Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird thing tonight, pulled over in a parking lot to take a picture of an amazing cloud formation, had my key in my pocket. When I went to start the car, it wouldn't recognize the key. Flipped open the manual (which, once again, should be a searchable pdf by now - it is 2015) and on page 69 found I should hold the key vertical next to the steering column. Voila, it syncs and car works again. My question is, what would have made it stop being recognized by the car? Is this something these keys do from time-to-time? Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Weird thing tonight, pulled over in a parking lot to take a picture of an amazing cloud formation, had my key in my pocket. When I went to start the car, it wouldn't recognize the key. Flipped open the manual (which, once again, should be a searchable pdf by now - it is 2015) and on page 69 found I should hold the key vertical next to the steering column. Voila, it syncs and car works again. My question is, what would have made it stop being recognized by the car? Is this something these keys do from time-to-time? Has this happened to anyone else?
HMMM??? Amazing Cloud formations and the key not being recognized=aliens from outer space.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've had this happen twice now - no rhyme or reason and eventually just starts working again on its own. Very strange.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Yup, it does. I've had my S5 key fo this 2-3 times in the last 6 years - doesn't seem to associated with battery life, just aliens ...btw, you should get a message when the battery gets low. Don't wait too long to change it. It sometimes gets wiggy on low battery. Changing the battery does NOT necessarily lead to a re-synch either.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, it does. I've had my S5 key fo this 2-3 times in the last 6 years - doesn't seem to associated with battery life, just aliens ...btw, you should get a message when the battery gets low. Don't wait too long to change it. It sometimes gets wiggy on low battery. Changing the battery does NOT necessarily lead to a re-synch either.
Pesky aliens. The cloud did look pretty suspicious.

Ignore me if this is in the manual and I'll go look it up, but any real world insight into how long the battery life is for the Advanced Keys? I am not getting a low battery warning yet. My key/car is less than six months old.

In other news, it looks like my beloved floor mats have cleared customs in Spain and are on their way. I ordered on the 6th, so they spent about 10 days hanging around Spain before released. I have never been so excited about floor mats. :)

·
Registered
451 Posts

Ignore me if this is in the manual and I'll go look it up, but any real world insight into how long the battery life is for the Advanced Keys? I am not getting a low battery warning yet. My key/car is less than six months old.

In other news, it looks like my beloved floor mats have cleared customs in Spain and are on their way. I ordered on the 6th, so they spent about 10 days hanging around Spain before released. I have never been so excited about floor mats. :)
Amazing how we get older sometimes the little things in life gets us excited.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts

My Advanced Key batteries seem to last about 3 years so far - have changed them both once before, and just again this month... in 6 years. My dealer GIVES them to me - most do I think - :laugh:

Reactions: deverelle
1 - 7 of 7 Posts