Audi Q3 Forum banner

20x9 ET 35

21K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  ambushloco 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a set of rims that are 9" width and offset of 35. Will it fit flush with the fenders or will they extend out?

What is the rim spec of the 18" rims that come standard on Q3 premiums?

#2 ·
The 'standard' wheel is 7x18 et 43; the next is 8.5x19 et 36; and then 8.5x20 et 36

So if you use 9x20 et 35 almost the entire extra half inch (except the skinny mm) of width over the 19s or 20s that Audi use, will be split evenly inwards and outwards, from the upmarket (19-20) wheel. So you can figure about a 1/4 inch each way ... that help?

#3 · (Edited)
oh, and from the 'standard' wheel, the reduced offset plus the added width 'fills' the wheel well more to the outside, but also adds some to the inside. The change in offset (reduced positive by 8mm or about a 1/3 inch) contributes to a moving 'inward' but the extra width (1 1/2") contributes to a larger outward result (as well as a larger inward one too) ...

Net result is something like :

1 1/2 inches divided by 2 = 3/4"+ 1/3" to the inside
3/4" -1/3" added to the outside ...

#4 ·
From the widest OEM wheels(8.5 ET 36) to the wheels I'm about to order (9.0 ET 35), looks like it will add 5mm inward and add 7mm... I'm wondering if this added 5mm inward will cause problem with strut....

#6 ·
okay, strut is fine - it's the lower spring cap you'll have to worry about - and this will depend on what tire size you pick to go with those wheels. If you add even a few millimeters of OD or width of the tire shoulder, you may have a clearance issue with it. If your OD is the same or a tiny bit less, I think you'll be fine with up to 255s, but I don't think I'd try 265s ...

#7 ·
Thank you so much for checking it out.

I was planning on 255/35/20 tires and lowering the car about 30-35mm using new springs and shocks.

Do you think maybe adding a 5mm spacer may help with clearance?

#8 · (Edited)
There's a Q3 that's on 9" ET 26 with 5mm spacer with 255/35/20 tires, that seems fine. If my calculation is correct, he's basically running 9" ET 21.... am I right?

And if I run 9" ET 35 with 5 mm spacer (to ensure I don't hit spring cap), it would be 9" ET 30.

I wonder if i would be okay with the same tires.

#9 ·
The 5 mm spacer about makes up for the reduced offset - I have 255/40-19s and the factory spec for 20s is 255/35 (same OD as me) which I think would be okay with the 9s. I'd be careful with spacers at that offset as your moving the whole thing now out farther from the wheel bearings. There's only so much cantilever they can stand ... also, lowering will change camber (in at the top) where you can't adjust (unless you get camber plates too) and might have clearance issues otherwise (unless all the lowering is coming from the bottom of the spring cap - or if you're using smaller diameter springs and new caps which could give you plenty of clearance). I think with 255s though you should be okay as long as your OD is close or less than mine (27.0").

What kind of shocks/springs are you looking at?

#13 ·
the same OD - as for 8.5 vs 9 and/or spacers - I'd opt for the solution w/o spacers - since you'll have to worry about them sticking, fitting, and the different bolts just for them - unless you can bolt them on (and 5mm is too thin for that), they're a hassle to me. I'd bet your new springs and caps will be MUCH narrower than the OEM units so the clearance issues should disappear...

Now I'm curious which wheel you're looking at - :laugh:

#15 ·
I'd bet your new springs and caps will be MUCH narrower than the OEM units so the clearance issues should disappear...

Now I'm curious which wheel you're looking at - :laugh:
I'm hoping that's the case!

I'm going for this look with "RS5 rims" from Hartmann.

#16 ·
I'm hoping that's the case!

I'm going for this look with "RS5 rims" from Hartmann.

Have you fitted these yet? I'm looking at the same wheel for our Mythos Q3 and would be very interested in your experiences. TIA.

#11 ·
Also, there is the same rims but at 8.5 ET 40... which adds 4mm inward instead of 5mm... Should I go for this one instead and maybe add spacers with this one?

#20 ·
Here's a crappy iphone picture after putting on the wheels. I will have the grill and coilovers installed by Tuesday!
Looks great! Probably going to buy a set as well.

20x9 Hartmann HTT-256-MA:M? What offset?

Before the suspension changes, I'd appreciate your impressions on the ride quality. Also, what size and type tires you go for?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.