Audi Q3 Forum banner

any bbk out there for the 2016 Q3

18K views 51 replies 17 participants last post by  S4'ed 
#1 ·
I was curious if there are aftermarket bbk kits out there for the car?

do these share a platform with any of the other audis?

#2 ·
I'm sure if nothing else, you can spend about $10K finding and fitting RSQ3 bits. The basic platform is essentially the same as a GTI, so candidly yes, you should be able to find BBKs for the car...

Reactions: liy
#4 ·
Careful - that's NOT what I said - I only answered your question - there may be some tweaking involved - and some sets may fit fine while others may not - ditto the A3 (new model) -

#7 ·
so I talked to stoptech today. the main guy who does the R&D of all their kits is Tyler Hauptman.
he mentioned that they don't even have the Q3 of any year in their catalog. this is the book that shows them whats on the market, current and past models.

He is going to see if there is a demand for the Q3's and see if the current A3 will bolt over. If it needs to be tweaked they can make it happen.

I hope there are some other people out there that would be interested in getting a set for the Q3's.
Let him know you would like to see one made for the car and it will help him decide if its worth it.

stoptech 310- 218-1082

#9 ·
I'd love to get a set of RSQ3 brakes for the looks but all I really need is better modulation. I will never track the Q3 so dissipating the heat from consistent heavy braking will not be an issue for me. Likely get SS brake lines and maybe better pads and call it a day.

Reactions: Quatto
#13 ·
with my recent research I can get stoptech brakes but they don't know if any of their stuff will fit.
they are willing to work with Q3 owners if there are enough buyer. they can make a workable front and/or rear for the Q3.

once that is done I can get a discount for everyone that wants one. no need to use a RSQ3 version.

#19 ·
Ok I hear you but if the Q3 is activating ABS your tires are locking up. Unless you feel the ABS is triggering without lockup being sensed. What this tells me is the Q3 has more braking power at a lower pedal effort than an S3. Or the tires are crap.

When I read the OP saying there was not enough braking power I experimented and found I had a bad habit of leaving my right heel on the floor and much of my perceived pressure was not going to the pedal but rather pushed my heel into the floor. When I raised my heel the brakes became very powerful in comparison. I wonder if something similar is happening to you in the S3 with a lower seating position relative to the pedals. Just thinking out loud here... To me, if I can get the ABS to pulse I don't need any more braking power (assuming a dry road with reasonable grip.) any engineers want to jump in??

#20 ·
tires are good, maybe the pavement is crap, who knows

What I really feel is what you said, that the ABS is engaging when lockup is still far away, meaning way more sensitive than needed.

I can get to a complete stop in less space with carefully thought brake pressure than hard braking with the ABS engaging

I'll do some road test and film it for you guys to see

That brings me to the question. What happens if I get a BBK for the Q3? will this change? what would the BBK do for braking performance?

#21 ·
snip... the ABS is engaging when lockup is still far away, meaning way more sensitive than needed.
..snip
This is not happening. You must believe that. It would require a failure of all 4 rotation sensors I think, very unlikely. If it stops straight with ABS engaging then you were about to lock up one or more wheels.

Have you considered that you simply have a lot of braking power in the Q3? And with that power you can lock up one or more wheels.

#22 ·
ABS has NOTHING to do with braking power - whatever you think that is. Which btw, is only as good as 1st, the surface you're riding on, 2nd the tires riding over that surface, 3rd the weight of your vehicle on those tires and 4th the brake surface area per ton of that weight.

All ABS does is unlock ANY wheel that is locking because of the combination of the 4 things above at EACH corner (wheel/tire combination) connected to the surface. Whether that's with 10 pounds of pedal pressure or 50 simply matters not - it's just a law of physics thing. Now YOU may feel something different with 10 pounds of pressure to get to a braking limit than with 50 pounds (I'm sure you will) and you may notice a difference in how far the pedal travels to achieve the same maximum braking effect and prolly the pedal feel (hard or spongy) but the ABS still works on simply the 4 things above - the others are just your sensory observations.

As noted above, IF ABS is working (correctly) then a tire/wheel somewhere WAS locking because of surface, tire, weight load, brake surface (which includes wet, oily or even blocked pads/discs) ...

Reactions: BobInPa
#27 ·
Modulation is using your foot to "feel" the pedal travel and pressure so you DON'T activate ABS all the time. YOU have some control over how fast and hard you stab the pedal. Don't just mash the thing to the floor for every stop - it wastes pads, gas and gives your passengers ****. Ease into it - even for a hard stop, be firm but controlled. If you need more stopping power, use it. But try to anticipate your braking needs way before you need to panic stop at every stop...

#28 ·
Got it.

That is what I do with the Q3.

In my other cars I can apply a more travel with the brake pedal before it locks up (ABS engage). In the Q3 that threshold is earlier within the pedal travel, so my hard braking is with less travel otherwise ABS will engage.

Let me explain more my feel with this graphic.

Attachments

#32 ·
Sure - pads can make a huge difference, and before I would buy a BBK, I'd check out any number of pad options -start with Pagid Blue Sport, or Orange - maybe Yellow ...

Reactions: PuroMexicano
#35 · (Edited)
so it seems like there are questions about pads.

I have gone through a multitude of cheap pepboys/ kragen pads to high end performance pads. these are great options if you need something right away with a little bit less cost up front.

as an enthusiast I have tried a lot of versions. I have even made a bbk from parts so I hope I can help out here.

buying pads have its ups and downs. doing a full setup is more than just the pads. I would usually do the full monte which will net you a very good setup but it will cost you.

the full monte includes:
a master cylinder brace,
stainless steel lines,
larger calipers front and rear,
and performance pads.

anything less would not be the same.

pads alone will help you a lot already but youll need to go with a very abrasive compound with a good temp and friction coefficient rating.
you must also understand that with better braking you need to have a higher friction that things will wear out faster, such as the rotors. most people don't like that, which just baffles me on how they don't understand this. they want great braking but no dust or wear on the parts. its like rubbing two items together. youll see thing heat up and break apart but it will start to be difficult to rub as well: friction, this is what you want in braking.

the advantage of bbk is that the calipers are larger and therefore allow a larger set of pads. which then doesn't need such an abrasive set of pads. we are then using more surface area for the friction to take place. also heat will dissipate better therefore allowing better performance over time. now that's not to say a really good set of pads wont dissipate as well but the cost of pads that does all this will be high.

cost, the upfront cost of bbk is high but it will last a bit longer in between changes. plus since the pads don't need to be super high end it will cost a little less over time.

as for the high end pads its in the hundreds of dollars each time its replaced as well as the need to replace the rotors.

still using higher end pads is better than nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.