Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Audi has confirmed that it will put the new Android Auto in its vehicles starting next year. The automaker says that Android Auto will allow drivers to seamlessly access their Android apps using Audi MMI displays and controls optimized for safe and intuitive operation on the road.

When an Android smartphone is connected in a compatible Audi, drivers will see a prompt asking if they want their apps to function through the MMI touch display and controls. After that, all graphics, audio streams and interfaces will operate through Android Auto.

It is important to note that the integration of Android Auto won't make its vehicles incompatible with other brands of smartphone.

Ricky Hudi, Head of Development Electrics/Electronics, AUDI AG says:
“As the leader in the emerging field of connected car technologies, Audi recognizes the importance of meeting our customers’ mobile technology needs on their terms, but we should only do this through innovations, such as Android Auto, that reduce distractions and improve performance.”

·
Registered
914 Posts
great news, i love the android interface and have really adjusted to it coming from an apple product a couple years back and coming from that experience along with experience with audi's, i can say that the android interface will complement just about any audi it goes in.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you seen the android infotainment system though or are you just talking about their phone platform?

I think it remains to be seen whether Apple, QNX, or Android make the best system.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Have you seen the android infotainment system though or are you just talking about their phone platform?

I think it remains to be seen whether Apple, QNX, or Android make the best system.
well no, considering Apple and Android have yet to prove themselves, I'd say QNX makes the best system. The new QNX based Uconnect is hearlded as the best in the league right now...

·
Registered
914 Posts
it will be interesting to see how it stacks up to apple carplay, apple is usually good with it's user interface and i have a feeling they might do well with their in car systems

·
Registered
158 Posts
Apples UI is good because of its simplicity, in car infotainment needs to be simple, so its not like in the smartphone arena where its a unique offer. In this case it seems to be the industry norm.

Ferrari uses Car Play ATM, its ok, nothing substantial IMO...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am still thinking that QNX is going to do the best. I mean what else do they have to really put their effort into. this is the last thing going for them. I am guessing that eventually it will only be two players in this industry though. One will drop because it won't be as good as the others.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, confirmed. Not sure of the timeline on integration in the Q3 model specifically though.
I checked with my dealership yesterday, they said they do not have them in the North American Model. :(

I just checked with a different dealership and they said the same thing, not a chance....

Maybe they meant 2015 production which is 2016 model?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is disappointing. Is it already integrated into Audis that are being sold in other parts of the world?

It's a pretty big thing to be missing from the model. Big difference between the 2015 and 2016 model. I'd be upset that I didn't have the Android system if it came out a year later on the 2016 model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is disappointing. Is it already integrated into Audis that are being sold in other parts of the world?

It's a pretty big thing to be missing from the model. Big difference between the 2015 and 2016 model. I'd be upset that I didn't have the Android system if it came out a year later on the 2016 model.
I am not sure, one thing I know is the Navigation Module would be gone if they implement Google Auto, or they will have a regular Navigation package and charge additional Google Auto package?

Anyway, Google I/O was in August, and I am sure the 2015 Q3 are in production before that. Audi annoucing all 2015 will have Google Auto integrated would be such bs....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts