Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well does the blind spot monitoring system work?

It is one of those recent developments that I have a lot of interest in, but I know can be annoying if it is over zealous.
A couple of my friends have new Subarus with every driving nanny on the face of the earth. They seem to be blinking and beeping all the time except when they try to demonstrate it for me, then they don’t work at all. Hats off to Subaru for making these safety features very affordable. But I owned a Forester and didn’t like it, so they are off my radar.

What is it with the electronic safety features on German cars sold in the US. Either they aren’t available at any price or only available at an exorbitant price.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The side assist works very nicely and it's really not annoyng.

Whenver another car comes up on your side, there's 4 small lights that go on until the car passes you.

You also have the option to turn it off. While I wouldn't have paid for it as to me it's no big deal, but the Mrs. wanted it, plus the back up camera.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Whenver another car comes up on your side, there's 4 small lights that go on until the car passes you.

You also have the option to turn it off. While I wouldn't have paid for it as to me it's no big deal, but the Mrs. wanted it, plus the back up camera.
Ditto!
Not annoying or only as annoying as you want it to be. I think it works really well...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Land Rover has these already ...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts

Another ditto from me - same system I have on my S5 (2009) and works just as well -

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another ditto from me - same system I have on my S5 (2009) and works just as well -
A few lights mounted on the mirror doesn’t sound annoying at all. Especially considering that is where you should be looking before making a move anyway.

One more question. If you turn on your turn signal while the lights are lit, does an audible alarm occur?

·
Registered
451 Posts
A few lights mounted on the mirror doesn’t sound annoying at all. Especially considering that is where you should be looking before making a move anyway.

One more question. If you turn on your turn signal while the lights are lit, does an audible alarm occur?
Good question, but I don't have the answer as the warning lights prevents me from changing lanes.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobInPa

Side Assist uses a separate set of LEDs mounted into the base/arm of the mirror, not the turn signal indicator LEDs at the edge. You can code an audible with the LEDs in MMI or VCDS I believe ...(or I seem to think I have that option on my S5).

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
The system works very well and is variable depending on your rate of speed vs. the potential car in your blind spot. So if a car is coming up on the side at a way higher rate of speed you will notice it giving you a warning well in advance. Also if you are blowing by a bunch of traffic you might not get any warning at all because by the time its in your blind spot its already safe to switch lanes.

You will also notice that the warning light blinks to catch your attention even more when you have your turn signal on and someone is in the spot.. All in all I dig it...

I dont know about being able to turn an audible alarm on but that would annoy me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like a worthwhile option, especially when part of the seemingly necessary rear camera package.

Thanks All

·
Registered
451 Posts
It's a German thing.
If i remember correctly it's at least $6,000 to get a rear camera on an X1. And still no blind spot monitoring.
I find it very annoying that even Audi with the tech package keeps the nav and back up camera separate.

I prefer the old days when eveything pretty much was an option and there were no packages.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actually you can buy the driver assistance package that comes with a back up camera on the X1 for $865.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just get the prestige package and don't worry about it.. By the time you add up all the option upgrades on the premium it's pretty much the same thing.. Car loans are still pretty cheap these days so spread it out over a few years and you won't even feel it

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually you can buy the driver assistance package that comes with a back up camera on the X1 for $865.
In order to get the $950 Driver Assistance Package on an X1 you have to also get the $2250 Technology Package.

I don't have any interest in having built-in navigation which is what the BMW Technology Package boils down to. I have a new Garmin GPS with Voice Command, Free Traffic and Lifetime maps.

The Q3 is a way better value than the X1. Equally optioned the X1 is about $6000 more.

·
Registered
451 Posts
In order to get the $950 Driver Assistance Package on an X1 you have to also get the $2250 Technology Package.

I don't have any interest in having built-in navigation which is what the BMW Technology Package boils down to. I have a new Garmin GPS with Voice Command, Free Traffic and Lifetime maps.

The Q3 is a way better value than the X1. Equally optioned the X1 is about $6000 more.
Yep, just checked. Not sure how this can be done, but we need to stop this BS of packaging for items we don't want.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts