Audi Q3 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
I just completed my first mileage calc which was based on only about a half tank used for a mix of around town work commute and highway driving. We're only talking about 185 miles driven but average was just below 24MPG. Since the rating is 20 city and 28 Hwy I would say this is about spot on. I'm going to keep calculating it on a per fill up basis and see how we do under various scenarios.
Hey John,

Wait until you take an all freeway trip. You will shoot over 30MPG!

Very exciting! John

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ok, just back from a trip to California that involved around 1000 miles driving, mostly highway/freeway and largely at speeds of 65-75 MPH and often with AC on.

Mileage on fill ups ranged from a high of 30.5 to a low of 24.6 and overall mileage was 27.7. On the way to CA it's generally downhill as we start at 3800ft elevation and end close to sea level and mileage was 30 on the first 400 miles. It appears to me that overall we hit spot or just slightly above the 28MPG highway mileage mark if you exclude the city driving portion. When I consider the speed and use of AC this implies I could do better than 28MPG if I was going closer to 60MPH with no AC.

While it was a fun trip and we loved the performance of the Q3, it was nice to return to Central Oregon's gas price of $2.50 Vs California's $3.09 to $3.19.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I read before that waxing a vehicle and keeping it clean can contribute to better fuel economy since it will cut through wind easily, less wind resistance which makes sense.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I read before that waxing a vehicle and keeping it clean can contribute to better fuel economy since it will cut through wind easily, less wind resistance which makes sense.
No offense intended, but as we might say in the South, 'That's kinda like squeezin' a frog's a$$ to raise the level of the lake ...' ;)

·
Registered
400 Posts
I took another freeway trip this past weekend. 175 miles - nearly all freeway. Cruise set at 70 for most of the trip.
Averaged 31MPG for the trip. Just outstanding!

·
Registered
64 Posts
My new Q3's MPG so far

As I was driving home from the dealer I hit the reset on the computer doing around 65mph on the highway. After about 20 miles of solid highway driving at this speed I looked at the computer and was averaging 36MPG!

I've also been tracking my drives to work which is all stop and go (no highway) and there I get from 18-21MPG so it looks like the advertised city miles are about right but the highway miles (if you look at it as pure highway - no on-ramps etc.) can be considerably better.

So far my overall average is around 23MPG but that includes mostly city driving. Overall considering the weight and power of this car I think the economy is about as expected.

BTW, the manual says use premium fuel but I've heard of people using 87 with no problems. Is the engine actually tuned for 93 and will it therefore get better MPG with premium? I realize that with high compression (as with using the turbo) that high octane is key but what if you are keeping it light? Without the turbo this is a fairly low compression engine. Just wondering because I'm still on my dealer tank and I have no idea what they put in it.

-Andy

·
Registered
152 Posts
I wish I was close to your results!!

I cannot get better than 30 highway and around town is abysmal - 10-16. 1,900 miles have averaged 19.2. I wonder if I am running too rich?

~Bob

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I wish I was close to your results!!

I cannot get better than 30 highway and around town is abysmal - 10-16. 1,900 miles have averaged 19.2. I wonder if I am running too rich?

~Bob
or your right foot is ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok, so what about fuel? Is everyone running 93 in their Q3's? If you don't use the turbo does it affect the MPGs? Not that I don't plan on using the turbo after the break-in but I was just curious how this engine is setup and if there is any benefit to using Premium gas.

-Andy

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
You cannot NOT use the turbo - it's NOT optional - it's ALWAYS on, spinning and providing power even at idle. While some feel it's okay to use less than premium fuel, I would not DARE to do this as the difference in performance and reliability is simply not worth it. Buy a Toyota instead -

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok, that's what I was looking for. I didn't know the turbo was always adding compression. That's actually a good idea as it would reduce lag. In my old Supra (yes I had a Toyota and it was a great car) the turbo did not provide any boost until you got on it hard. It did require premium fuel and you could notice the difference if you didn't use it. Since the Q3 has no boost gauge it's hard to tell what is going on there.

My salesman said it would run on any fuel and I believe he put regular gas in it. This had me concerned. I really never planned on running anything other than Premium but someone on here said they ran 87 and could not tell the difference so I thought I'd ask if I missed something. Right now I'm getting great mileage on the dealer tank so I expect even better results when I fill it up.

I was also looking at the APR ECU upgrades and they talk about optimizing for 93 octane so it made me wonder if this engine wasn't already setup for 93 or maybe 89 and are being conservative so people don't mess up their engines selecting the wrong fuel. They also claim an increase in mileage but I find that hard to believe they can do both.

Anyway, I'm loving this car and am really excited about the tweaking potential it has.

-Andy

·
Registered
400 Posts
You cannot NOT use the turbo - it's NOT optional - it's ALWAYS on, spinning and providing power even at idle. While some feel it's okay to use less than premium fuel, I would not DARE to do this as the difference in performance and reliability is simply not worth it. Buy a Toyota instead -

This is a bit alarmist Roger (unless you are being sarcastic). The Owners Manual clearly states that the car can run on 87 without any issue but 91 is preferred for optimum performance. The gas stations around here offer: 87, 89, and 93. So there is no way to actually get 91 and it doesn't make much difference in my experience - except to your wallet as the 93 is typically 40 cents more the 87.

John

P.S. Yes, I realize I restarted the passionate debate about gasoline......:crying:

·
Registered
6 Posts
John, it's all about the "knock". The higher octane fuels have additives that make them burn slower, thus preventing pre detonation resulting in "pinging/knock". My personal opinion is to use what the manual recommends for optimal performance, which has been proven over rigorous testing by Audi for this engine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to start up and old debate.

I've done some presentations on eco cars and how compression affects efficiency and thus the need for higher octane to resist ignition. It all boils down to how an engine is designed and if it can adjust for pre-ignition. This is usually only an issue with high compression ratios or turbo chargers which provide variable compression depending on when the turbo spools up to a point that it can actually increase compression. Thus the reason for my question. It is doubtful that the turbo does much at low RPM and therefore the need for high octane in an eco driving situation is less.

The bottom line is that there is absolutely no benefit to premium fuel if the engine is not designed to take advantage of it. Conversely, if you run regular in an engine designed for premium you can cause excessive wear due to timing shifts.

Since the APR "retune" adds so much more power it also implies that the engine is not currently "tuned" to require 93 octane. It purely depends on how it can adjust its timing on the fly and what the max compression is at full turbo boost.

From what I'v found the jury is split on weather this engine is setup to require high octane. Therefore I assumed that this being a very low compression engine (un-boosted) then it stands to reason that the higher octane may provide a benefit or even be required depending on the amount of lead in your foot.

-Andy

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
@ Nxtr6 and PTI-Andy : Couldn't've said it better ... thanks -

·
Registered
302 Posts
Didn't buy our Q3 for its mileage numbers, and honestly don't care about such numbers because we drive the car for fun, BUT on a recent 736 mile trip that included mountain roads, some city driving, and interstates, we couldn't help but notice the mileage....30.7mpg.

It's been written on this forum that mileage numbers will get better after the engine is "broken-in," and that looks to be spot-on, as we now have over 6,000 miles on the odometer, and during a similar trip when the car had less than 1,000 miles, it got just over 27mpg.

Oh, and we've always used the highest octane rated fuel available....92 or 93.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Just curious at what average speed that was. My car now has about 7K on it and at an average highway trip of 650 miles at 77 mph, only get about 28.5 mpg - also it's life on 93 ...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just curious at what average speed that was. My car now has about 7K on it and at an average highway trip of 650 miles at 77 mph, only get about 28.5 mpg - also it's life on 93 ...
The computer read 63 mph.

I would say our average speed on the interstate was around 70 (I never exceeded 80 that I recall), and that included some very steep climbs (the highest elevation we reached was 4300') and descents through the Siskiyou Mountains.

A lot of city driving at both ends of the trip brought the speed average down somewhat, but there is no way we could average your 77 mph on our truck jammed I-5 without gaining a lot of state police interest.....especially on the Memorial Day weekend. :rolleyes:

61 - 80 of 88 Posts