Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case anybody is interested, I thought I'd share some pictures of how I carry my bike on my Q3. I am using Audi factory roof carrier bars (8U0071151) and a Yakima Frontloader bike carrier. I have only used it a couple times, but it seems to work great.

Herby

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Looks really good Herby!!:)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Do you still fit under everything you need to with the extra height?

Does look good though. Where do you transport your bike to to go riding?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same base rack and the OEM bike rack 8T0071128.

Works beautifully!

Have to watch out for the low flying UFOs. :)
Will detach full assembly in no time.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Awesome. Good to see you also go biking.
How much did you end up paying for the roof rack?
Would you have considered a rear mounted bike rack or would that have not worked for you at all?

·
Registered
603 Posts
The rear rack can obstruct your view a bit, but I'd prefer that because getting the bike on top of the car is a pain. Much easier putting the bike into the rear rack.

·
Registered
914 Posts
The rear rack can obstruct your view a bit, but I'd prefer that because getting the bike on top of the car is a pain. Much easier putting the bike into the rear rack.
Very true, even backing into parking spots is tough, same with pulling out of them as you don't want to hit the cars next to you, but in my past experience i learned to park at the end of the parking lot so I have all the space I need to not have to worry about that.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Very true, even backing into parking spots is tough, same with pulling out of them as you don't want to hit the cars next to you, but in my past experience i learned to park at the end of the parking lot so I have all the space I need to not have to worry about that.
I'm usually fine parking far away. I don't mind walking some more, but in the winter it can be tough. Usually I am not transporting my bike in the winter though so it really doesn't matter so much to me. :D

·
Registered
914 Posts
I'm usually fine parking far away. I don't mind walking some more, but in the winter it can be tough. Usually I am not transporting my bike in the winter though so it really doesn't matter so much to me. :D
I don't ride in the winter and don't use boxes or baskets. So for me, winter is a breeze :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there!

I recently purchase a Q3 and so far I'm in love it! I really need to throw a bike rack on it but I rather get back rack setup rather than on the roof. Does anyone know of a good brand to look into that will fit the Q3?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'd love to find a rear one also if anyone has bought one that fits. So afraid though with the clips that go onto the car that it'll scratch the paint. I'd love to get a hitch carrier but they're so expensive.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Has anyone tried putting their bike into the cargo compartment with the rear seats folded and the bike's front wheel removed?
I used to do this with two bikes on a regular basis in my 1999 MKIV GTI. The bonus is you can park your car and bikes where ever you wosh with no worries. If two bikes fit in older smaller GTI, they almost have to fit in a Q3.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Q3 looks nice with a bike rack.

Now you need to buy a road cycle like mine! >:D

Reactions: Quatto

·
Registered
914 Posts
Hi there!

I recently purchase a Q3 and so far I'm in love it! I really need to throw a bike rack on it but I rather get back rack setup rather than on the roof. Does anyone know of a good brand to look into that will fit the Q3?
Congrats on buying a Q3, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do u guys by any chance know the exact part number for the base carrier for our q3? Is it the same as or will the Audi Q5 base carrier fit on our q3?

·
Registered
2 Posts
First post here, hello all. Just purchased a Q3, and I want to use my existing Yakima Forklift bike racks on it. Yakima says I can use their Railgrab towers and their round crossbars. I'm concerned as the Audi flush rails don't have an inboard notch, which the Railgrab seems to need. I'll probably go with the Audi factory roof carrier bars 8U0071151.
My question is does anyone have any experience with the Audi base rack and Yakima Forklift?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Following up to my post of 6 March, I just now tested a Yakima Forklift with the Audi base carrier bars, and they work just fine together. No worries with the roof glass opening. It's close, but the 0.5" clearance is still a clearance. Tailgate lifts just fine. I may follow up with a picture or two.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts