User Tag List

23Likes

post #11 of 69 Old 04-24-2015, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4guy View Post
It actually depends on the dampers and the spring rates and styles (progressive vs linear). I have my stock DRC shocks coupled with H&R sport springs on my RS4, the ride is stiffer, but has much improved handling and chassis dynamics.

For the Q3 I would just do some Koni or bilstien shocks and springs, C/O's are overkill for a daily driven SUV...
Agree.

All i'd really want from an improved Q3 suspension is to have it a bit stiffer and slightly lower.

Rather have coilovers in a sedan or coupe

post #12 of 69 Old 04-25-2015, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Or ParteX the Q3 for an A3.........

177 SE S-Tronic, Pistachio Nappa, Tech Pack, Luggage, Load, 18" 5xTwins, Hot Seats, Bright Bendy Lights, Wobbly Mirrors, LazyBoy Rear Hatch, yadda yadda yadda.....I'll think of more later, Oh yes, and now soft sticky tyres for winter.
post #13 of 69 Old 04-26-2015, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4guy View Post
It actually depends on the dampers and the spring rates and styles (progressive vs linear). I have my stock DRC shocks coupled with H&R sport springs on my RS4, the ride is stiffer, but has much improved handling and chassis dynamics.

For the Q3 I would just do some Koni or bilstien shocks and springs, C/O's are overkill for a daily driven SUV...
Could you recommend me a set of koni or bilstein shocks for Q3? I was looking at the vendor's list of coilovers and they had a brand called AP coilover. What do you think about these?

I was also thinking about ST coilovers.

KW seems too expansive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 69 Old 04-27-2015, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
I would just check out their sites and see if they have any applications for our vehicle, I'm sure they do in some capacity, as Europe has had this platform for some time now.

15' Monsoon grey/blk Q3 prestige w/homelink (stock)

08' (matte)Daytona grey RS4 Ti (many mods)
post #15 of 69 Old 05-22-2015, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Now that my wheels are ordered and on its way to the dealers, I can't decide which coilover kit I should go with.

1) ST
2) AP

I read that both ST and AP are products of KW company in Germany. I did some google searches on other vehicle forums and they claim that AP is the most basic coilover kit with basic material inside the shocks. ST seems it's something in between AP and KW.

Now, the price difference is almost $400 between AP and ST...

I don't mind the fact that ST can go lower than AP because I'm not going to lower the car more than 35mm (why am I doing coilovers then, you may ask... I want the option of raising the car up to stock level)

As for stiffness, forums suggest AP is much stiffer than KW, no info on ST vs AP stiffness.

What would you guys do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 69 Old 05-22-2015, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry, but if I invested in this kind of setup, I'd go straight to the KW ... My impression is the cheapest is just that - the cheapest to get there - a lowered car/look. That means lower-than-OEM quality (ride/handling) and certainly life expectancy. If you want to get something similar to what Audi has delivered in terms of quality, AND you want the look-ride-handling, you gotta pay for it...It's NOT just extra margin for KW. Believe me, I've been thru at least 30 sets over the years, and I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly of cheap.
Ohio Joe and Tanqueray like this.

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #17 of 69 Old 05-22-2015, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnlabas View Post
Sorry, but if I invested in this kind of setup, I'd go straight to the KW ... My impression is the cheapest is just that - the cheapest to get there - a lowered car/look. That means lower-than-OEM quality (ride/handling) and certainly life expectancy. If you want to get something similar to what Audi has delivered in terms of quality, AND you want the look-ride-handling, you gotta pay for it...It's NOT just extra margin for KW. Believe me, I've been thru at least 30 sets over the years, and I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly of cheap.
I agree with this. Though I've heard good things about ST coilovers for other VAG vehicles, so you might not regret the purchase if you went that route. I know from experience that you want to save up and get suspension right the first time. I started with just H&R springs paired with stock shocks on my old GTI. Sure, it only cost me $100 installed because they were used and from a friend, but it made the car ride like crap. I then saved up for a year and went full Airlift Performance air-ride lol. Moral of the story is that there's really no rush to modifying your car. Decide what's more worth it to you: Going the cheap route to look good now, and potentially disliking the way your new car rides? Or waiting and saving up for a quality/proven product, and loving both the way your car looks AND drives. I'm really antsy with wanting to modify my cars, but I've learned the hard way that it's better to wait and save for quality products.
Tanqueray likes this.

2015 Cortina White Audi Q3 (Wifey's)
2008 Phantom Black Pearl Audi S4 (Mine
)
post #18 of 69 Old 05-22-2015, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Straight to KW it is then! I was just asking for an excuse to spend extra $300 for KW
rnlabas and CortinaQ3 like this.

post #19 of 69 Old 05-22-2015, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Anyone know if Tein makes or is going to make suspension for the Audi Q3?? I do like this brand a lot and wondering if they do make suspension for this type of car.
post #20 of 69 Old 05-22-2015, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
RS3, definitely

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page