Audi Q3 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Audi q3 Quattro S-Line
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leased S-line Jan 21, less than 12k, brakes started making a rotor pulsing sound once you brake. Dealer takes 5 weeks to get me in and lets me drive on the bad brakes from appointment time to shop entry. Takes 17 days to do the job.

Then they determine per this TSB, the pads are bad - material is “transferring“ to the rotors. Front rotors are destroyed. All pads all rotors have to be replaced - $1,185.14 - OUT OF WARRANTY.

Audi comps half - $592 still out of my pocket. I opened a case with Audi asking for the rest back as in 29 years of driving I’ve never had brakes go out in less than 50,000 and the whole thing is outrageous. The service writer disappears halfway through the job and I have to actually drive up to the dealer to find out information. No one calls, or anything.

The TSB blames the pad failure on 3 things, all of which don’t apply:

1) aggressive driving or sharp braking which overheats the brakes (like, melts them basically). I’m not an aggressive driver or sharp braking - I’m a nurse, and I just drive between two or three hospitals. Half this car lease was during Covid and I wasn’t even driving a lot, Delta wave (quarantining) - hence the low mileage between inception of the lease Jan 21 and June 22. I don’t live in a city so we don‘t even have to sharp break here (I’m in the mountains of NC, Asheville).

2) Corrosion - causes by road salt, car not used for a long period of time humidity or moisture, or - GET THIS - a “gentle” driving style - this is almost laughable (so you either brake to hard, or brake to gentle - you can’t make this up). Even if any of these things applied, which they all don‘t, a $48,000 GERMAN ENGINEERED BRAKE SYSTEM SHOULD BE ABLE TO WITHSTAND THAT YOU IDIOTS.

3) Improperly torqued wheels.
4) Aftermarket wheels.
5) Accidents or rust buildup.
6) Faulty suspension.
7) Tire/wheel imbalance - I’ve had my tires/wheels balanced several times.

To make this more mysterious, the same dealer that diagnosed this did my 10,000 mile Service just last January where they passed the brake and rotor inspection.

HAS ANYONE EVER GONE THROUGH ANYTHING SO CRAZY?

Audio corporate hasn’t responded to my request (total radio silence) for my $592 back, but if they don’t, I will file with the Auto BBB, as the Audi warranty manual suggests. I figure I’ll give them two weeks.

Any feedback really appreciated!

TSB and photos of the damaged rotors taken by the dealership attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh, it's making my blood boil just reading this. I just feel I would get the same response from my local dealership. I have the same car as you with 8k miles and while I'm not in the same position as you right now, I can already see how quickly these brake pads are depleting; faster than a pencil eraser.

I had a similar, but not exact problem with my Infiniti G37x. In this case, I took my car to the dealership because the brakes were squealing. The car was inspected by service and the Service Writer told me the brakes were fine at 7mm of pad. The problem continued, and I set a new appointment for the following week. This time, they claimed the pads were at 2mm. Like your situation, the insufficent pad depth damaged the rotors. So, Infiniti replaced the rotors and pads at a 75% discount. So, here's why I'm bringing this experience up:

Consider reviewing your January service write-up to see if they listed the mm depth of the pads at that time. Use this to your advantage. It's likely service said you had more pad depth than you actually did. If that's the case, you can claim the pads had unusually failed in such a short driving rage and that it's irrational for you to have suddenly changed the way you drive. I would rely on Audi Corporate to assist in your claim. I would also expect a complete set of pads and rotors if my brakes had worn down in under 12k and damaged the rotors. Its irrational.

Now, if you really want to make a scene, simply go to the dealership showroom floor and ask to see what a new car's pads look like. The salespeople will do everything to keep you off the showroom floor complaining out loud about how you had to get new pads and rotors in the first 12k miles. It's simply not good for business.

The 5 week waiting period for service is real -- Experiencing the same in Seattle. The 17 day wait to do your service job is unacceptable, period.

·
Registered
Audi q3 Quattro S-Line
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, it's making my blood boil just reading this. I just feel I would get the same response from my local dealership. I have the same car as you with 8k miles and while I'm not in the same position as you right now, I can already see how quickly these brake pads are depleting; faster than a pencil eraser.

I had a similar, but not exact problem with my Infiniti G37x. In this case, I took my car to the dealership because the brakes were squealing. The car was inspected by service and the Service Writer told me the brakes were fine at 7mm of pad. The problem continued, and I set a new appointment for the following week. This time, they claimed the pads were at 2mm. Like your situation, the insufficent pad depth damaged the rotors. So, Infiniti replaced the rotors and pads at a 75% discount. So, here's why I'm bringing this experience up:

Consider reviewing your January service write-up to see if they listed the mm depth of the pads at that time. Use this to your advantage. It's likely service said you had more pad depth than you actually did. If that's the case, you can claim the pads had unusually failed in such a short driving rage and that it's irrational for you to have suddenly changed the way you drive. I would rely on Audi Corporate to assist in your claim. I would also expect a complete set of pads and rotors if my brakes had worn down in under 12k and damaged the rotors. Its irrational.

Now, if you really want to make a scene, simply go to the dealership showroom floor and ask to see what a new car's pads look like. The salespeople will do everything to keep you off the showroom floor complaining out loud about how you had to get new pads and rotors in the first 12k miles. It's simply not good for business.

The 5 week waiting period for service is real -- Experiencing the same in Seattle. The 17 day wait to do your service job is unacceptable, period.

Thanks for your reply. I’m sureprised I’ve only got one so far. Good suggestion on the mm dept from the Jan service. Unfortunatly I didn’t save that handwritten multi-point inspection, but in reality, the brake depth is apparently not actually the issue from what they described but its in the way the pad material “transferred” to the rotors in the overheating process. But you are correct, if this ever goes to small claims court - and I will take the dealership there if I have to - I have zero qualms about doing that - that is exactly what I would focus on because if it passed at 10,000 mile service with flying colors - how did rotors get destroyed in such a small period of time - basically impossible. I can make a case to a judge so quickly I’ll destroy any service writer or service manager that I put on a stand. I’ll have so many questions prepared for them they won’t be prepared for or be able to answer, any county judge will just find in my favor just to get me out of their courtroom. I’ll get my money back.

·
Super Moderator
214 Posts
What’s crazy is I had a problem with my brakes squeaking at idle moving speed and the Audi service tech told me to accelerate to 45MPH then slam the brakes on to stop that noise. But wouldn’t have the effect you’re talking about.

·
Registered
Audi q3 Quattro S-Line
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No response from Audi customer care. Reps are unreachable by phone, all emails ignored. Filing BBB claim.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts