Audi Q3 Forum banner

Audi Q3 Real-World Gas Mileage Thread

59K views 87 replies 27 participants last post by  jweier 
#1 ·
Use this thread for reporting real-world gas mileage on your Audi Q3 model, make sure to state which engine you have along with any important details you feel necessary to state related to your MPG rating you report here.

To start, here's what one Audi Q3 owner has reported after 9500+ miles of driving:

2014 Audi Q3 2.0 TFSi
  • 26.1 Average MPG
  • 28.2 Best MPG (25/04/2014)
  • Total Miles Tracked: 9598 (19/12/2014)
*source: rudolphv | fuelly

vs

EPA Estimates
  • City: 20mpg
  • Highway: 29mpg
  • Combined: 23mpg

#5 ·
#7 ·
I get 20 mpg city driving and 28 mpg on highways.

#9 ·
Thanks for the responses so far.

I'm not so interested in city or overall gas mileage. They are too dependent on ambient temperatures, driving style and the terrain in which you live. And generally depressing. Both of my cars probably get mid to upper teens around town but they get 30 to 35 on interstates. I prefer to track and remember the 30+ numbers.
I’m interested in true interstate cruising type of gas mileage. The kind of gas mileage that you get when your 2.0L TFSI is fully warmed-up and barreling along at 80ish MPH using cruise control. The type of mileage that you look at and say, Wow I’m getting...
I drive between Philly and Atlanta a few times a year, avoiding DC but mostly using Interstates. Of the Interstates that I use, I85 comes closest to being the best example for good gas mileage. Especially the section between Charlotte and Atlanta where it is relatively flat and free of big city traffic. If anyone (wink, wink) has any experience driving on a road such as this, what kind of mileage do you get?

#10 · (Edited)
Well, Bob - since I live in about exactly the middle of the corridor you're curious about, I COULD be one of your best candidates for some metrics. Truth is though, I don't hit I-85 to Charlotte much, and my treks to Atlanta favor the S5 or TT.

That being said, I agree 100% about your interests in 'real world' mileage. I can add that my S5 typically gets about 12-14 mpg around my semi-daily local jaunts, but at a 78 mph average down I-85 to Atlanta (Road Atlanta actually a bit north of the city), can reach 27 mpg - not bad for a big coupe with 600+ hp, 0-60 3.2 sec, and 11.5 qtr. >:D

As for the Q3, I just don't yet have enough mileage (<1000 miles) on it to sort out any real useful data, but when I do, I'll be sure to post...

#11 ·
It seems like there is a bit of a spread between people's mpg numbers. I think a lot of that has to do with driving conditions and behaviour though. I do know that real world experience is much more useful than EPA estimates though.

Looks like lower mid 20s is about where people are landing.

#13 ·
We typically have 10% EtOH additive gasoline here - all year around - not just "dry gas" as I remember it from New England in the 60s (yikes, am I old ...).

#15 ·
This is a To The Top of a question I asked a month and a half ago. At that time apparently no one had their Q3 long enough to have used it for a road trip.
Hopefully, now that Winter has loosened it’s grip at least a little. someone will have had the opportunity to cruise an Interstate.
Thanks in advance.

I'm not so interested in city or overall gas mileage. They are too dependent on ambient temperatures, driving style and the terrain in which you live. And generally depressing. Both of my cars probably get mid to upper teens around town but they get 30 to 35 on interstates. I prefer to track and remember the 30+ numbers.
I’m interested in true interstate cruising type of gas mileage. The kind of gas mileage that you get when your 2.0L TFSI is fully warmed-up and barreling along at 80ish MPH using cruise control. The type of mileage that you look at and say, Wow I’m getting...
I drive between Philly and Atlanta a few times a year, avoiding DC but mostly using Interstates. Of the Interstates that I use, I85 comes closest to being the best example for good gas mileage. Especially the section between Charlotte and Atlanta where it is relatively flat and free of big city traffic. If anyone (wink, wink) has any experience driving on a road such as this, what kind of mileage do you get?

#16 ·
I'm planning a jaunt to Charlotte straight up I-85 in a few weeks to lust after an R8 - I'll take the Q (unless it's so pretty I want the TT with the top down) and check ...

#20 ·
This is a To The Top for a question I asked back in the beginning of February. And was prompted by Doug’s question in the SprintBooster thread.
Thanks in advance.

#22 ·
Well, I tried today to measure highway mileage. I drove from Cincinnati to Louisville on I-71, but with the hills and the other drivers celebrating drive like an idiot in the left lane day, I only averaged 29.

My daily commute to the north side of Cinci, has been getting better as the car breaks in and is now up to 32.

#25 ·
32 MPG is pretty good but I guess there have been no “WOW, I’m getting __ miles per gallon” moments.
That’s too bad, I thought there would be some real EPA toppers. Especially considering that it is a German car and in my 52 years of driving German and other European cars they usually beat the advertised estimates. It wasn’t quite as important when gas was $.30 a gallon. There were no EPA nor CAFÉ then, but the cars seemed to have smaller gas tanks so better MPG meant fewer fill-ups. Trying to explain to a gas station attendant (remember them) where your gas filler was located was always a challenge. However, telling them to put the snow tires on the front wheels or having them check the oil level in a transverse mounted engine with the radiator in a wheel well were always good for a laugh.

#23 ·
On a recent marathon drive from Pittsburgh to Columbus and back to see a band with my friend, Schrödinger averaged 29.5 mpg. That was quite a bit of stop and go on the way out with some heavy rain storms snarling traffic and then a serene 80 mph cruise on the return.

#26 ·
Hello,

I bought my new 2015 Q3 about 3 weeks ago. Very happy. White, non-Quatro, Prestige, Chestnut brown interior. (Although I would gladly exchange my paddle shifters for memory seats any day).

I'm quite surprised at the gas mileage. As the car breaks in, I seem to do better and better with my commute. I live in southern California and drive mostly highway miles with cruise control at about 65 - 70mph. (Mostly flat terrain with a few hills).

I drive conservatively and this is what I am averaging on my commutes.

Attachments

#31 ·
It seems like the Q3 neither disappoints nor impresses with its fuel economy. And that's okay with me. It's kind of nice to have the advertised MPG be the actual MPG. Isn't that the way things should be>? Makes me trust Audi more because what they say about their cars is actually true (in this case).

#33 ·
Well, maybe not quite a "WOW" mileage for some, the 30.9 mpg we've averaged during the first 600 miles of ownership is an exciting surprise for us....and it's better than my Lexus 400h hybrid.

Our miles may not be a "fair" test, meaning a little out of the ordinary, but the 600 miles have included a lot of winding mountain roads up to an elevation of 7,000 feet on Mt. Hood in Oregon, some interstate travel at 75 mph, and time driving on a beach in Long Beach, Washington.

Even if the average mpg drops to something like 26 mpg during short errands to the market or nursery, we'll be pleasantly surprised, and happy too. :cool:

#34 ·
I took a bit of a road trip today - all highway but I traveled 160+ miles and averaged over 31 MPG. It was all freeway but I am still very pleased!

#35 ·
I'm kind of psyched to take my highway drive to the Petit LeMans in Road Atlanta in a couple weeks - just to see how the car does on mileage too - will report of course...

Reactions: BobInPa
#36 ·
I'm encouraged by these reports. I wonder if my being at 3500 ft elevation will make any difference? Mostly my driving is back and forth 5 miles to work and home. I got 25 in my Mini in this situation vs around 35 on a long road trip.

#38 ·
I think my city is better too than the posted 20 MPG. I regularly see low to mid 20s in the city and 30+ on freeway trips...

#43 ·
Just did another 300+ miles in my wife's Q3 (we split the driving "duties" about 50/50), and this time it was almost all winding back country roads with speeds from 30 to 60 mph.....result: 29.9 mpg.

So with less than 1000 miles on the car, and while running on 33 lbs of pressure in all four tires....we are getting a comfortable ride and good mileage.

And we're getting good grip at that pressure too, as about 25% of our driving was in the rain (and some mud) as we pushed harder and harder to try to get a little slide out of the car through some of the turns without much success. Maybe once we get on the skid plate on the track we'll be a little less white-knuckled at this endeavor, but for now we're just enjoying the journey and not caring about the destination. :p

#47 ·
Just did another 300+ miles in my wife's Q3 (we split the driving "duties" about 50/50), and this time it was almost all winding back country roads with speeds from 30 to 60 mph.....result: 29.9 mpg.

So with less than 1000 miles on the car, and while running on 33 lbs of pressure in all four tires....we are getting a comfortable ride and good mileage. :p
Why did you decide on 33 when the consensus seems top be 44 and the B pillar says 44?

I am envious of your mileage. My first tank was 17.9. I hope it gets better.

~Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.