID look" right? Not real HID fog lamps, that'd be kinda useless, as fogs making too much light (or being too bright) merely reflect light off the fog rather than illuminate beneath it. I have some Hoen HID match on my S5 and while they do match the HID headlights nicely, they're all but useless as real fog lights. Guess it's up to you what you want.

If you like running the fogs all the time and have them match your headlights, that's cool, but don't expect them to be of much value in real fog. If you want real fog lights though, go for some yellow ones like PIAA Ion-chrome yellow, they WORK for fog but are far from matching your headlights...
Ohio Joe and Tanqueray like this.

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #5 of 24 Old 05-20-2015, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
First of all, it will not void your warranty, unless your installed aftermarket parts "cause" an OEM parts to malfunction or break down entirely. I personally wouldn't go beyond aftermarket HID kits, changing to LED bulbs, spring&shock, intakes etc. on still-warranty vehicles. I would even be scared to install new exhausts since a lot of exhaust upgrades require cutting.

I agree with you that matching lights are nice and you can do whatever you want. Like Roger said, brighter fog lights mean less light penetrating the fog. Also, I can't help but wonder, Am I the only one that gets distracted by oncoming vehicles's bright white/blue/yellow fog lights that are shining the pavement? Brighter the fog lights are, more the light is hitting the pavement directly and reflected to the oncoming drivers.

I just hope I don't sound like a picky prick saying this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 24 Old 05-20-2015, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Same here, I wouldn't want to mess with anything that would void or at the very least gives the dealership a "reason" to void the warranty. The road surface temperature here is always hot, making almost impossible for fog formation. I have yet to try some yellow fog lights on a foggy day to see what all the fuss is about. My fog lights are as useless as an ash tray on a motorcycle, or as Roger's Hoen HID match on his S5.
post #7 of 24 Old 05-20-2015, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehechter View Post
I have yet to try some yellow fog lights on a foggy day to see what all the fuss is about. My fog lights are as useless as an ash tray on a motorcycle, or as Roger's Hoen HID match on his S5.
Since fog lights are not used as intended where you live, I suggest trying LED bulbs like Cortina said. At least they won't be as intensely bright as HID kits so close to the ground.

post #8 of 24 Old 05-20-2015, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Just so you're aware, the higher temp non-HID lamps are, the LESS light they put out. So the whiter HID-look lamps actually put out less light (lumens or flux) than their 'warmer' siblings ...

and while the yellow ones CAN put out more light, they don't build them that way just for the obvious reasons to use in fog anyway -

- Roger

post #9 of 24 Old 05-20-2015, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Also to note, when it comes to yellow colored lights, depending on where you live, cops might bother you for it. Especially as the month comes to an end, that's when cops really keep their eyes open

post #10 of 24 Old 05-20-2015, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatto View Post
Also to note, when it comes to yellow colored lights, depending on where you live, cops might bother you for it. Especially as the month comes to an end, that's when cops really keep their eyes open
I have NEVER even heard of cops bothering anybody for yellow fogs, since the very first ones were yellow. I've heard of hassled folks for colored headlights and blacked-out tailights, but not fogs...what kind of weird cops you got? They must be bored silly.

- Roger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page