Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's my understanding, that this "newer" TFSI (post 2007) now has a timing chain opposed to a timing belt that needed changing around 75,000 miles. Usually, tensioners were also replaced as well as the water pump while it was all open.

Does anyone if this engine does have a timing chain and if the water pumps are more reliable now?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
It's my understanding, that this "newer" TFSI (post 2007) now has a timing chain opposed to a timing belt that needed changing around 75,000 miles. Usually, tensioners were also replaced as well as the water pump while it was all open.

Does anyone if this engine does have a timing chain and if the water pumps are more reliable now?

Thanks
If you look at the pdf referred to above for the 2007 CCTA engine, you'll see it DOES have a timing chain...and I can confirm via Audi ETKA, that my Q3 CCTA engine has one too.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Again, as I noted above and in this post (http://www.audiq3forum.com/forum/457-engine-technical-discussion/2321-2-0-tfsi-200-hp-us-na.html#post14497), I believe that the CCTA has the older K03 turbo - a bit smaller and 'integrated' into the exhaust manifold, so that's how it's a bit de-rated compared to the current crop (K04 turbos) - most rated at 211 hp. The 'new' engine rated at 220 hp may be just a tune, as ALL of these engines respond to tunes VERY well. I would expect as easy to get close to 250 hp with 'just' a tune - see other post by MPBQ about APR http://www.audiq3forum.com/forum/457-engine-technical-discussion/3906-q3-power-upgrades.html#post28298...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thank you again Roger, guess I'm still a bit overwhelmed by all the information on this site.
The APR looks very interesting especially as my Audi dealer is also an APR installer so less chance of a warranty SNAFU in my mind. Anyway, my Q3 is slated to go into production next week so first things first. Still thinking it might have a face lift.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
... Anyway, my Q3 is slated to go into production next week so first things first. Still thinking it might have a face lift.
I was at first skeptical that Audi would make the change so soon (before 2016 models) and was pretty vocal about such a 'dumb' move. But then from good sources within AoA, knew that the A6-A7 was on hold for new orders in December of 2014 for "product improvement" which could've been code for their facelift turnaround (plant shutdown and retooling). That led me to re-think my earlier position that Audi wouldn't make the Q3 facelift so soon, even as folks were reporting it to occur late in 2014 and quoting Audi sources as backup. Then I heard (again thru AoA) that the Seat plant in Martorell (where the Q3 is made) was due for a late Feb turnaround, and began to think, Holy $hit, perhaps they (Audi) WILL do it mid-run afterall...

Now we see in the RoW, brochures already out, facelift cars soon if not now available for order, etc, BUT, it still appears that for the NAR, we will still get the current model till around June-July anyway as that's what Audi's telling Canada at least. And there has been so far NO hold on order takeins for "production improvements" yet. So, it looks like the earliest NAR facelifts WILL be 2016 models. The Q7 is getting the new grill too, but at least the A6/7 didn't. Good for me, as I'm not keen on the look in bright metal at least - Schwarz Optik is not so bad.

Plus if the Q3 facelift is available in the RoW now, it looks like Martorell can build them side-by-side, not an impossible thing - just a bit weird IMHO. Lastly, I could be completely full of it ... was known to occur at least once before ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts