Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We turned it down, even the basic audi care package as I didn't want to increase the monthly payments $60+.

Has anyone purchased audi care and was it worth it?

I'm reading that I can buy it up to 1 year after my purchase.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I've used Pure Protection (warranty) on 2 cars, both cases, used enough of it to cover things that paid the cost and the cars are still under coverage. My dealer is very reasonable about things though and doesn't challenge my claims or ask me to contribute unreasonably to stuff outside "normal" warranty stuff - like upholstery for example...

I got a very good price on my Q3 and decided to go for it also, so we'll see in about 4 years whether it was a smart move or not. Yes, you can wait up til a year or maybe even 18 mos to add Pure Protection, but be aware the price may change. Btw, the dealer margin on these is about 28% but they rarely discount more than about 15%, and the underwriter Fidelity, while large and popular, have a tough reputation for dealing with the customer. That's why in the end, a good relationship with your dealer/representative is important when considering these.

Here's a link to more : http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/audiusa/Documents/Audi_Protection-Term-Care-Select-Brochure.pdf

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at what it includes beyond oil changes is a lot of checking this and checking that.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
I've looked into it before and discovered it to not be worth it to me, it might be for some, or those that don't know much about it and are getting it as if to not feel like they're missing out... but I passed on it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Perhaps there's more info on this somewhere than I'm seeing in this 2 page brochure on the above link. How many additional years does this cover? How much should one expect to pay for Pure Protection on a Q3? Subaru offered a plan that provided coverage for 100k miles or 10 years for $1700 on my wife's new Outback wagon. It's pretty comprehensive and I'm tempted to take it...normally I avoid extended warranties and take my chances and figure overall it works out.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Check the internet for a broker/dealer in the Northeast - Pure Protection is available in 5 levels - with varying deductibles - it is nearly bumper-to-bumper and administrated by Fidelity Warranty Services, perhaps the largest and most solvent backer for such stuff - A Platinum Q3 Plan can be had for about $2300 - 70K miles 7 years Zero Deductible - this is at least $500 less than most Audi dealers would sell the same plan for...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks. I'm in the PNW. Did you mean northwest or is there a reason you specified northest?

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Doesn't matter where you are - the link is to a large franchised dealer in the northeast - they can offer a decent discounted price for these plans and are applicable anywhere - they are a fully licensed Audi-represented product - only your personal ownership info, VIN and CC are needed -

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased the basic plan, which has a lot of the various checking this and checking that. I was told it can be cancelled at anytime, but I did negotiate the cost down. If I cancel will I be eligible for one of the fidelity plans later? I don't see why not?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have seen several discussions around "Audi Care" and wanted to confirm the thinking on this offering. When I went in for my 5k service this week the service manager asked if I had Audi Care and said it would definitely save money on the routine service visits. Of course he said I'd have to buy it via the finance dept.

I will drive about 8k miles a year and plan to have the car for a long time. I had my mini for 10 years. I plan to use the dealer for all maintenance for at least the warranty period and will assess after that time. We have an independent shop that specializes in German cars and that's where I took Mini. They are highly reputable but not inexpensive either. I will be on an annual timeline for routine service since I won't hit the mileage limits before a year.

If Audi Care is around $800 (that's what the service manager stated) is the savings off list worth it to pre-pay? Is there any bargaining with the dealer on the price? I have also heard from a friend that the service dept sends out occasional coupons and am not sure if those would equate to the Audi Care benefits or be better/worse.

Advice please.

·
Registered
24 Posts
John, I purchased Audi Care after asking my Audi dealer to itemize their charges for the recommended maintenance services described in Audi’s 2015 MY Scheduled Maintenance Intervals. Here's what they provided:

15k – $142.91 parts, $236.30 labor = $412.83
25k – $114.13 parts, $97.30 labor = 228.60
35k – $240.81 parts, $354.45 labor = $647.28
45k – $114.13 parts, $97.30 labor = $228.60

Total: $1517.31
Audi Care: $849

Two additional services included under Audi Care are brake fluid replacement every two years and Haldex Clutch oil change every three years. These items are not included in the prices above (presumably because they are time-based, rather than mileage-based, services).

Each of these services also include BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner, BG Frigi-Fresh, and BG MOA ($45.76). If you subtract these dealer add-ons from the cost for the four maintenance services, the price would be:

Total: $1334.27

By my calculation, Audi Care is 36% less than the retail price.

I know many people say that Audi Care includes a lot of visual checks that aren’t necessarily worth the cost; so another way of looking at this is to consider the minimum parts and labor services that you’d need to perform for warranty purposes. These prices are just my estimates:

Oil changes – 4 @ $100
Dust/pollen filter – 2 @ $50
Brake fluid change – 2 @ $100
Spark plug replacement – 1 @ $150
Haldex clutch oil change – 1 @ $50

Total: $900

After considering all of this, I purchased Audi Care.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks so much for the analysis and added insights - that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm assuming / hoping this will be straight forward and not involve a negotiation process since it's not part of the vehicle purchase process. But if I get a number that's much different than $850 I'll know I need to question it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I chose Audi Care because of the $$$ savings, but also because I'm just a lot more comfortable having an Audi dealership take care of our Audi.....they are on top of the service bulletins and the items that are covered by the manufacturers warranty.

Not just that, but as there are 3 Audi service departments in my area....they are in competition to give the best customer care!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm due for my 5K soon and know the dealer will try to sell me Audicare and been reading up on it.

If you check the fine print, it's nothing more than some oil changes and checks with a flashlight. Yes it includes a spark plug change at 35k and a brake fluid change but those are the only big items. My dealer charges $78 for a synthetic oil/filter change which is more or less what these services are. They rest of the checks are pure BS on a new car which we all know they don't do at all.

They don't even include tire rotations. What I see happening is that you will go in for service and they will tack on all these extra "recommended" items just because they aren't included however are needed (such as
tire rotations).

I can't see how a dealer is looking to save you money on service. This is where their cash flow comes in.

My gut tells me to pay out of pocket as I go along. Let them do the oil changes and bigger items as they come along and I can very easily swap a pollen and air filter when needed without worrying about their markup.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I opted for it on ours for a discounted rate... Mainly for peace of mind and knowing that if an issue comes up and I have had all of the scheduled maintenance completed by the dealer then I know that we are covered. I personally think that you end up ahead with the Audi Care package...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks for the additional comments. I like having all the additional checks done and Audi's technicians should be trained to spot issues. We can debate whether one should be charge for "checking" - but time is money and to me it's reasonable to expect to pay for an inspection.... For someone that wants to do it themselves, or just do the minimum req'd for warranty and risk skipping the inspections I see how it might not pencil out. For Audi they lock in your routine maintenance business and if they find anything during those inspections, that's added business for the repair shop...so win win.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with the points you make and was ready to do it but what's bothering me is the small standard things that aren't included that I've always gotten with a standard service with other vehicles such as tire rotations every 10K.

Something tells me they are pitching it as they are trying to save you money but will start adding these items and before you know it, your paying the same as if you spent out of pocket.

Most likely I will just pay as I go along and keep the money in my pocket rather than give them a tax free loan.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts