Audi Q3 Forum banner

Another Newbie

17K views 70 replies 10 participants last post by  rebop 
#1 ·
A4 Avant Ultrasport owner just bought a Q3 Prestige Sport. A tad confusing, but have enjoyed the first 122 miles :)

Questions of course! And have learned a bit from reading here, so thanks for the knowledge base.

~Bob

#36 ·
OK, moving to MMI questions :)

I assume, and will try later, with no Audi Connect, you still have NAV, but with built in maps, yes? If so, can these maps be updated?

Going to try this later today as everything Audi Connect does, my iPhone does better and faster and I can access Siri through Voice Control. So not seeing a reason for another monthly expense unless I am missing something. Still finishing that last MMI manual.

~Bob

#37 ·
Maps can be updated within your Audi Connect services (betcha Siri can't do that) and your car - at the moment there aren't any to be had. Expect them perhaps once a year - none were released for 2015.

#38 ·
Thanks. Are they free?

Siri cannot, yes. But I have Navigon one time purchase and it is an excellent NAV on my iphone.

ALMOST done with questions. A few things I am not happy with like length of Coming Home and how easily lights go on on auto. But biggest is the lack of quality with Sirius.

More as it all comes together.

~Bob

#39 ·
Map updates will be free - once or twice I think - not sure though , they usually cost ~$150, but some dealers don't charge for them. Coming Home timing can be adjusted in VAS or VCDS and I think the Auto Lights can be too in MMI - I'll look for it -

#40 ·
Cool. Thanks Roger.

Just finished reading the last manual. A few things to try. Small list for the dealer next Friday such as adjusting the lights, checking to see if the Sirius radio is defective or that is how it is (I hope not). I also need to learn Parking Assist a bit better, but that is me an d experience I think.

~Bob

#41 ·
OK, first ride with friends who agreed something very wrong with the Sirius tuner. I have an appt next Friday for that. And, first tank of gas and not great gas mileage at 17.2.

BUT, big one. Engine off. How do I close windows? Cannot find that in the manual. Had to turn the engine on for that.

#42 ·
The best way is to program to open and close with the key fob through vagcom. You can also put the key in the drivers side door and turn and hold to the left and right to open all and close all of the windows and roof.

#45 ·
Got it. No destination set. Also not intuitive.

So, it has been a week. You have seen my questions / issues. Unsure how gas mileage will sort out and what will happen with what I consider unacceptable Sirius sound quality. With luck, that will be an antenna issue or something similar. But let me list what I consider disappointing in the Q3 for me:

1. BOSE system highly disappointing on Sirius
2. Headlight on indicator is in a poor location - bothersome
3. Mirrors do not fold automatically - not a show stopper
4. 3G only on Audi Connect - Disappointing and likely reason enough not to continue after 6 month trial
5. Memory seats lacking - a miss from Audi
6. Auto headlight sensitivity very poor - MUST get this adjusted. On too soon and off too long after needed
7. Coming home quits in seconds - Unusable
8. MMI does not fold - we all know this one
9. No way to hold cargo floor open - Very logical on my A4 Avant. Cannot fathom why this is so on the Q3
10. BMW owners get more loyalty than Audi owners!! (50% more) this is just wrong, imho.
11. Poor quality, thin floor mats - Poor quality carpet. Too true.
12. Cannot set Presets as default for dash radio. A nuisance. Should follow the MMI.
13. Cannot raise windows with engine off! - Wow. Bit me today. Need to use the key????
14. Tire pressure delivered low at 33 s/b 44. Discussed. A small loss of confidence wit the dealer on this one.
15. Hill hold does not seem to work, even with AC off. No answer to this one yet.

So, not horrible, but not as satisfactory as would have hoped. Nothing I cannot get around. Taught me more things to look for next time :)

Thanks for the answers and advice all. I'm sure I will have more as time goes on, but I think this is pretty thorough for the moment.

~Bob

#46 ·
And here we go with more :)

Oddest thing today. VERY hot inside the car. I keep the thermostat set to Automatic. Turned the temp way down to cool faster and would only blow hot air. Tried everything. Turned it off, then tried AC, then Auto again. No go.

Stopped. Shut the engine down. Turned AC off. Then started, turned to auto and for the first time today the light on the AC button came on and it started cooling.

Any ideas? I hope I explained well enough. Auto, low temp, no light on AC and blowing hot. Pressing AC illuminated for a split second then went off again. After stop, etc, finally lit.

#47 ·
Sounds like a potentially defective switch or relay - NOT normal behavior to me ...

#48 ·
I agree. I am going in Friday so will add to the list. Thought it *possibly* something I did or did not do, but cannot imagine what. Just could not get the AC switch to light and with temp set to 60 and auto, should have lit by itself.

I'll report after Friday.

Thanks.

#49 ·
Did not get much of anywhere at the dealer. Need to set an appointment with service. Down to an issue, a few things I would prefer differently and two intermittents (Voice button and AC on button).

But the biggest issue by far is Sirius radio. It drops out more often than I have ever experienced, goes to "linking" a few times a day and worse, compresses and pumps high frequencies.

Went to the local high end car stereo guru and he thought it could be a bad antenna connection, which could make sense. If so, signal level could be low causing bit rate to drop well below max and compressing and pumping.

So let me get a little feedback here please. WHERE is the Sirius radio? Is it part of the MMI? A separate box (I hope so it can be easily swapped). Where is the antenna.? Same as GPS? Easy to check antenna connections or require a headliner removal?

Any insight appreciated.

I did get a marketing call from Sirius tonight congratulating me on my new Audi, etc. Trying to sell me service of course. I told him how poor this is and he says Sirius has Sirius hardware technicians near major cities that can help me find the problem. I told him I would Love to talk with them and he went to transfer me. Call went to dial tone of course. And I can find no reference to these techs online.

Did I mention while at the dealer I asked to play with the radio in another Prestige. Sounded noticeably better to me, but then I have a good ear. I cam concerned about convincing I have a problem to an Audi tech. But, shall see.

~Bob

#50 ·
Bob - where are you? What dealer are you using and is it the dealer you bought the car from? PM these details if you don't mind and I will give you some specifics to try ...

#51 ·
Just posted about what I learned re: auto headlights with and without daytime running lights in another topic on Auto Headlights.

I'm down to one issue, one preference, two intermittents I cannot reproduce and a gripe :)

Issue is Sirius radio. I am now 100% positive mine is defective. Bluetooth from my iPhone sounds 500% better, much less CD or even FM. Trying to get an appointment now.

I will try to get the time Coming Home lights are on extended - doubled would be great.

AC blowing hot and not being able to latch the button has not happened again.

Voice recognition button not working has not happened again.

A few things I would have preferred such as 4G, memory seats - the usual list. But the grip is that in 600 miles, the outside "piano black" pillars are noticeably scratched. What a poor finish choice. even inside, invites scratches and fingerprints.

Gas mileage is rough around town.

And, it seems if you shut down with the last display being radio presets, it remembers that as a default. But not if you shut down in any other mode. And Presets makes so much sense to be the radio default.

All for now. Going to be Googling third party grilles:)

~Bob

#52 ·
I would like to think that your problems are car specific as I have not experienced any of your problems, my At Home lights actually stay on longer than I would prefer and I have been getting roughly 24-25 mpg in town even with having to climb the mountain on every return trip. I will say the mpg is going to drop now that I have the SprintBooster but that is my choice. I agree memory seats would be nice but all things considered I am extremely happy with my Q3.

#53 ·
I am amazed at 24-25 around town. Yesterday's errand run was averaging 16.2. And I can't be driving very aggressively around town. Maybe there is something wrong. And you are first to say Coming Home is long. Mine is literally 6-8 seconds. Wondering what could be wrong?

~Bob

#55 ·
something must be up with yours. I have never gotten 16.2. That's a bummer. My mileage is one of the bright spots in the Q3!

#54 · (Edited)
I hope you realize that your new engine still needs to loosen up i.e. broken in - before you can get representative fuel #'s.
Having said that, my 800 mile newborn baby has been constantly avg 24-25 mpg in combined driving since delivery. So that should go up a bit once things seat in.

So some engines are just looser/tighter than others from the factory.

#57 ·
Well, I view as I travel. For the entire 700 some odd miles, i am at 19.3. For a 16 mile trip yesterday of 3 miles city streets. stop signs and lights and 13 miles freeway I got 22 and some odd.

Today will be 100 miles of mixed city and freeway. Will see what it does. But it is now on the list to check at service on Friday. Good to know I should be expecting better. Wondering what the issue can be?

~Bob

#59 ·
Yet others with similar miles are getting better mileage.

I just thought I wonder if it could be air conditioning? It has not been off since I bought the car. On AUTO and needed. Could that be eating the miles?

I will try with it off on this trip this morning.

~Bob

#61 ·
A few updates. Been in the dealer service waiting room 4 hours now :)

Decided to reset my gas mileage as I entered the freeway today. Mileage was over 30. Just fine. So it is only when around town that it is low and bringing my average way down. Will wait until 5,000 check to even bring it up.

Now, dealer says there is no code to extend the time for the Coming Home lights. I am surprised. Would so much prefer longer.

I had checked my oil cold, then after running and waiting a few minutes. I was above the M in MAX. Of course, I pull into the dealer and it is perfect. I do not believe I was on such unlevel ground to cause that high a reading. I am baffled. It seems ok here.

Last, the radio. No error codes and tech says it is fine,. but the foreman, who is German and has seen issues like this has been working on it for two hours. He thinks it is the antenna and intermittent. We shall see.

Glad I brought my laptop as it has been a productive morning while I wait.

~Bob

#62 ·
OK, I know this is going to sound nuts, but TWICE today I went out to check the mail and the hatch was wide open on the Q3. The car is always locked, light blinking.

the key is in my pocket at the back of the house maybe 30 feet away. And it takes a long press on the key to open the hatch so I do not see how that could be possible.

I am baffled. And concerned.

~Bob

#64 ·
Are you dancing kinda weirdly as you pass the car, so as to mash your trunk button when you get close enough?

#68 ·
Yup they can - and I believe if you try to lock the 2nd one in the car with the 1st one, it will NOT allow it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.