Audi Q3 Forum banner

Another Q3 Surprise?

24K views 56 replies 18 participants last post by  boblepp 
#1 ·
Gentleman,

I was doing the weekly cleaning on the Q3 today and think I stumbled upon another "Easter egg" of sorts. I run a OEM cargo liner, however when I pulled the carpet section out I noticed something peculiar. The OEM carpet cover is symmetrical and can go in either way. The underside has a hard plastic tray of sorts that appears to have hand holds. I think the fact that it is symmetrical is not a coincidence and gives the option to the owner to run the hard side or the carpet. Take a look!

See less See more
#3 ·
It may be so that if you use the spare it gives you a "dirty"side to put your flat regular tire on in case of an emergency without placing it on your carpet side. I don't know, but thought it was interesting.

Reactions: deverelle
#4 ·
I believe this is referenced as a feature in the owner's manual - and is actually intended for dirty items that are loaded in the trunk. If my manual weren't out in the car on the street out front, I'd run and quote it...

#9 ·
This is good stuff!!!
It would be good to have items like this all located one thread so in that spirit I would like to add;
The storage bins under the front seats (small but still usefull) and
The little storage bin on the drivers side lower dash (again small but nice) and maybe
The reverse mirror dip...

All suprises that make a nice car just a little nicer (I know the mirror dip is in the manual but I didnt see the bins... Hum, maybe I did see at least one of the bins there but oh well, too much stuff to remember)

#10 ·
Its a reversible luggage compartment mat, you must get it as standard over there, here in the UK it is a £75 option.......the load liner you have is a better option, a bit tougher and easier to clean.

Reactions: nickjs1984
#12 ·
Yes - I think that's the basis of this thread - just notes and observations around the various options.

#13 ·
Thanks for the information on the bins unders the seats. Didn't know this till I saw this thread. I will add one that I like as well .... gas cap opens without having to pull a lever by the driver's side and locks when you lock the car.

#14 ·
Yes, I have those seat compartments on my A4. Never really used them but after reading about them on the Q3 here, checked and found some maps I stashed a while back and was wondering where they were. OOPS!

Nice to know about the fuel cap. When I test drove the Q3 we needed to stop for gas and my guy said "No Release" when I asked. I like the idea of it locking when parked and locked. A better design in my opinion.

Now...
Could someone please comment on the storage crannies in the Q3? I neglected to ask when ordering. Also, I just assumed there is a 12 volt outlet close by up front for our Garmin. Yea, I was too cheap to spring 1900 US for the built in navigator!

Thanks,

#15 ·
There is a 12v right in front of the center console..

I didnt know there was a little hanger there just up a little from the front passenger side floor mat. I dont know how to better describe that area of the car. I didnt even know it existed til I saw my wife was hanging a little bag from it that we now use to collect garbage from our kids and what not..

Also learned about the little compartment for glasses to the left of the steering wheel.. And the under seat bins..

Its not a storage area but I have used that pass thru in the middle of the rear seat a few times already... So I apparently dig that feature..

My kids dig the rear seat cup holders that magically appear from the center armrest in the back seat..

#17 ·
A feature that is readily overlooked is the Compass on the rear view mirror that can be switched on and off. When I bought my car the compass was switched off and I did not realize the Q3 had a compass until reading about it in the manual. It's been switched on ever since. :)

#21 ·
Curry Hooks...........handy for hooking the handles of your takeaway carrier onto........stops the inside of the car smelling of curry the next morning :laugh:

#25 ·
They just need to keep them (the grocery bags or curry bags) from sliding around and emptying ...

#24 ·
They are called "curry hooks"..........seriously when I worked in design they were called curry hooks, half joking but half seriously.

They are also used sometimes on the passenger side of the front centre consol so you don't even have to open the trunk when running from the takeway in the rain :laugh:

Yes, they are for hooking the handles of carrier bags on.

#28 ·
May be a surprise

Did everyone know the headlights have "Automatic headlight-range adjustment dynamic (self adjusting while driving)" so they adjust to vehicle loads to avoid glare??

At least my Canadian one does.

#30 ·
Did everyone know the headlights have "Automatic headlight-range adjustment dynamic (self adjusting while driving)" so they adjust to vehicle loads to avoid glare??

At least my Canadian one does.
Yup, we in the US do too ...

#33 · (Edited)
Hill hold is for holding the vehicle when facing uphill stationary while for example in a queue of traffic and don't want to roll back slightly when setting off again, mostly useful for manual cars, I had hillhold on my previous A6 Hybrid and found it superfluous on an auto...........for downhill, why would you need it? ;)

Maybe they should have called it "Uphillhold"? or "Oopenzeezloppylandzstoppenslideeawayze"............with apologies to a previous thread content :D

Are the manual trans even available over there?

There are the occasional little "surprise and delight" features, but alas nowadays they get fewer and fewer.

#34 ·
Are the manual trans even available over there?

There are the occasional little "surprise and delight" features, but alas nowadays they get fewer and fewer.
No manuals offered, just the Tiptronic.

And steeper hills should allow for rollback in Drive so to me the feature makes sense. Especially if towing. People here often crowd your backend at the lights.

#42 ·
Thinking about Hill Hold I don't think I ever would have needed it except when I was first learning to use a stick (ouch!!). Hill Decent might be something I'd use during our icy winters here; downshifting has worked fine in the past, but on an occasion or two the moment while stepping on the clutch it got a bit hairy. With an auto trans, no issue.

#44 ·
Is that a line from Planet of the Apes? :D

#52 ·
Or maybe not. Wikipedia provides a trove of information. Looks like Treasure of Sierra Madre is the original source for this quote.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.