Audi Q3 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Drive mode?

My drive select is in Automatic, My transmission is in D. Is that what you meant?
Yes the former: Automatic.
My wife's already found dynamic mode.
There goes our around town mpg!:eek:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just did another 300+ miles in my wife's Q3 (we split the driving "duties" about 50/50), and this time it was almost all winding back country roads with speeds from 30 to 60 mph.....result: 29.9 mpg.

So with less than 1000 miles on the car, and while running on 33 lbs of pressure in all four tires....we are getting a comfortable ride and good mileage.

And we're getting good grip at that pressure too, as about 25% of our driving was in the rain (and some mud) as we pushed harder and harder to try to get a little slide out of the car through some of the turns without much success. Maybe once we get on the skid plate on the track we'll be a little less white-knuckled at this endeavor, but for now we're just enjoying the journey and not caring about the destination. :p

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
One thing that helps is keeping your vehicles exterior clean since that helps to cut down on wind resistance. Maintaining the exterior is even better if you take pride in a flawless exterior.

·
Registered
302 Posts
One thing that helps is keeping your vehicles exterior clean since that helps to cut down on wind resistance. Maintaining the exterior is even better if you take pride in a flawless exterior.
Hmm, well I don't really want to get into a discussion of the drag curve of a Q3 here, but I would conjecture that as skin friction drag rises with the square of the velocity, we are seeing next to zero drag from the mud on the car when driving at legal speeds, especially compared to the Q3's interference and form drag, also part of the overall effect of parasitic drag.

I should have taken a picture of our car when we returned from our outing....about the only part of the car that was not brown on the outside was where the wipers had been furiously working. Good thing we didn't need those non-existent headlight washers. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just did another 300+ miles in my wife's Q3 (we split the driving "duties" about 50/50), and this time it was almost all winding back country roads with speeds from 30 to 60 mph.....result: 29.9 mpg.

So with less than 1000 miles on the car, and while running on 33 lbs of pressure in all four tires....we are getting a comfortable ride and good mileage. :p
Why did you decide on 33 when the consensus seems top be 44 and the B pillar says 44?

I am envious of your mileage. My first tank was 17.9. I hope it gets better.

~Bob

·
Registered
302 Posts
Why did you decide on 33 when the consensus seems top be 44 and the B pillar says 44?
That's a good question....but the answer is simple, 33/is the pressure that was in the tires when we picked it up from the dealer (just as your dealer set your tires too, as I recall.)

The owner's manual (pages 202-203) indicates 33/33 psi is the proper pressure for "normal" operations and 44/46 is the pressure under "maximum load." But it also clearly states the B-pillar numbers take precedence.

We are enjoying the performance and ride of the tires set at 33/33, but tomorrow we'll increase the pressure to 44/46 and give that a try. I will report back the results if there are any noticeable operational differences between the two pressures.

·
Registered
400 Posts
That's a good question....but the answer is simple, 33/is the pressure that was in the tires when we picked it up from the dealer (just as your dealer set your tires too, as I recall.)

The owner's manual (pages 202-203) indicates 33/33 psi is the proper pressure for "normal" operations and 44/46 is the pressure under "maximum load." But it also clearly states the B-pillar numbers take precedence.

We are enjoying the performance and ride of the tires set at 33/33, but tomorrow we'll increase the pressure to 44/46 and give that a try. I will report back the results if there are any noticeable operational differences between the two pressures.
Please do! Our Q3s came with 44 so I left it there. As it cools down for Fall/Winter these pressures will drop a bit. I am happy with the ride at 44 but have not tried it as 33 to see how it feels.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Wow-that's a wide range for normal driving: 33 vs 44.

I usually put in a couple of extra pounds for the winter air but I can't imagine these things requiring up to 44 lbs in normal load mode.

That's got to be a German misstatement.
I haven't checked our tires yet. Been busy taking care of other details - like car detailing - I can't believe a small cross over like the Q3 recommending 44lbs for everyday use & normal load.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just read something interesting. My older A4 had a B pillar sticker with pressures depending on car load. Evidently, the gummint decided that was confusing for drivers so mandated that ONLY the max recommended pressure should appear on the B pillar! So the 44 likely is max and 33 likely minimum for the Q3.

I think I am going to try running 38 for best handling, wear and mileage.

~Bob

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just read something interesting. My older A4 had a B pillar sticker with pressures depending on car load. Evidently, the gummint decided that was confusing for drivers so mandated that ONLY the max recommended pressure should appear on the B pillar! So the 44 likely is max and 33 likely minimum for the Q3.

I think I am going to try running 38 for best handling, wear and mileage.

~Bob
I re-RTFM last night & it describes 33 PSI for 3 "normal" sized passengers.
44 PSI would be for max load as calc by looking at what's printed the B-Pillar plate and subtracting how much a total of 5 passenger weighted.

This will tell you how much "stuff" you can carry along with your 5 people.

That said, I agree with your proxy of halfway between the Max & Min & will crib it for my settings.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I re-RTFM last night & it describes 33 PSI for 3 "normal" sized passengers.
44 PSI would be for max load as calc by looking at what's printed the B-Pillar plate and subtracting how much a total of 5 passenger weighted.

This will tell you how much "stuff" you can carry along with your 5 people.

That said, I agree with your proxy of halfway between the Max & Min & will crib it for my settings.
;)After being "goaded" into it by others on this forum, I increased the pressure in my tires from 33/33 to 44/46, but not without a little discussion with a couple of my Audi service reps....and we came to the same consensus as you, Q3User.

As mentioned in another post, on delivery the dealer set the pressure at 33/33 as that is recommended by the owner's manual....and it is the pressure the majority of the dealer's customers have said they prefer.

As I write this I am sitting in the co-pilot's seat as my wife cruises around the countryside and through the city seeing how she likes the feel of the higher pressure and the resultant difference in gas mileage. We're going to stop by our local trusted tire dealer to get their opinion, and by I'm guessing the final PSI will be somewhere between 33 and 44.....probably around 38....stay tuned.

OBTW, the owner's manual and B pillar on the Q5 we borrowed this week both recommended 33/33 for that car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Today was day one of 38 all around. I thought the ride over speed bumps and potholes and normal driving just fine, but felt it did not hold corners on twisties as well as 44. I am very curious what you all decide on.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I hope I have NOT been a "goader" since all I have said is what I run mine at, and why I do. That being said, at the risk of repeating myself, higher pressures mean less rolling resistance which CAN (not MUST) lead to greater fuel economy. It also slightly reduces the contact patch, but decreases the side and tread flexibility (stiffer ride). BUT, the last one also reduces heat buildup and gives sharper steering inputs (less slip angle) which give the tires more responsiveness. Lastly, higher pressures increase the load tolerance (a function of heat resistance).

Audi sets the pressures that give the best or optimum ride, fuel economy and responsiveness for their feeling of what this vehicle is about and how it will be driven by the "nominal" driver. When loads are higher or full, higher pressures are recommended to maintain performance AND safety (at the likely compromise of ride quality - but this happens anyway when loaded). Loaded and higher pressures offset each other for fuel economy - or loaded wins -er, loses in this case.

As for responsiveness, slip angles etc. - all VERY subjective for each driver, and Audi cannot possibly predict the population distribution for sporty vs, normal vs, soccer moms, vs grandmothers, etc. any better than they already have. As for me, I'm still in the Sporty category and set my pressures for MY style of driving and expectations - Please don't take my own opinions for myself as trying to influence or goad anyone...at the same time, when asked, I'll share, but I try to note the context for everyone's benefit/info.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mine are at 44 as I have noted before. I have not tried it at 33. I must say Roger's comment about gas mileage is spot on. I took a short but all highway trip yesterday and hit 35MPG! This Q3 is exceeding my gas mileage expectations!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Trying 35 now. Have not settled on a favorite pressure just yet.

Best gas mileage has been 31. Averaging 19.4 combined. Not quite what I had hoped. But I do drive aggressively.

~Bob

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Just for the sake of info, I had not reset my second trip ODO/data and with the recent Road Atlanta trip from Greenville 99% highway, I have documented 29 mpg at 78 mph in pouring rain - which for me is just dandy. This was NOT using cruise as I was caravaning and just used my foot. SprintBooster was off in one direction and on (red) the other, made less than a 1 mpg difference (lower) but I could easily attribute that to rain as well.

My to-date data (2887 miles) with mostly in-town driving except for the specific 260 miles noted above, was 19.7 mpg at 34 mph (including the trip above). As others have noted this is still in break-in mode and I expect improvements going forward. Also NO detectable oil consumption at this point either - I will do my 1year oil change prolly in about 4 weeks at somewhere near 3500 miles. We will take the Q3 to Charleston just before the service and that will garner another couple hundred miles of data...

Reactions: BobInPa

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just completed my first mileage calc which was based on only about a half tank used for a mix of around town work commute and highway driving. We're only talking about 185 miles driven but average was just below 24MPG. Since the rating is 20 city and 28 Hwy I would say this is about spot on. I'm going to keep calculating it on a per fill up basis and see how we do under various scenarios.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts