post #11 of 17 Old 07-16-2015, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortinaQ3 View Post

Side note: why are the service intervals for the Q3 every 5k miles? The service intervals for my GTI were every 10k miles... Seems like we're just throwing away good oil on these cars every 5k miles!
These kind of drain intervals were mandated by the US DOT to save money - figuring most folks would sell or trade their cars soon enough (2-3 yrs) for 'any' issues to show up later or for the next poor guy. Manufacturers don't like the mandated drain intervals and have been redesigning additive packages to accommodate them - hence the every rigorous VAG approvals for oils.

I change my EXPENSIVE oil every 3-5K or once a year based NOT on recommended drain intervals, but TBN (Total Base Number) which is an indicator of how much add pack is still left to aid cooling, rust inhibition, friction resistance and dissolved solids retention. I consider the oil change and analyses (Blackstone btw) to be CHEAP assurance that my engine is maintained as best it can be for as long as I have it - and the next guy too.

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
post #12 of 17 Old 07-16-2015, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
Recommended Service intervals for the Q3 is every 10K. Except for the 1st one, which is 5k. However some people prefer to do the every 5k

Juan
2015 Q3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO PRESTIGE, SPORT PACKAGE, 19" OFFROAD WHEELS, MONSOON GREY METALLIC/BLACK INTERIOR.
2012 VOLKSWAGEN TIGUAN 2.0TSI SE, PREMIUM AUDIO, CANDY WHITE/BEIGE INTERIOR.
2008 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA 2.5 SE, PREMIUM AUDIO, MOONROOF, STANDARD TRANSMISSION, GRAPHITE BLUE/BLACK INTERIOR.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-16-2015, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
I always follow what the manual says. Oil changes, what octane fuel to use, etc... Don't really understand deviating from that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 Old 07-21-2015, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Talking Cars with Consumer Reports #73: Cars That Burn Too Much Oil

Here is todays Talking Cars with Consumer Reports #73 : Cars That Burn Too Much Oil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aExFfzabBtA
post #15 of 17 Old 11-01-2016, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
I know this is an old topic but I wondered if anyone has had oil loss in between oil changes? I used the dip stick to see if I was leaking oil (Possible spot on the driveway) and it was down a quart. It's been 8000 since my last oil change. I don't normally go this long but I lost track this time.

Dealership says it's "normal" for the car to lose a bit of oil. Is a quart a bit of oil though? I know the older Audis had a lawsuit again Audi but their cars were loosing quarts in between oil changes.

Any thoughts???
post #16 of 17 Old 11-02-2016, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMILL View Post
I know this is an old topic but I wondered if anyone has had oil loss in between oil changes? I used the dip stick to see if I was leaking oil (Possible spot on the driveway) and it was down a quart. It's been 8000 since my last oil change. I don't normally go this long but I lost track this time.

Dealership says it's "normal" for the car to lose a bit of oil. Is a quart a bit of oil though? I know the older Audis had a lawsuit again Audi but their cars were loosing quarts in between oil changes.

Any thoughts???
Normal.

My GTI lost almost 1/2 of its oil during an esp. long OCI.

Esp. if you see no leakage - this episode just reminds you to monitor it more consistently.

Current Stable:
2015.VW GTI.4S in Midnight Blue+LP+MM
2016.Audi Q3 Prestige Quattro in Mythos Black+Chestnut+Aluminum+Sport Pack
post #17 of 17 Old 11-05-2016, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMILL View Post

Any thoughts???
While I agree that some consumption is normal, many don't agree on "what" that is. In my experience, ALL German cars 'use' oil to about 1 litre (or quart) about every 7-10K Km - or 5-6K miles. Much more than that would likely signify either a leak or excessive consumption...
buddha likes this.

- Roger

2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page