Audi Q3 Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
191 Posts
@ PuroMexicano

I have had 5 Audis before this Q3 and I too notice that the ABS seems to kick in when only slightly applying the brakes. In fact, it's something I always notic at low speeds and thought it was just me being nit picky, so I'm glad you brought it up. In my opinion something is wrong with the ABS engaging with minimal pressure on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is an old post but let me chime in. I've had 3 audi's prior to the Q3 and I do find the ABS kicking in way too early. I initially thought that the Q3 just had a more sensitive system compared to older gen Audi's (B5-B6-C5). I've recently just purchased a C7 A7 and the abs sensitivity is just as bad. So maybe newer gen Audi abs are more sensitive? Possible?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Regarding the BBK. Someone installed an AP Racing Radical Big Brake Kit 4 piston 355x32mm.

Unfortunately this is my first post and this site won't let me post a link nor a picture. Too bad.

In any case. Check out Audizine in the Q3 section and u will see the post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've done a bit of research and talked to a shop in the UK that has applied a BBK to a Q3 without any modification.

They told me the Brembo BBK for the A3 8U is a direct bolt on (specifically mentioning the 6 pot caliper/rotor kit).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all! My first time here and nice to meet you all! I have had my 2016 Q3 for 10 months now is a really nice car but I always feel the brakes can use a little upgrade. I have research a little about the brembo 18z on many VW applications which seems like the best BBK upgrade, somehow I cannot find any info of the 18z being install on any Q3. I do know a friend personally has a set of 18z with mercedes GL450 350mm rotor on his VW Tiquan with 0 problems, direct bolt on with 0 modifications. I also did some research and found out our Q3 pretty much shares all the front end components with the Tiquan including all brake components and suspension components. Does that mean the same 18z with GL 350mm rotors on my friends tiquan will also fit on our Q3?

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I have to admit I am stymied by the comments above about ABS sensitivity. If you think about how ABS works, you will soon realize that there is NO sensitivity or even adjustment to the system - it's simply a matter of whether the brake is locked or not locked that the system works to keep the brakes unlocked. If you encounter a situation where you "think" that the system is too 'sensitive', rethink exactly how the system works and you will soon see that either you misjudged either the rate of deceleration desired for the speed you were traveling OR the coefficient of friction under your tire was NOT what you thought it was when you needed to stop - hence applying the brakes with enough force to "lock" when you think they shouldn't have.

There's really NO other case to be made - unless of course you have a faulty ABS controller - which still cannot be called too sensitive or needing adjustment - cuz it's already adjusted to just simply unlock a brake that has locked - as for "sensitivity", I suppose the faulty controller could release braking capacity ahead of lock, but because this is a simple binary (on-off) device, I cannot imagine how the sensor could tell the controller "almost" but not quite locked information - there just isn't a data point between locked and unlocked.

If you really think your ABS is engaging (unlocking) a brake that hasn't yet locked by reducing braking pressure (which is what the controller does to unlock a locked brake) before it can/does lock, then A) there should be a fault code in the system when scanned, and B) you have a faulty sensor or better yet controller - either/both should be addressed by warranty. Take it in and have the dealer check both -

·
Registered
103 Posts
I know what you're saying and it is completely logical.

I don't know how to explain or what is really the matter. There are no fault codes, I've checked that in the dealership.

I drive a number of cars (wife's, friend's, etc) and their braking capability is superior of that of my Q3.

Why? I don't know.

I can brake harder and extend the braking point in my wife's Sienna without ABS engaging while in my Q3 it engages. Same speed. Same place. And the Sienna is a heavier vehicle.

All in all, I believe the Q3 has not the brakes I have had in other cars/SUV I've owned.

Maybe I have faulty tires, not faulty brakes...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
When you consider that tire adhesion (grip) is AS MUCH contributing to the entire equation than vehicle mass and swept brake area, you realize the WHOLE picture. The ABS controller (at least in the Q3) simply does not have the brain to modulate friction differences other than on or off, and so then you must look elsewhere in the equation ...

Perhaps we should relate tire size and type to others in the sample to see if another correlation exists - so :

I have the 255-19 Contis and have noticed what I would consider THIS issue twice at comparatively low speeds (say <30 mph) on dry, but otherwise somewhat loose (gravelly) surfaces ... I was surprised I must admit, but looking back (literally) at the road, I surmised it was the surface not my ABS controller that compromised my "experience" in both cases.

...next?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
i may try to change things out one at a time.
the first thing to try is the pads but mine are still fine, so i think ill change out the brake lines first to see what the outcome will be. going with neuspeed ss brake lines.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The ABS engages WHEN lock-up starts to occur.....so it is not "more sensitive" than it needs to be...

Better tires will give you a higher level of deceleration before the ABS engages.....

41 - 52 of 52 Posts