Audi Q3 Forum banner

Audi developing more fuel-efficient Q3 for next year

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Otto 
#1 ·
Audi is planning to give the Q3 some more efficient powertrains next year. It is doing this through enhanced gasoline-powered TFSI engines, and a fuel-saving cylinder deactivation technology called "displacement on demand."

The system shuts down two cylinders when not needed to increase fuel efficiency by 7 percent.

The changes are part of the Audi Q3's mid-cycle refresh which will come out in Europe in Europe in February 2015, and later in the US.

Audi expects that the Q3 will be able to overtake the BMW X1 in global sales as X1 production is expected to fall by 20,000 units this year in Europe due to decreased demand.

Again, the annoying thing is that the US won't be offered this refreshed Audi Q3 off the at. They will have to buy the current generation or wait till the newer one comes out a few months later.

#2 ·
Audi is planning to give the Q3 some more efficient powertrains next year. It is doing this through enhanced gasoline-powered TFSI engines, and a fuel-saving cylinder deactivation technology called "displacement on demand."

The system shuts down two cylinders when not needed to increase fuel efficiency by 7 percent.

The changes are part of the Audi Q3's mid-cycle refresh which will come out in Europe in Europe in February 2015, and later in the US.

Audi expects that the Q3 will be able to overtake the BMW X1 in global sales as X1 production is expected to fall by 20,000 units this year in Europe due to decreased demand.

Again, the annoying thing is that the US won't be offered this refreshed Audi Q3 off the at. They will have to buy the current generation or wait till the newer one comes out a few months later.
I don't like the sound of that. At least one good thing with getting the 1st gen model.

#4 · (Edited)
I realized that times have changed. But back in the 80's GM built the 4/6/8 engine and it was a disaster

When the car got to a certain speed the 8 cyl's would shut down to 6 and then 4.

Maybe Audi got it right, maybe they didn't.

We had a MB GLK350 for 1 week back in the summer and it had the start/stop feature. I did get used to it, but what's the long term verdict on the engine that shuts down each time you come to a complete stop and starts again when hitting the gas pedal. I hardly doubt MB had long term effects on the possibility of what could happen.

Lets just say that your in the middle of an intersection waiting to turn and because of oncoming traffic you need to come to a complete stop...so the engine shuts down. Can MB guarantee without a doubt that the engine will start again before the cross traffic starts to move.

Yes a car can break down at any time, but why push the envelope.

#5 ·
Start/Stop has been a feature in the EU for more than 4 years and mandatory for almost 2. I think the record is pretty substantial that it's reliable and can always be turned off or even adjusted somewhat for stop sensitivity to accommodate the exact nature of circumstances you describe...

I have driven with cars so equipped for more than 5K miles and other than initial getting used to, have never noticed apprehension or concern for sytstem failure. I even got used to it enough that upon return to the states was alarmed that my cars here were not stopping by themselves. In fact, I now often shutdown on my own in traffic or at a RR crossing to conserve rather than just idle on ... It's quite amazing to simply be in line for gas at Costco or like and realize how many folks are burning up so much fuel just waiting blythely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.