Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought an Audi Q3 and I'm starting to hate it. The Audi has enough power but the transmission doesn't feel smooth at all. In "D" mode, it tends to stay in higher gear (5/6 gear) but at low speed (40 MPH) causing shudder, vibration, droning, and lack of acceleration. If I give it more gas, there's a delay and it jerks into a lower gear. If I use manual mode and put it into 6 gear at 50 MPH, it doesn't accelerate at all. In fact, the RPM decrease while giving it gas followed by vibration, shudder, etc. I'm forced to use "S" mode all the time now to bypass the before mentioned problems.

Does anyone have the same problem(s)? Is there a fix?

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
First, welcome to the forum - we are hopeful that you'll find answers and can contribute to your ownership experience here - we're a pretty knowledgeable group and willing to help. Second, sorry you're having an issue causing some frustrations - there are a few other notes on driveability, but not exactly like yours.

In my own car I notice the flat-spot even in 4th-6th, but also that the "kick-down" is a bit stiff, at least compared with my TT. But on push thru, the car shifts fine - although since it's a regular automatic (torque converter), it's not as crisp as the DSG (dual clutch) in my TT.

I'll aslo be trying a throttle aid called SprintBooster (see here http://www.audiq3forum.com/forum/457-engine-technical-discussion/4778-sprintbooster-throttle-aid.html#post38722 ) that should help throttle tip-in - as I have one on my S5 and like it a lot. It should arrive this week, and is an easy PlugNPlay.

Meanwhile take your in for a service check and have them scan for faults - perhaps something is really amiss - it doesn't sound normal and you should have the chance to get your car right. I'll check for any TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) that may be related and report back later this week...

http://www.audiq3forum.com/forum/457-engine-technical-discussion/4778-sprintbooster-throttle-aid.html#post38722

·
Registered
113 Posts
although since it's a regular automatic (torque converter), it's not as crisp as the DSG (dual clutch) in my TT.
That's interesting, I thought all Q3 had the S-Tronic 7 speed DSG box (apart from the 1.4TFsi with the 6 speed box), I looked for info on the cars available in the UK and the 2L TFsi is listed as 7 speed S-Tronic.........I always thought the TC trans was the Tiptronic?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First, welcome to the forum - we are hopeful that you'll find answers and can contribute to your ownership experience here - we're a pretty knowledgeable group and willing to help. Second, sorry you're having an issue causing some frustrations - there are a few other notes on driveability, but not exactly like yours.

In my own car I notice the flat-spot even in 4th-6th, but also that the "kick-down" is a bit stiff, at least compared with my TT. But on push thru, the car shifts fine - although since it's a regular automatic (torque converter), it's not as crisp as the DSG (dual clutch) in my TT.

I'll aslo be trying a throttle aid called SprintBooster (see here http://www.audiq3forum.com/forum/457-engine-technical-discussion/4778-sprintbooster-throttle-aid.html#post38722 ) that should help throttle tip-in - as I have one on my S5 and like it a lot. It should arrive this week, and is an easy PlugNPlay.

Meanwhile take your in for a service check and have them scan for faults - perhaps something is really amiss - it doesn't sound normal and you should have the chance to get your car right. I'll check for any TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) that may be related and report back later this week...
I'm also getting seat vibration on decent to hard acceleration. None to very little vibration on "gramdma mode" acceleration. Do you have this problem too or is your engine smooth?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Is there a chance you got a bad tank of gas?? Was it a major retailer you filled from??

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Interesting, I wonder why?

Thanks........
Best guess is to lower the base price cost for our markets and to simplify orders. The older Tiptronic likely has a lower internal costs than the newer types. And they know we tender-bummed people are happy with its smooth shifting. I would hope a couple years of demand will let them see there is a market for the nicer transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a chance you got a bad tank of gas?? Was it a major retailer you filled from??
I'm still on the tank of gas the car came with....lol. Maybe the dealer is super cheap and used some low grade gas when they sold me the car? Don't know. I still have a 1/4 of tank. I'm going to wait until it gets really close to empty and fill her up with 93 oct gas from Chevron.

·
Registered
301 Posts
For comparison, mine is without vibration at idle and I mean no vibration at all. At all speeds it is smooth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For comparison, mine is without vibration at idle and I mean no vibration at all. At all speeds it is smooth.
I'm having slight seat and steering wheel vibration on idle. Very hard to notice but it's there. From 0 to 60 with decent to hard acceleration, the seat vibrates and is noticeable. I'll take it in and let the service adviser know. Car has less than 400 miles :(.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'm having slight seat and steering wheel vibration on idle. Very hard to notice but it's there. From 0 to 60 with decent to hard acceleration, the seat vibrates and is noticeable. I'll take it in and let the service adviser know. Car has less than 400 miles :(.
Hopefully it's something as simple as just some fitment issues and nothing more, but at least with it being a seat its much more simple than many other things.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Hope it's just a loose seat rail or 2 ...

·
Registered
301 Posts
drpham81..... If you are manually shifting keep in mind it will let you shift to higher gears which are inappropriate for the speed you are at. Especially if you are expecting to accelerate. I tried this on my last drive. Just because it lets you shift up does not mean that is a good idea. To me 5 and 6 are pretty much steady state highway speeds only, say 100 kph or 60 mph. Around town at thirty mph you would not typically want those gears. It feels real uncomfortable in sixth under fifty mph. I am sure you realize that manual shifting defeats its attempts to pick the best gear for your speed and throttle setting so you get exactly what you ask for. That may be the cause of some of your observations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
drpham81..... If you are manually shifting keep in mind it will let you shift to higher gears which are inappropriate for the speed you are at. Especially if you are expecting to accelerate. I tried this on my last drive. Just because it lets you shift up does not mean that is a good idea. To me 5 and 6 are pretty much steady state highway speeds only, say 100 kph or 60 mph. Around town at thirty mph you would not typically want those gears. It feels real uncomfortable in sixth under fifty mph. I am sure you realize that manual shifting defeats its attempts to pick the best gear for your speed and throttle setting so you get exactly what you ask for. That may be the cause of some of your observations.
Understood.

However, I still get delays in automatic mode and vibration on acceleration. Now I noticed a weird clicking sound while driving (driver side close to the floor). Like click...click....multi fast clicks...It would go away and then come back. Annoying but hopefully that is normal. Also, the brakes sticks and there seems like a delay in the brake release right after you depress the brake pedal. This only happens when the car is at a full stop and I try to give it gas immediately after releasing the brakes.

Maybe I should just accept that car as is and stop being OCD about it. It is an entry audi model and it's not like I'm driving an A6/8.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The brakes are not sticking. That is hill assist. When you stop on an incline the brakes are held for a second or two after you release them so you do not slide backwards. The accelerator releases them. The clicking is likely the high pressure injectors. I complained about that and was told the clicking is normal but I think it sounds cheap.

·
Registered
916 Posts
The brakes are not sticking. That is hill assist. When you stop on an incline the brakes are held for a second or two after you release them so you do not slide backwards. The accelerator releases them. The clicking is likely the high pressure injectors. I complained about that and was told the clicking is normal but I think it sounds cheap.
It's great that these days we have that feature as without it, being in that situation is really nerve wrecking, especially when you have people that stop extremely close to you without leaving roll-back room.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Unfortunately clicking injectors are more and more common - I had very noisy ones in a BMW 10 years ago. With higher emissions control and increasing fuel pressures, it's just becoming the norm...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts