Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellow Forumers,

I've been trying to find the total weight that can be towed by the Q3 Quattro.

All I have found is info for FWD and a UK forum that says I just can't tow with the Q3...but I find that quite hard to believe.

I just transferred from a 2012 VW Touareg to a 2015 Q3. I know the VW can tow considerably more, but still need to know max capacity for Q3.

I'm excited to install my tow hitch next week. Nothing specific being towed as of yet, but anything from a small boat to medium sized trailers.

Thanks for any and all info!

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Welcome to the forum - hope you can find better info than I'm about to share, and soon. Meanwhile enjoy the forum as we're a pretty good place to find out Q3 stuff and have some knowledge too.

The Q3 uses the same basic platform as the Tiguan, so you should be able to use that for initial references. I say "initial" as Audi has NOT determined ANY allowable towing capacities for the NAR Q3s just yet. In fact, they do NOT show the existing tow hitches that have been available in the RoW even in the NAR parts ETKA yet other than "NOT for NAR." This is frustrating for sure as most folks believe every SUV has at least some towing capacity, and that is fundamentally true, but some reason Audi has not stepped up yet for it in the NAR. They say they are "working on it..."

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was also looking at that and asked the Sales Rep about it; but he said like Roger said that they are "working on it". Even the Q3 accessories list has no official Audi Tow Hitch for the Q3.

Sans the Volvo, all of my vehicles have had no Towing Capacity; but that isn't surprising since all of those are cars (sedans, coupes, hatchbacks, convertible). It doesn't stop one from trying. I've seen my MR2 Convertible with a Tow Hitch and mated to a stick shift and the 1800CC motor able to tow 800 lbs -- hardly a lot; but the MR2 has < 9 cu ft of usable trunk space, so ability to have any add'l space is better than none.

Looking online I see the Tiguan tows up to 2200 lbs in NA and 4400 lbs WorldWide. I read further this is due to where the tow hitch is mounted -- in NA via the bumper and WW attaches to the frame of the car itself. I suppose WW there's more demand for towing than NA, seems preposterous; but I do wonder if there some US laws/hidden costs to mounting the tow hitch directly to the frame.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts