Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here's for anyone who has a white or specifically Glacier White car. I was getting in the car one sunny day and I noticed the paint right above the moulding of the top of the window there was what looked like a bad paint job like the paint dripped and never dried right. Here's the weird thing. I only notice it if the sun is shining on the paint.

Am I seeing the shadow of the moulding or is there really a defect in my paint?

here are some pics below....there might be duplicates...

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
The best way to tell would be to use a very light touch and try to feel the texture. Do you think that you can get in there? If not maybe a popsicle stick?

Reactions: deverelle

·
Registered
34 Posts
Okay here's for anyone who has a white or specifically Glacier White car. I was getting in the car one sunny day and I noticed the paint right above the moulding of the top of the window there was what looked like a bad paint job like the paint dripped and never dried right. Here's the weird thing. I only notice it if the sun is shining on the paint.

Am I seeing the shadow of the moulding or is there really a defect in my paint?

here are some pics below....there might be duplicates...
It almost look like a reflection off of the chrome molding. I'll take a look at mine today when I get home.

One thing that I have noticed is a stain of "dust" that appears after raining; drips from the corner of the molding in the back on to the side panels.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The best way to tell would be to use a very light touch and try to feel the texture. Do you think that you can get in there? If not maybe a popsicle stick?
Good advice, Joe. Looks like a reflection but hard to tell.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I have Cortina White & get the exact same thing... Mechanically inclined hubby inspected mine after I brought it to his attention & says it's just light reflecting off of the chrome trim.
Good call - from the pics, that's what I'd say - but I also Like Joe's advice to feel it. My guess it will feel perfectly smooth, hence the reflections ...

·
Registered
914 Posts
Rubbing that area with a clay bar and the lubricant that comes with it might be a good thing to do to clean that area up. Also useful in the future for hard to get off stuff, like dead bugs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roger
It does feel perfectly smooth. That was the puzzling part. How could it be a bad paint job and be smooth too. I just couldn't figure out how the reflection of the moulding would cause that shadow. I swore it looked like a really bad paint job. Thank goodness I'm not the only one who saw it Christa.... I was ready to drive back to the dealer and give someone a piece of my mind... Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Roger
It does feel perfectly smooth. That was the puzzling part. How could it be a bad paint job and be smooth too. I just couldn't figure out how the reflection of the moulding would cause that shadow. I swore it looked like a really bad paint job. Thank goodness I'm not the only one who saw it Christa.... I was ready to drive back to the dealer and give someone a piece of my mind... Thanks guys
If you're still unsure - check it with an artificial light - say a flash light or better, put something in the sunlight's line of sight to shade it a bit (perhaps on just the left side of the mark) and see if it "disappears"...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Or maybe cover up the chrome molding with a black electrical tape to eliminate the reflection and check if it still does that in the natural sun light.

Reactions: rnlabas
1 - 10 of 10 Posts