2016 Q3 vs 2016 X1 - Audi Q3 Forum
User Tag List

 7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 06-03-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
2016 Q3 vs 2016 X1

I am in the market for a new car, and I had my mind set on a 2016 Q3 Prestige until today when BMW announced their new X1... Now I am not quite sure anymore...

Looks like in the US we won't even get the 220hp with DSG that other parts of the world get, so Q3's performance and gas mileage continue to be mediocre..

Can 2016 Q3 still remain competitive against the 2016 X1?

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...ew-2016-bmw-x1
peteydog is offline  
post #2 of 20 Old 06-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteydog View Post
Can 2016 Q3 still remain competitive against the 2016 X1?
Doesn't appear so.

__________________

2015 S3 Monsoon Gray/Black Prestige, 19" Performance Package
2015 Q3 Mythos Black/Chestnut Premium Plus, Nav, Driver Assistance, Power Tailgate
j_vincent is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 06-03-2015, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator
 
rnlabas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Greenville, SC - USA
Posts: 2,484
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteydog View Post
I am in the market for a new car, and I had my mind set on a 2016 Q3 Prestige until today when BMW announced their new X1... Now I am not quite sure anymore...

Looks like in the US we won't even get the 220hp with DSG that other parts of the world get, so Q3's performance and gas mileage continue to be mediocre..

Can 2016 Q3 still remain competitive against the 2016 X1?

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...ew-2016-bmw-x1
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_vincent View Post
Doesn't appear so.

I respectfully disagree with both y'all - just go DRIVE an X1 compared with a Q3 before you compound others' opinions - it's a no-brainer to me at least ... and while the Q3 is no dragster, I'd hardly call it mediocre either. I just returned from a drive to the Blue Ridge parkway (Pisgah Inn) and on a side road (the twisty bit of NC151) for a few miles was between 2 RS5s - one (behind an R8) couldn't shake me and the other spent most of my rearview mirror time out of sight. When we pulled into a turnaround, the lead RS5 yielded to me, and now both of them spent my rearview mirror time outta sight. I must admit though that the R8 enjoyed the same for me for a good bit of the next few miles too - dammit...
vestergirl likes this.


- Roger
_______________________________________


2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
rnlabas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 Old 06-04-2015, 12:10 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
IMO, the new X1 looks gorgeous. Best proportioned SUV in the BMW lineup. Those seats are wonderful looking and it should have proper space for people and things (transverse/FWD platform). Whether it will be a performer won't be known for some time, but the specs are all promising. Not feeling any regret, but lusting a little in my heart.

Back to reality, it'll probably have that clunky start/stop, run flat tires, sketchy reliability, and an options list that doubles the list price. Never got to the test drive stage with the X1 because the styling, inside and out, are not to our liking. Can't comment on that aspect.

__________________

2015 S3 Monsoon Gray/Black Prestige, 19" Performance Package
2015 Q3 Mythos Black/Chestnut Premium Plus, Nav, Driver Assistance, Power Tailgate
j_vincent is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 06-04-2015, 11:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Otto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)




Well it does look quite nice, but so does the Q3. I imagine that the Q3 will give you more standard than the X1 will. So you can factor that into the price and buying decision. They definitely are going to have a tough battle against each other.



Otto is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 06-04-2015, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I appreciate all the input! I am a big fan of Audi but now am very torn between these 2 cars. I will definitely test drive and look at the details of both cars to get a feel for them, which is the fun part of car shopping.

I may be in the minority, but I prefer the look of the face-lifted (and even the original) Q3 over the X1. I love the understated and clean look of the Q3 compared to the extroverted look of the X1. Audi's clean interior is still on the top of my favorite list. As far as the price goes, BMW used to be more expensive compared to similarly-equipped Q3; however, by switching to the new front-wheel-drive platform (cheaper production), the 2016 X1 now offers more standard equipments for starting around $33,000. I am now very interested to price out a X1 that is similarly equipped to a 2016 Q3 Prestige but have a feeling that the price difference is not going to be as large as it was for 2015 models especially given that the price of 2016 Q3 Prestige is now over US$42,000 with sport package (over $2000 increase over 2015 Q3) while still lacking some expected standard equipments for a luxury car, such as driver memory seat and USB connection, not to mention that X1 is for sure to beat Q3 on the gas mileage (2016 Q3 quattro: 20/28/23). Maybe now Audi dealers will be more willing to make a deal given X1 having its target directly aiming at Q3, which would definitely help make my purchase decision easier.

It will definitely be a pretty tough decision for me to make when it's time to make the purchase. I know I am going to love the drive of Q3 and am very anxious now to do a head-to-head comparison of these 2 cars this fall.
Quatto likes this.

Last edited by peteydog; 06-04-2015 at 01:01 PM.
peteydog is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 06-04-2015, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What... According to Motor Trend, "A rear-view camera remains an option; along with Park Distance Control, it's available in a Driver Assistance package."

BMW sucks!

peteydog is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 06-04-2015, 02:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 916
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteydog View Post
I appreciate all the input! I am a big fan of Audi but now am very torn between these 2 cars. I will definitely test drive and look at the details of both cars to get a feel for them, which is the fun part of car shopping.

I may be in the minority, but I prefer the look of the face-lifted (and even the original) Q3 over the X1. I love the understated and clean look of the Q3 compared to the extroverted look of the X1. Audi's clean interior is still on the top of my favorite list. As far as the price goes, BMW used to be more expensive compared to similarly-equipped Q3; however, by switching to the new front-wheel-drive platform (cheaper production), the 2016 X1 now offers more standard equipments for starting around $33,000. I am now very interested to price out a X1 that is similarly equipped to a 2016 Q3 Prestige but have a feeling that the price difference is not going to be as large as it was for 2015 models especially given that the price of 2016 Q3 Prestige is now over US$42,000 with sport package (over $2000 increase over 2015 Q3) while still lacking some expected standard equipments for a luxury car, such as driver memory seat and USB connection, not to mention that X1 is for sure to beat Q3 on the gas mileage (2016 Q3 quattro: 20/28/23). Maybe now Audi dealers will be more willing to make a deal given X1 having its target directly aiming at Q3, which would definitely help make my purchase decision easier.

It will definitely be a pretty tough decision for me to make when it's time to make the purchase. I know I am going to love the drive of Q3 and am very anxious now to do a head-to-head comparison of these 2 cars this fall.
Looking forward to seeing that comparison as hearing it from someone aside from an automotive journalists, you tend to get different feedback, sometimes better feedback, more relateable feedback.



Quatto is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 07-13-2015, 09:53 AM
Senior Member
 
vestergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mariemont, OH
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Garage
Funny story - so last week I was feeling impatient and annoyed at the Audi process and stopped by a BMW dealer. Was up front with them, that I have a Q3 on order (BMW eye roll) but I want to compare the X1, especially in light of the Q3 redesign and (lack of) availability. [Hint: I didn't know about the X1 redesign.] Boy did I feel stupid when the guy told me it's the EXACT same situation at BMW - no X1 2015s left, 2016 being redesigned and not available until fall. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone.

They had ONE X1 in stock. Top of the line, he said, loaded and ready to go. On the outside - beautiful. I do really like the BMW front end; it's classy. Panoramic sunroof, just like the Q3 - nice. But the rest of the interior - NO THANK YOU. Anytime I've ridden in a BMW, I've had the same response...the seats are HARD, not comfortable. And this interior had hideous baby-poop color seating, with black on black on black everything else.

This is one thing I LOVE about the Q3 - and Audi in general - there is variety in the color choices on the interior. I love how the dash (with gray interior choice) is two-tone, black and gray. I love the aluminum accents, NOT wood. I love the ambient lighting.

I only drove the X1 for 10 minutes - that's all I needed. I don't think it compares at ALL to the comfort, luxury-feel, and ease of use of the Q3. The shifter in the X1 is also very odd; I would hate to have to use that every day. The only BMW thing I wish Audi would pick up is the heated steering wheel. Other than that - NOT.
rnlabas, Ohio Joe and serenity like this.
vestergirl is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 07-13-2015, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
 
rnlabas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Greenville, SC - USA
Posts: 2,484
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestergirl View Post
Funny story - ... it's the EXACT same situation at BMW - no X1 2015s left, 2016 being redesigned and not available until fall. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone...
...told you so
Ohio Joe and vestergirl like this.


- Roger
_______________________________________


2014 R8 V10+ 6MT, Daytona Gray Pearl/Black w/Diamond Stitching
2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
2016 TTS, Nano/Express Red
rnlabas is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Audi Q3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 Q3 Redesign MPBQ3 Audi Q3 Photos and Videos 16 09-09-2015 11:37 PM
2016 Order Guide BobInPa Q3 Dealers, Purchases, and Orders 14 09-05-2015 10:12 AM
2016 Q3 Pricing Miyata Q3 Dealers, Purchases, and Orders 4 06-04-2015 01:29 PM
2016 Review by Autotrader.ca boblepp Audi Q3 Reviews 1 12-02-2014 05:00 PM
2016 Review by Autos.ca boblepp Audi Q3 Reviews 0 12-02-2014 12:41 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome